All time NCAA D-1 men's record question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All time NCAA D-1 men's record question

UNO ended up it's non-conference schedule this season undefeated and untied at 10-0-0.

This got me to wondering:

A. What was the last NCAA D-1 team to go undefeated and untied in non-conference play?

and.......

B. What is the all time NCAA D-1 winning streak record in non-conference games?

I've done quite a bit of looking around but I can't find any database that contains this info. These are easy records to find for conference play, though.

And, I can't imagine that going undefeated and untied in non-conference is any huge novelty. I'd imagine this has been done many times.

Anybody know?

Re: All time NCAA D-1 men's record question

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    UNO ended up it's non-conference schedule this season undefeated and untied at 10-0-0.

This got me to wondering:

A. What was the last NCAA D-1 team to go undefeated and untied in non-conference play?

and.......

B. What is the all time NCAA D-1 winning streak record in non-conference games?

I've done quite a bit of looking around but I can't find any database that contains this info. These are easy records to find for conference play, though.

And, I can't imagine that going undefeated and untied in non-conference is any huge novelty. I'd imagine this has been done many times.

Anybody know?
    1970 Cornell went undefeated, period. Same with the 2012-13 MN Gophers women's team.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

That is regular season play only. For records do you want post-season games as well?

1. In 1991-92 BU went 12-0-0 in regular season non-conference play.

2. From 1/12/1991 to 10/31/1992 BU went 16-0-0 in regular season non-conference play.

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        That is regular season play only. For records do you want post-season games as well?

1. In 1991-92 BU went 12-0-0 in regular season non-conference play.

2. From 1/12/1991 to 10/31/1992 BU went 16-0-0 in regular season non-conference play.

Sean
        I didn't even think about the post season context/ramification of the question, frankly. I got perplexed trying to find any info on this topic. It isn't apart of the official NCAA D-1 hockey record book. My guess was that some blue blood hockey schools probably had some lengthy OOC winning streak(s) from days of yore (like BU, obviously, as you point out).

My guess is if the Gophers/Wolverines/Eagles/(ahem)Fighting Hawks(cough)/Badgers/Spartans, etc., etc., etc. once won 24 straight out of conference or something like that, somebody is going to let us know about it here.

If the number is in the '20's, or better, and includes post season games which I guess it should, my assumption would be that at least 2 titles in a row would have to be involved.

Comment

Gophers did the first thing in 12-13.

Comment

being in a large conference, or back when teams played a lot more games would have an impact.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

During RPI's 38-game unbeaten streak in 84-85, along with extending beyond it because their only loss was to a league opponent until the 1985 GLI, they went unbeaten for 20 non-conference games. There was no distinction for exhibition with Canadian or D-III schools at the time, and the conference tournament is also being counted as non-conference.

At least that's based on this: http://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_05yr.html

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                During RPI's 38-game unbeaten streak in 84-85, along with extending beyond it because their only loss was to a league opponent until the 1985 GLI, they went unbeaten for 20 non-conference games. There was no distinction for exhibition with Canadian or D-III schools at the time, and the conference tournament is also being counted as non-conference.

At least that's based on this: http://www.augenblick.org/rpi/h_05yr.html
                North Dakota beat them. I was there.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  North Dakota beat them. I was there.
                  Because Darren Puppa apparently wasn't feeling well. We beat you handily the next day. I assume that FD08 is starting with the victory on the second day.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Because Darren Puppa apparently wasn't feeling well. We beat you handily the next day. I assume that FD08 is starting with the victory on the second day.
                    Probably too much turkey and stuffing the day before.

Still one of the greatest games I got to see in person.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                    being in a large conference, or back when teams played a lot more games would have an impact.
                    Exactly. I went back to look to see if/when UND ever had 10 or more non-conference regular season wins in a row. The last time was over three seasons, 1996-1999. The teams just didn't play that many non-conference games back then. During the great 86-87 season, I think they played 3, assuming the WCHA-HEA games (which counted for points) are included as "conference games". In the championship year of 1996-97, they played 4.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      You are correct in this assumption. Is that not also when the 38-game streak begins?

Comment

How the heck Maine tied Clarkson in 1992-93 I will never know.

Comment

So I looked back at Michigan Tech's 3 National Championship years and here is their NC winning streaks for those 3 possibly long streaks
                          1961-1963 18 games
                          1964-1966 17 games
                          1974-1976 14 games

Includes wins over canadian teams, finnish national team, USA national team
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                          X