Clear All

Re: Tom Anastos, it's time to resign

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
    This is false, MSU at NMU was the second weekend of the 2002-03 regul

http://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/mich...key/2002-2003/
    My apologies.

Comment

The obvious solution that's coming is that the department keeps Anastos as a fund raiser, something like WMU did with Jim Culhane or Notre Dame did with Dave Poulin. Since the renovations at Munn are still not to the level that the program is convinced they need (new locker rooms, concourse improvements, plaza entry, etc.) they need a point person to spearhead the effort. Anastos is well connected and organized, and we know he's a great marketer - he's just not cut out to be the head coach.

So put him in a position where he can help the program, avoid the big payout to remove him, and get a coaching staff that can recruit and win games. That sounds like the best possible solution in what is quickly becoming an untenable situation.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        The obvious solution that's coming is that the department keeps Anastos as a fund raiser, something like WMU did with Jim Culhane or Notre Dame did with Dave Poulin. Since the renovations at Munn are still not to the level that the program is convinced they need (new locker rooms, concourse improvements, plaza entry, etc.) they need a point person to spearhead the effort. Anastos is well connected and organized, and we know he's a great marketer - he's just not cut out to be the head coach.

So put him in a position where he can help the program, avoid the big payout to remove him, and get a coaching staff that can recruit and win games. That sounds like the best possible solution in what is quickly becoming an untenable situation.
        Aside from an early ability to occasionally score some goals (something that has pretty much disappeared over the last 13 games) this MSU season is beginning to resemble Poulin's last season more and more. Notre Dame closed Poulin's last campaign with a 19 game winless streak (0-17-2) and scored just 27 goals over that time frame. MSU has scored just 21 goals during the last 13 games, going 1-12 in the process.

State fans who want a change are going to be in an untenable position over the season's final 6 weeks of the season. You want to root for your boys to win games, but should there be some improvement over the final 1/3 of the season, Anastos may buy himself more time behind the bench. So do you root for the bottom to finish falling out and the team to basically quit on the coaching staff, much like it did for Poulin and Notre Dame in 2005 making his departure an absolute necessity? Sometimes you gotta amputate a limb to save the rest of the body. I say bite the bullet and hope that the December win against Wisconsin was the final one of the 2015-16 season. My guess is that will get the coaching change this team really does need.

Comment

If that were the case, the money would have been raised by now. Or, at the very least, we would have had some sort of update -- any sort of update, good, bad or indifferent -- a while ago. MSU has been trying to get the needed funds for the "front door" for years. The project, apparently, is either stalled or dead.

I don't think the project is even listed on the Spartan Fund website anymore. I know they removed the status bar at the bottom of the page a while ago.

IIRC, the AD is trying to raise $25 million. A bad coach for an increasingly irrelevant team that will approach 30 losses this season won't help that pursuit, regardless of his connection to high-dollar donors.
          Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
          66 - 86 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
          59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
            Aside from an early ability to occasionally score some goals (something that has pretty much disappeared over the last 13 games) this MSU season is beginning to resemble Poulin's last season more and more. Notre Dame closed Poulin's last campaign with a 19 game winless streak (0-17-2) and scored just 27 goals over that time frame. MSU has scored just 21 goals during the last 13 games, going 1-12 in the process.

State fans who want a change are going to be in an untenable position over the season's final 6 weeks of the season. You want to root for your boys to win games, but should there be some improvement over the final 1/3 of the season, Anastos may buy himself more time behind the bench. So do you root for the bottom to finish falling out and the team to basically quit on the coaching staff, much like it did for Poulin and Notre Dame in 2005 making his departure an absolute necessity? Sometimes you gotta amputate a limb to save the rest of the body. I say bite the bullet and hope that the December win against Wisconsin was the final one of the 2015-16 season. My guess is that will get the coaching change this team really does need.
            I have a hard time imagining what it would take for me to actually root against MSU hockey. It hasn't happened yet and won't happen this season. Maybe it helps that I fully believe this will be Anastos' final year and that this team is not capable of a spectacular turnaround. I can tell you that I have reached a state where I am pretty emotionally dead when it comes to losing. It just does not give me pause anymore. I was really hoping for that win against Minny on Saturday and when we blew another 3rd period lead it just caused me to roll my eyes a bit and move on.

Anyway, I would hate for the players and coaches to endure the disgrace of a season that is winless from here on out.

It's also fun to crap in the Cheerios of teams that are actually competing for something.
            Last edited by Pirateasaur; 01-18-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty much in the root against camp at this point. I want us to beat Michigan, but even then the blowouts against them put more pressure on Anastos from the non-hockey diehards than a 15-5 series against Minnesota or PSU would have.

This would've been much better last year when the league was definitely a one bid league (looks like we could get up to 3) but I think the best troll job would be to finish the year on a 1-25 streak or whatever it would be, then win the tournament in St Paul and knock out PSU or Minnesota from the NCAAs.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

Yes. Thank you. My thoughts exactly. It is very difficult with wanting to see the Boys succeed, yet wanting tCHHCoMSU to leave. Saturday's game was rough, holding a 1 goal lead at the start of the third, and watching it evaporate slowly into defeat. One wants to cheer them on, but knowing that any small success may let him keep his job........tough.

Comment

Not only is he a terrible coach but TA is also one of the worst dressed coaches in D-1. His all-black ensemble Sunday was straight out of 2002. Get with the program, Tom. You make $300k+.
                  Last edited by Dirty Dream No. 2; 01-18-2016, 08:01 PM.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                    Not only is he a terrible coach but TA is also one of the worst dressed coaches in D-1. His all-black ensemble Sunday was straight out of 2002. Get with the program, Tom. You make $300k+.
                    Here's a good thing about Anastos: He brought the classic script jerseys out of Nike-driven euthanasia. He knows something about style.

Frankly, I thought his all-black getup didn't look all that bad. That said, I'm also wearing a flannel shirt at work today that should have been thrown out 15 years ago.
                    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

• Re: Tom Anastos, it's time to resign

I do give Anastos credit for opening the door to every person out there with very little or no coaching experience that they too can possibly end up taking over the head coaching job of a major college hockey program. Thanks Tom from all the guys with next to nothing in coaching experience .

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        If that were the case, the money would have been raised by now. Or, at the very least, we would have had some sort of update -- any sort of update, good, bad or indifferent -- a while ago. MSU has been trying to get the needed funds for the "front door" for years. The project, apparently, is either stalled or dead.

I don't think the project is even listed on the Spartan Fund website anymore. I know they removed the status bar at the bottom of the page a while ago.

IIRC, the AD is trying to raise $25 million. A bad coach for an increasingly irrelevant team that will approach 30 losses this season won't help that pursuit, regardless of his connection to high-dollar donors.
                        Hey, what could better demonstrate his desire to see the program improve than removing himself as the head coach? I think that alone would show the commitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Hey, what could better demonstrate his desire to see the program improve than removing himself as the head coach? I think that alone would show the commitment.
                          I'm sure for a big enough check, he'd be willing to do that. It's not like he hasn't sold out before.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                            Here's a good thing about Anastos: He brought the classic script jerseys out of Nike-driven euthanasia. He knows something about style.

Frankly, I thought his all-black getup didn't look all that bad. That said, I'm also wearing a flannel shirt at work today that should have been thrown out 15 years ago.
                            I also liked the all black. And that is what's important here.

Comment

All this is precisely what TA sold Hollis on from the start, imho. These points comprise about 80% of the argument as to why he needs to stay. But the product on the ice is what tells me it's not as head coach. To me it's the perfect solution (but I'm not as confident that that's coming).

This is a huge reason TA is almost the exact 180 from his predecessor: Good rapport with his student-athletes, has reached out to the important Spartan hockey family lines, good marketing sense and fresh, workable ideas, better recruiting energy and approach ... almost no experience, doesn't have a great sense for adjustments with X's & O's, underwhelming skill development. I think I can counter each one of the above with its opposite when Comley was here.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                                All this is precisely what TA sold Hollis on from the start, imho. These points comprise about 80% of the argument as to why he needs to stay. But the product on the ice is what tells me it's not as head coach. To me it's the perfect solution (but I'm not as confident that that's coming).

This is a huge reason TA is almost the exact 180 from his predecessor: Good rapport with his student-athletes, has reached out to the important Spartan hockey family lines, good marketing sense and fresh, workable ideas, better recruiting energy and approach ... almost no experience, doesn't have a great sense for adjustments with X's & O's, underwhelming skill development. I think I can counter each one of the above with its opposite when Comley was here.
                                I agree with just about all you say here. I would like to think that tCHHCoMSU could be shifted into a 'Development role for Fundraising, not just for Hockey, but all of the Athletic Department, and then hire someone who can Coach these kids and develop their on ice skills.
                                Where I disagree, is Rick Comley's reaching out to the Spartan Hockey Families (the Millers etc.)
                                I believe he did reach out, and was rebuffed in his attempt. Maybe (my thoughts) because he was not who they thought the program should be given to. Maybe they received their wish, to appoint the new HC when tCHHCoMSU was chosen with the caveat that one of their own was to be hired as an assistant.
                                As someone who is a bit of a conspiracy theorist.....My thoughts.
                                By the way.........I still think there were shots from the 'Grassy Knoll.

Comment

Working...
                                X