Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NHL Announces 1st Women's Winter Classic Game

Originally posted by giwan View Post
    understand the concerns and seemingly backhanded addition to the winter classic BUT it's a start and something is much better than nothing
    I agree.

A toehold is enough for me if it ultimately leads to a what I consider to be a necessary partnership with the NHL and, very likely, a merger. Joining forces with NHL backing would help maintain and slowly grow the fledgling women's post graduate game, imho. I hope the principals involved have already asked "What about next year?".

An NHL partnership would also be a great way to market both the women's game and the NHL itself to women and other new fans, and to provide support to Women's national programs in every country that has players ready and willing to play at this level.

I see this particular glass as at least half full

Comment

Seems that the game will be Periscoped by @mywsports......hope that it comes across as a viable option, i.e. a steady hand on the camera. 🤓

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
        It depends upon when the NHL made the decision to have a women's game. Given how late it was announced, my guess is that USA Hockey already had its plans made before they found out about it.
        This is more important than a winter camp in a non-Olympic year. 2 days would be enough notice. How about a USA vs Canada game right before the next Olympics?
        Last edited by Call It; 12-31-2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune this morning:

Boston player hospitalized

Denna Laing, a member of the Boston Pride pro team, was taken off the ice on a stretcher in Foxborough, Mass., and was hospitalized. No information on her condition was available.
          The Pride, from the National Women's Hockey League, was playing the Montreal Canadiennes in an exhibition at Gillette Stadium, where the NHL's annual Winter Classic is to be played Friday.
          Boston coach Bobby Jay told the Boston Globe that Laing's parents were with her at the hospital.
          "Obviously, all our team was concerned, as was the Montreal team," Jay said.

Sure hope she's OK.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Call It View Post
            This is more important than a winter camp in a non-Olympic year. 2 days would be enough notice. How about a USA vs Canada game right before the next Olympics?
            More important than a preview of the Olympics as well. Keep it as the so called professional teams they are meant to be. Olympic teams get a lot of exposure as it is, this shows another side and different players.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              From the Minneapolis Star Tribune this morning:

Boston player hospitalized

Denna Laing, a member of the Boston Pride pro team, was taken off the ice on a stretcher in Foxborough, Mass., and was hospitalized. No information on her condition was available.
              The Pride, from the National Women's Hockey League, was playing the Montreal Canadiennes in an exhibition at Gillette Stadium, where the NHL's annual Winter Classic is to be played Friday.
              Boston coach Bobby Jay told the Boston Globe that Laing's parents were with her at the hospital.
              "Obviously, all our team was concerned, as was the Montreal team," Jay said.

Sure hope she's OK.
              Terrible news. Hope she is fine and the overnight stay was just precautionary.

Comment

This article sheds some light on how difficult it was to get this game even going at all: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...070839753.html

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  This article sheds some light on how difficult it was to get this game even going at all: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...070839753.html
                  Huh... not discounting the complexity here, but the article is kind of self-promoting and a little disingenuous in my opinion. The NHL doesn't know how hard it is to set one of these up??!! Isn't this what they do? I'll give that it may not have been clear how dysfunctional the two leagues were in their relationship (although if Burke had a personal relationship with each league president as he claims this should have been pretty obvious), but the complexity of the mechanics of setting it up should have been abundantly clear to the NHL....

Comment

I didn't get that at all from the article....Burke is just reflecting on many of the nuances that make-up an event at this level....I think that both leagues, CWHL and NWHL may not have expected as many parties to be involved and therefore learned a great deal from this experience, which will help in the future! I'm just stoked that Burke, Cohig and others at the NHL realize that they need to take an active role in the women's game! While I'm here, many thanks to @mywsports for Periscoping the game......it couldn't have been an easy task in the cold!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                      Terrible news. Hope she is fine and the overnight stay was just precautionary.
                      I have heard through reliable sources that it was a significant injury, and surgery was necessary, but that she is expected to make a "full recovery". I am guessing her playing days may be over though. Best wishes to her.
                      "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                        I have heard through reliable sources that it was a significant injury, and surgery was necessary, but that she is expected to make a "full recovery". I am guessing her playing days may be over though. Best wishes to her.

Please understand (I know everyone does) that the family is going through enough without people speculating or guessing. please understand that I mean no disrespect at all. I truly mean that. people are being quiet out of respect for the family's wishes. please honor that wish. they need prayers and nothing else.

I really am sorry if this post is taken the wrong way...it's not meant that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
                          Please understand (I know everyone does) that the family is going through enough without people speculating or guessing. please understand that I mean no disrespect at all. I truly mean that. people are being quiet out of respect for the family's wishes. please honor that wish. they need prayers and nothing else.

I really am sorry if this post is taken the wrong way...it's not meant that way.
                          I think we can all understand and agree with this. Best wishes to Denna.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post

None taken - just wishing all the best to all involved. We are "family" - related by the game.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

It ain't good folks. Prayers.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...0FO/story.html
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                More here http://www.dennalaing.org

Comment

Working...
                                X