Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016 World Junior Championship

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Makes sense. I would have thought rink size would be a hangup for the combination of Xcel and Mariucci too until I heard that tidbit about the two Finnish rinks being different sizes.
    As much as a little of different size is one thing, that extra 15 feet of width is much more significant. Heck, UMASS is 200x95 and many consider it to be essentially Olympic.

Comment

Also of note, by the time this tournament would have happen, Maricucci is scheduled to be changed to 92' wide instead of the current 100' so it would be very similar to this year.
      Too much work to go all the way down to 85?

Comment

WJC GAME RESET

Time: ~52:00

Score:
        T USA: *//
        T SUI: //

Power Plays:
        USA: /()(/)
        SUI: /()/

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          idk, probably changes sightlines too much.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Of course, if they're trying to do Ice Bowl II at Ralph Wilson Stadium and want to make a game of the WJC part of that, we can throw all of this discussion about differing rink sizes out the window.

Comment

Of course, if they're trying to do Ice Bowl II at Ralph Wilson Stadium and want to make a game of the WJC part of that, we can throw all of this discussion about differing rink sizes out the window.
              And having that game that close to Canada makes the difference for that specific event.

Hopefully the next event in the US could be here, but after Detroit replaces Joe Louis Arena, I would think that could be an option...
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

And having that game that close to Canada makes the difference for that specific event.

Hopefully the next event in the US could be here, but after Detroit replaces Joe Louis Arena, I would think that could be an option...
                Pretty much a guarantee for this country is that it's going to be somewhat close to Canada in order to drive attendance.

If you ever get a chance to go to this tournament, though, it's a really fun time. I really enjoyed it the last time it was in Buffalo, and would love to go for 2018; saw three really good games.

Comment

WJC GAME RESET

Time: FINAL

Score:
                  T USA: *//
                  T SUI: //

Power Plays:
                  USA: /()(/)
                  SUI: /()/

Comment

Pools are determined from the previous year's placement. 1-4-5-8 in one pool, 2-3-6-7 in the other. I can't remember which gets the 9th team and which gets the promoted team. Don't know about the semis, though.
                    I don't recall if I was posting goals at the time.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

If i'm reading the schedule right, we play before finland-czech republic. Even then, those teams prob expect us to win. Any chance there is sime cat and mouse game between them knowing that if they win, they get canada. Perhaps they would rather face us.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        If i'm reading the schedule right, we play before finland-czech republic. Even then, those teams prob expect us to win. Any chance there is sime cat and mouse game between them knowing that if they win, they get canada. Perhaps they would rather face us.
                        This is the most pedestrian Canada team I can recall at this tournament. Can't see teams wanting to play us over Canada.

Comment

Fair enough, then. Would certainly provide quite the incentive to get placed right the previous year, that's for sure. Maybe that's why Finland's quarterfinal is guaranteed in a particular rink. Of course, during the WJC in Buffalo, US and Canada were ALWAYS in the *** Center, as Dwyer could not handle the capacity.
                          I'm pretty sure the Host is always in the bigger arena.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Is there a site with two rinks of the same size? It'd be awkward to have one on a NHL sheet and the other on Olympic. Possibly one pool at Mariucci and the other at NHC? But then when do you do the Gophers' tournament?
                            Mariucci and NHC would be nice hosts for a World Championships. Be nice to see one not in Europe again...
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I seem to recall it's mainly an expense issue. They would need to dig down quite a bit further to go all the way from 100' to 85', and then add all those extra seats down to ice level.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                                Is there a site with two rinks of the same size? It'd be awkward to have one on a NHL sheet and the other on Olympic. Possibly one pool at Mariucci and the other at NHC? But then when do you do the Gophers' tournament?
                                Mariucci doesn't seat enough...

https://***********/jessrmyers/status/682280192245538816
                                scsuhockey.com
                                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Working...
                                X