NHL Announces 1st Women's Winter Classic Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL Announces 1st Women's Winter Classic Game

For those who do not know of them Denna has two sisters playing at Harvard Brianna (G - H'17) and Lexie (F - H'18)

What a horrible thing!!

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
      For those who do not know of them Denna has two sisters playing at Harvard Brianna (G - H'17) and Lexie (F - H'18)

What a horrible thing!!
      Have not been on this site for a a while. Just heard about this today. Tragic and Sad. Seen her play many times when she was with Assabet and Princeton. Great player. Our prayers are with her and her family.

Comment

Hockey player plans to sue NHL following spinal injury

http://nypost.com/2016/01/13/female-...spinal-injury/
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I think they should sue the company that made the stick she tripped over and the the company that made her skates, they are obviously a flawed design or this wouldn't have happened. And don't forget the Boston water department for delivering water that was too resistant to freezing.

Comment

Just hope she's not getting poor advice from some ambulance-chasing attorneys. Something just isn't right here!

Comment

Nothing to do with Liang's unfortunate injury, but it does appear that some changes need to made...unless the league is purposely going in the direction it's headed.

http://alongtheboards.com/2016/01/nw...ules-injuries/
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SeymoreHockey View Post
                Just hope she's not getting poor advice from some ambulance-chasing attorneys. Something just isn't right here!
                Wait... we have a young adult who plays hockey and has a catastrophic injury which will jeopardize her ability to fully function as she once did. In a nutshell, she is in for a difficult life effective immediately.

I know in her shoes I would ask myself if there was negligence involved, and if yes, then I'd want to be compensated.

You nor I know if there is negligence. Therefore, you nor I are in any position to judge. Your comment comes with an assumption of no negligence. That's a big assumption without knowing the facts.

I totally respect you and pokechecker's right to conjecture, but having opinions without information is usually going to get a strong rebuttal from someone... and in this case, that's me.

Comment

wow, that's your idea of a strong rebuttal?

obviously something has to be done to protect these ladies, no checking isn't enough, so next year, assuming the NHL even wants to be involved with women's hockey, since two periods was too much for the ladies they'll have to go with one, and those hard boards have to be padded, what is the point of solid boards if you can't check somebody's head into them? obviously the NHL is at fault for providing brutal conditions for the ladies to play in

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    wow, that's your idea of a strong rebuttal?

obviously something has to be done to protect these ladies, no checking isn't enough, so next year, assuming the NHL even wants to be involved with women's hockey, since two periods was too much for the ladies they'll have to go with one, and those hard boards have to be padded, what is the point of solid boards if you can't check somebody's head into them? obviously the NHL is at fault for providing brutal conditions for the ladies to play in
                    This is your idea of strong points? Wow.
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The article says that a lawsuit would be based on breach of contract, not negligence. Assuming that that is correct (and even the possibiluty of a suit isn't that strongly sourced), no one who isn't familiar with the contracts in question has the slightest idea whether the suit has merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                        The article says that a lawsuit would be based on breach of contract, not negligence. Assuming that that is correct (and even the possibiluty of a suit isn't that strongly sourced), no one who isn't familiar with the contracts in question has the slightest idea whether the suit has merit.
                        I would assume the NWHL/NHL/Kraft Sports has liability insurance. Perhaps a threatened suit is just a way of cautioning these parties not to pass the buck so to speak.

Comment

Sorry, I am having a little trouble following along here. I am apparently spending way too much time actually watching hockey.

But I would like to follow your reasoning. Your breach of contract not negligence analysis has tweaked my interest. For me to try to understand I need to know which article you are referring to. So far in the thread I see references to a New York Post article and an Along the Boards piece.

Are you referencing one of these two here or is there something else that has been cited that I have missed?
                          Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Here are NHL players complaining about ice conditions, excerpted from article on Yahoo Sports. They were complaining about conditions on DEC 31, 2015 during practice skates, the SAME DAY as the Women's NHL Classic. Now I'm no lawyer, but seems like something was up with the ice on the day the women played:

But the above-freezing temps and the glaring sun produced an ice surface that both the Bruins and Montreal Canadiens labeled as “soft.” Boston defenseman Dennis Seidenberg said one corner of the rink that was exposed to the sun was, frankly, “dangerous.” “The one end was very slushy. The one corner was very dangerous, [when you were] kind of turning,” he said. “But what are you going to do? You have to deal with it.”

Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara saw the same conditions. "For the most part, during practice, we stayed away from that corner of the ice, for safety reasons,” he said.

The ice conditions in that corner worsened as practice continued. “At the end, it was tough to turn. Very soft. Very slushy. It’ll be an adventure every time you go in there,” said Seidenberg.

The Canadiens also experienced some questionable ice conditions. “Not as good as an indoor rink, obviously. Very soft, very soft. And slushy at the end,” said forward Lars Eller. “Two of the corners were particularly soft.”

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                              But I would like to follow your reasoning. Your breach of contract not negligence analysis has tweaked my interest. For me to try to understand I need to know which article you are referring to. So far in the thread I see references to a New York Post article and an Along the Boards piece.

Are you referencing one of these two here or is there something else that has been cited that I have missed?
                              The Post article was less specific on the question than I remembered, but it cited that the liability waivers the players signed were conditioned on the ice being playable. That led me to conclude that any lawsuit was based upon a breach of contract rather than negligence, bit it's possible that I am reading that wrong.

Comment

The Post article was less specific on the question than I remembered, but it cited that the liability waivers the players signed were conditioned on the ice being playable. That led me to conclude that any lawsuit was based upon a breach of contract rather than negligence, bit it's possible that I am reading that wrong.
                                Thanks.
                                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                                X