ASU Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    ASU to WCHA. AAU rules or something prevent ASU from B1G Mistake. Heard the WCHA rumor yesterday from someone who's known in the business. I won't reveal the source.
    They were talking about it last week on the BSU radio broadcast. I guess after 11 days on Alaska, a trip to Phoenix would seem like a good idea.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: ASU Hockey

ASU to WCHA. AAU rules or something prevent ASU from B1G Mistake. Heard the WCHA rumor yesterday from someone who's known in the business. I won't reveal the source.
      I'd wonder about their commitment if WCHA is the goal... sorry guys... yesterday's gone.

---

That being said, anything to prevent the whole 3 games in 3 nights deal. Saw the box for today's abomination. I know they had to scrap by to get Div 1 opponents for this season but 3 in 3 with a (saturday night off) rested Merrimack isn't much fair to anybody.
      BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
      Skating Friar Jersey
      AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
      UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
      Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

I know a lot of WCHA fans are worried about additional travel, but having asu might mean fewer trips to alaska for everyone.
        If Asu is really sharing an arena with anyone, I think that's a mistake. its bound to have too many seats, and the packing and unpacking of equipment, etc etc. is a bigger pain every year. I seriously doubt that you are going to be able to make money having to support a huge arena with very few fans in attendance.
        And that lack of your own arena is going to hurt your recruiting.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I know a lot of WCHA fans are worried about additional travel, but having asu might mean fewer trips to alaska for everyone.
          If Asu is really sharing an arena with anyone, I think that's a mistake. its bound to have too many seats, and the packing and unpacking of equipment, etc etc. is a bigger pain every year. I seriously doubt that you are going to be able to make money having to support a huge arena with very few fans in attendance.
          My understanding, so take this for what its worth, is the only thing ASU would be responsible for is their practice facility and locker room/office space. Most of that is being covered from boosters. The Coyotes/land partnership that this stadium would be on would cover the rest. While not the ideal 5k arena, this would be the most economically sound decision for ASU.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            If the current 14 home 14 road games a year were to stay if Arizona St joins, in some years you would lose an Alaska trip for an Arizona trip, but in others you would lose a Lake Superior or Ferris for Arizona. From a cost perspective, would Arizona St be paying the same level of subsidies as the Alaska schools or Huntsville?
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Go-UML View Post
              Almost everyone is done at end of February. Conference playoffs start in March.
              I should have specified. In reality, ASU is gone with Division I competition at the end of January this year. Will that be the case next year?

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                I should have specified. In reality, ASU is gone with Division I competition at the end of January this year. Will that be the case next year?
                We shall see... the tough thing this time of year is that as long as conference have even numbers (and not all do) then a weekend off for one team is a weekend off for a conference member as well. I think it makes for difficulty with the scheduling jigsaw.
                BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                Skating Friar Jersey
                AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                  Dunno. Depends upon who ASU can get agreements with for those needing non-conference games to fill out their schedules. I know Lowell's last non-conference game is 2/19 this year but as was noted earlier, nothing will be able to be had most likely later in February and most definitely not in March as conference tournaments start.

And many of us are still wondering why ASU's back up goalies were banished to the other side of the ice behind the doors and weren't allowed to sit on the bench at Lowell. Is this the norm for ASU and if so, why? Felt sorry for them, wanted to send over refreshments and a game program, maybe have our in-game hostess see if they wanted to do trivia on the big screen during a time out or something.
                  Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                  Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                    Dunno. Depends upon who ASU can get agreements with for those needing non-conference games to fill out their schedules. I know Lowell's last non-conference game is 2/19 this year but as was noted earlier, nothing will be able to be had most likely later in February and most definitely not in March as conference tournaments start.

And many of us are still wondering why ASU's back up goalies were banished to the other side of the ice behind the doors and weren't allowed to sit on the bench at Lowell. Is this the norm for ASU and if so, why? Felt sorry for them, wanted to send over refreshments and a game program, maybe have our in-game hostess see if they wanted to do trivia on the big screen during a time out or something.
                    I have no idea on the goalie question. It looked like they dressed three goalies. Would there be a space issue on the bench?

Not sure when the schedule will come out and have only heard about the three-year deal with Bemidji State. We go back there next year and then they are out in Tempe/Phoenix the following season. But we are playing a full D-1 schedule according to reports, so it will be interesting how they fit it all in prior to the start of conference playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Revs89 View Post
                      I have no idea on the goalie question. It looked like they dressed three goalies. Would there be a space issue on the bench?

Not sure when the schedule will come out and have only heard about the three-year deal with Bemidji State. We go back there next year and then they are out in Tempe/Phoenix the following season. But we are playing a full D-1 schedule according to reports, so it will be interesting how they fit it all in prior to the start of conference playoffs.
                      There shouldn't be. Both of Lowell's backups are always on the bench, one at each end and the benches are the same depth and length.

I know Lowell will owe ASU two games in Arizona, don't know if it will be next season or the season after.
                      Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                      Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                      Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                        I know Lowell will owe ASU two games in Arizona, don't know if it will be next season or the season after.
                        It will be in January during the 2017-18 season. I've linked my source in the Lowell thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                          I'd wonder about their commitment if WCHA is the goal... sorry guys... yesterday's gone.

---

That being said, anything to prevent the whole 3 games in 3 nights deal. Saw the box for today's abomination. I know they had to scrap by to get Div 1 opponents for this season but 3 in 3 with a (saturday night off) rested Merrimack isn't much fair to anybody.
                          I think that ASU doesn't want to be indie, so they'll join whoever will take them. I figured the NCHC, but they allegedly have eyes on some AHA schools.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                            It will be in January during the 2017-18 season. I've linked my source in the Lowell thread.
                            Ditto for the Clarkson trip
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I think that ASU doesn't want to be indie, so they'll join whoever will take them. I figured the NCHC, but they allegedly have eyes on some AHA schools.
                              The plan initially was to play independent for two seasons. There has been discussion through some scheduling success that they may extend that a year. Also, have heard that a conference announcement could come this season on where they would eventually be playing. As mentioned above, the BSU radio guys made it seem like the WCHA was courting ASU the most.

Comment

Uhhh got any sauce on that? The only one that would make sense is Air Force, and I don't see them leaving a conference with Army. Maybe Robert Morris or Mercyhurst?
                                RIT Tigers

Comment

Working...
                                X