Year by Year NCAA Points Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Year by Year NCAA Points Leaders

Trying to find a list of overall points leaders for the NCAA dating back to 1953-54 season, or at least as far back as possible. Does anyone know where I can find this list? I only need the names of points leaders for each season and if possible how many points they had.

Thanks for any help that can be given

Re: Year by Year NCAA Points Leaders

Originally posted by adam_777 View Post
    Trying to find a list of overall points leaders for the NCAA dating back to 1953-54 season, or at least as far back as possible. Does anyone know where I can find this list? I only need the names of points leaders for each season and if possible how many points they had.

The old NCAA Guides, which stopped being printed in the early 1980s, had such lists -- separated between eastern and western schools.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You might try here. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/140.html
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Thanks for the Help guys, looks like hockey db has accurate numbers through the 50's, but then is very incomplete after that. Does anyone on here have copies of those NCAA books, or know where I could find them?

Thanks
        Last edited by adam_777; 12-22-2015, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the Help guys, looks like hockey db has accurate numbers through the 50's, but then is very incomplete after that. Does anyone on here have copies of those NCAA books, or know where I could find them?

Thanks
          I have them from 1967 to what I think is the last one for 1981. The 1981 edition, for example, was published prior to the 80-81 season.

That one contains the WCHA scoring leaders from 53-54 through 79-80, the CCHA leader from 71-72 to 79-80, and the ECAC scoring leader from 35-36 to 79-80, also ECAC-II starting in 64-65, and ECAC-III starting in 73-74. I can scan the 2 relevant pages (one east, one west). The earlier editions obviously just contain shorter lists but more complete information on the previous year (e.g., the 1967 edition covers 65-66).

58-59 is missing from the WCHA list since Minnesota (and the Michigan schools) had one of their periodic fits about Denver, North Dakota, and CC having overage Canadians.

Edit: Anyone playing for an independent team will be missing.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-23-2015, 02:27 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Actually Ralph, that would be perfect. The data I am most interested in is everything leading up to and including 1980-81 in particular. The more recent years would just be a bonus. I appreciate your help with this, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I have them from 1967 to what I think is the last one for 1981. The 1981 edition, for example, was published prior to the 80-81 season.

That one contains the WCHA scoring leaders from 53-54 through 79-80, the CCHA leader from 71-72 to 79-80, and the ECAC scoring leader from 35-36 to 79-80, also ECAC-II starting in 64-65, and ECAC-III starting in 73-74. I can scan the 2 relevant pages (one east, one west). The earlier editions obviously just contain shorter lists but more complete information on the previous year (e.g., the 1967 edition covers 65-66).

58-59 is missing from the WCHA list since Minnesota (and the Michigan schools) had one of their periodic fits about Denver, North Dakota, and CC having overage Canadians.

Edit: Anyone playing for an independent team will be missing.
              The east scoring leader list from 1935-36 is for all eastern teams. The first scoring list I found for the east was in the 1951 Guide and the 1952 Guide added the east scoring leader for 1935-36 through 1941-42 and 1947-48 on. The first scoring list I found for the west was in the 1956 Guide and the 1962 Guide contains the first scoring leader list for the west from 1953-54 which appears to be a WCHA list as it is missing the 1958-59 season (a list of scoring leaders for the west in 1958-59 is in the 1960 Guide). The 1982 Guide also contains annual scoring leaders lists. It appear the CCHA list is league stats only.

You can also look at the 2015-16 NCAA DI Men's Ice Hockey Records or earlier ones from 2003-04 on. It appears that the NCAA has folded ECAC DII records into the current DI records. Tom Rost's (Army) 1976-77 record of 104 points and 1979-80 record of 97 points that is listed as ECAC DII scoring leader in the 1982 Guide is now in the DI overall scoring leader all-time list (and has 108 points listed for 1976-77). The NCAA records are self-reported by the schools, so it is at risk of being incomplete.

And as the discrepancy in Tom Rost's 1976-77 points total all records are at risk of error.

I can scan or transcribe the scoring information in the guides Ralph does not have.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                The east scoring leader list from 1935-36 is for all eastern teams. The first scoring list I found for the east was in the 1951 Guide and the 1952 Guide added the east scoring leader for 1935-36 through 1941-42 and 1947-48 on. The first scoring list I found for the west was in the 1956 Guide and the 1962 Guide contains the first scoring leader list for the west from 1953-54 which appears to be a WCHA list as it is missing the 1958-59 season (a list of scoring leaders for the west in 1958-59 is in the 1960 Guide). The 1982 Guide also contains annual scoring leaders lists. It appear the CCHA list is league stats only.

You can also look at the 2015-16 NCAA DI Men's Ice Hockey Records or earlier ones from 2003-04 on. It appears that the NCAA has folded ECAC DII records into the current DI records. Tom Rost's (Army) 1976-77 record of 104 points and 1979-80 record of 97 points that is listed as ECAC DII scoring leader in the 1982 Guide is now in the DI overall scoring leader all-time list (and has 108 points listed for 1976-77). The NCAA records are self-reported by the schools, so it is at risk of being incomplete.

And as the discrepancy in Tom Rost's 1976-77 points total all records are at risk of error.

I can scan or transcribe the scoring information in the guides Ralph does not have.

Sean
                I just scanned and mailed the info from the 1981 Guide. I must have the 1982 Guide also. I wonder what I did with it. Thanks for the clarification of the CCHA records.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I have compiled a list of annual scoring leaders from 1940-41 to 2014-15. Anyone may use the information, but please do not reproduce the entire list without permission. The list gives each season, each player's name, their school, games played if known, goals and assists if known and total points. To the far right of each scoring leader I have listed the final source I have used. If anyone notices a discrepancy or has additional information please let me know.

I used the information from USCHO and CHN for the scoring leaders from 2000-01 forward. Next I looked at the annual NCAA Ice Hockey Guides from 1940 through 1982, but the earlier ones had no stats and it became apparent that there were issues with the ones that did, especially with the stats for western players. Therefore, I used the annual scoring stats published in The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter, from 1953-54 (which was it's first year) through 1993-94 (which I believe was it's final year). Most seasons included such lists and they normally included all games, but a few seasons the list was not published or only included league stats for western players. I next used the NCAA Guides to identify the top eastern player for each year I was missing stats for. I then checked the media guides/record books for 46 schools to see if a western player had more points than an eastern player and also to confirm the information in TIHN and NCAA Guides. Not all schools had seasonal scoring leaders in which case I had to try and use top seasonal scoring lists. I was unable to find historical scoring records on Alaska's website and the link on Alabama Huntsville's site was broken. The remaining 44 schools for which I did find scoring information are listed below. I don't believe either Alaska, Alabama Huntsville, or any of the other schools I didn't check is likely to have had an annual scoring leader at the DI level.

Sean

Schools for which I checked media guides or records books for annual scoring information:
                  Air Force, Alaska, Alaska Anchorage, Army, Boston College, Boston University, Bowling Green, Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell, Dartmouth, Denver, Ferris State, Harvard, Lake Superior, Maine, Massachusetts, Mass Lowell, Merrimack, Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota, Minnesota-Duluth, Minnesota State, Nebraska Omaha, New Hampshire, Northeastern, Northern Michigan, North Dakota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Princeton, Providence, Quinnipiac, Rennsalaer, Saint Cloud, St. Lawrence, Vermont, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, Yale
                  Last edited by Sean Pickett; 12-25-2015, 01:31 PM.

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Sean, that is amazing! thanks for your help and quick turnaround compiling that list. I am majorly impressed by your efforts!

Ralph, thanks for your help with some of the scans you sent me as well, even though it wasn't quite what I was after I do really appreciated it.

you guys are a tribute to this forum. Have a great holiday season

Comment

That is a great list. Lots of fun to look at some of those guys. Looks like scoring is down.
                      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                      Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        That is a great list. Lots of fun to look at some of those guys. Looks like scoring is down.
                        For the 75 seasons listed the average is 79.86 points and the median is 79 points. For 12 of the past 13 seasons it has been below those, so yes, the points totals for leading scorers is down and it is the longest such stretch since the 40s. The only other time it was low as now was the mid-60s, but that was for only 6 straight and 8-of-10 seasons. I have created a chart which shows the scoring leaders point totals from 1940-41 to last season.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                        NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

For the 75 seasons listed the average is 79.86 points and the median is 79 points. For 12 of the past 13 seasons it has been below those, so yes, the points totals for leading scorers is down and it is the longest such stretch since the 40s. The only other time it was low as now was the mid-60s, but that was for only 6 straight and 8-of-10 seasons. I have created a chart which shows the scoring leaders point totals from 1940-41 to last season.

Sean
                          Great work. What does the chart look like when you adjust for games played?
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Sean, that is amazing! thanks for your help and quick turnaround compiling that list. I am majorly impressed by your efforts!

Ralph, thanks for your help with some of the scans you sent me as well, even though it wasn't quite what I was after I do really appreciated it.

you guys are a tribute to this forum. Have a great holiday season
                            every college hockey team's fan base should have a Sean Pickett

Comment

Sean
                              Sean - 1955/56 Eddie Rowe played in 23 games for CCT. (Source)

Paul Kariya 92/93 stats are HERE

90/91 Scott Beattie stats
                              Last edited by joecct; 12-26-2015, 03:23 PM.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X