ASU Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Now this is interesting. Can 3 teams in the same barn work??

http://arizonasports.com/story/62929...n-next-season/
    Who would the 3 teams be? Tuscon is a long way from Phoenix.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: ASU Hockey

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
      Who would the 3 teams be? Tuscon is a long way from Phoenix.
      In a different article it mentions NBA, NHL, and ASU sharing one arena
      http://arizonasports.com/story/61044...ley-officials/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jesus of Suburbia View Post
        3rd wheel to the extreme
        BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
        Skating Friar Jersey
        AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
        UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
        Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus of Suburbia View Post
          with ASU games scheduled for 2:30PM on Tuesdays.

on-campus arena, accept no substitutes.
          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
            with ASU games scheduled for 2:30PM on Tuesdays.

on-campus arena, accept no substitutes.
            I'm not sure how that could even work. Teams are not going to travel to play a single game against ASU. I don't see midweek games even being an option for them. I agree with you. An arena ASU has full control over is a must.

Comment

Really? Friday night Coyotes, Saturday afternoon Suns, Saturday Night ASU, Sunday midday ASU schedules are hard to figure out? NBA rarely do back to back home games, same with the NHL. So we're looking at 18 dates. Nine weekends.

Using the Bulls/Blackhawks United Center schedule as a template, Let's fit in 18 home games for ASU. For this example the Blackhawks will represent the Coyotes, Bulls the Suns.

NCAA season started on the 3rd. Let's ignore any exhibition games, as ASU could play them at Oceanside.
              October 9th 7 PM (no other events), 10th 2 PM (before the Coyotes 7:30 PM game). (Fri/Sat)
              October 23rd 7 PM (no other events), 24th 2 PM (before Coyotes 7:30 PM game). (Fri/Sat)
              October 30th 7 PM, October 31st 7 PM (Fri/Sat)
              November 14 7 PM, November 15 2 PM (Sat/Sun)
              December 3th 7 PM, December 4 7 PM (Thur/Fri)
              January 9th 7 PM, January 10th Noon (Before Coyotes 6 PM game) (Sat/Sun)
              January 16th 7 PM, January 17th Noon (Before Coyotes 6 PM game) (Sat/Sun)
              February 12th 7 PM, February 13th 2PM (Before Coyotes 7:30 PM game) (Fri/Sat) (or, mid-afternoon Sunday date available)
              February 20th 7 PM, February 21st Noon (Before Suns 7 PM game) (Sat/Sun)
              March 3rd 7 PM, March 4th 7 PM (Thur/Fri)

In fact, I squeezed in 20 home games. So drop one weekend, and you got an ASU/Suns/Coyotes schedule. Saturday afternoon games gets road teams out of town a little quicker. First round weekend would need to be left open just in case, but for the most part, it's not terrible.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                Really? Friday night Coyotes, Saturday afternoon Suns, Saturday Night ASU, Sunday midday ASU schedules are hard to figure out? NBA rarely do back to back home games, same with the NHL. So we're looking at 18 dates. Nine weekends.

Using the Bulls/Blackhawks United Center schedule as a template, Let's fit in 18 home games for ASU. For this example the Blackhawks will represent the Coyotes, Bulls the Suns.

NCAA season started on the 3rd. Let's ignore any exhibition games, as ASU could play them at Oceanside.
                October 9th 7 PM (no other events), 10th 2 PM (before the Coyotes 7:30 PM game). (Fri/Sat)
                October 23rd 7 PM (no other events), 24th 2 PM (before Coyotes 7:30 PM game). (Fri/Sat)
                February 12th 7 PM, February 13th 2PM (Before Coyotes 7:30 PM game) (Fri/Sat) (or, mid-afternoon Sunday date available)

In fact, I squeezed in 20 home games. So drop one weekend, and you got an ASU/Suns/Coyotes schedule. Saturday afternoon games gets road teams out of town a little quicker. First round weekend would need to be left open just in case, but for the most part, it's not terrible.
                Don't expect the NBA or NHL to want to deal with a third primary tenant. And the point is moot anyway since the Suns lease runs through 2029.
                Last edited by davyd83; 04-25-2016, 02:27 AM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

OK, so I exaggerated about playing on Tuesday afternoons. slightly. but your schedule makes the point well enough.
                  you've got 2PM, 2PM, 2PM, Thursday, Noon, Noon, 2PM, Noon, Thursday. In a way-too-big arena that will be 2/3 empty on a good night. yuck. Noon on Sundays, really?
                  sure hope they don't have to settle for that.
                  Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

If ASU were to play at noon before a Coyotes game, are you asking for the NHL teams to move their morning skate up 2 hours? Do NBA teams get no shoot around? Any NHL or NBA lease will have stipulations about game day accommodations for the home and visiting teams. Being that NBA & NHL schedules don't come out until summer, and that those teams & leagues would have priority, it would make piecing the ASU schedule far in advance very difficult, especially when you consider nearly all NCAA teams to make a hockey visit have flight & hotel arrangements to make.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 04-25-2016, 07:01 AM.

Comment

The Calgary Flames released an interesting video that shows a way to make a large arena feel smaller for whatever purpose. If ASU does end up in an arena with the Coyotes, I would imagine it would have similar capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                        The Calgary Flames released an interesting video that shows a way to make a large arena feel smaller for whatever purpose. If ASU does end up in an arena with the Coyotes, I would imagine it would have similar capabilities.
                        The biggest problem I see with that is the placement of the media...if you tried to do something like that at the X or in Glendale, you have a weird ceiling setup or you block the media area from seeing the ice.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          The biggest problem I see with that is the placement of the media...if you tried to do something like that at the X or in Glendale, you have a weird ceiling setup or you block the media area from seeing the ice.
                          Assuming a new, purpose-built arena with this as an explicit part of the design, which I believe this concept would require and is the plan anyway, I would imagine a work around be involved in the design.

Comment

Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                            Assuming a new, purpose-built arena with this as an explicit part of the design, which I believe this concept would require and is the plan anyway, I would imagine a work around be involved in the design.
                            It would make sense...be interesting to see, too bad we can only watch the one little vine instead of the whole video...all the discovery links are dead.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by SunDevilBob View Post
                              At Ohio State, the arena was built for BBall and hockey. The press box is center ice attached to the roof. They do curtain off part of the upper level, but, from my experience, there is no issue with the sight lines for any of the media.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                                OK, so I exaggerated about playing on Tuesday afternoons. slightly. but your schedule makes the point well enough.
                                you've got 2PM, 2PM, 2PM, Thursday, Noon, Noon, 2PM, Noon, Thursday. In a way-too-big arena that will be 2/3 empty on a good night. yuck. Noon on Sundays, really?
                                sure hope they don't have to settle for that.
                                Weekday games work in some leagues like Hockey East because the teams are an hour apart. Weekday games are not going to work at ASU because nobody is going to be taking a bus to ASU from an hour away.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X