Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Continue.

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

A bit more harsh of a title than I would have gone with, but it's got a good beat and I can dance to it. I'll give it a 82.
      Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

I was wondering who would be first - the eaves sympathizers or the fire eaves crowd.

Good job Almington.
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

hmmmm...ok then

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
            I was wondering who would be first - the eaves sympathizers or the fire eaves crowd.

Good job Almington.
            Are there really any sympathizers left....well besides McBaghdadBadgertonBob?

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
              That just brightened what was otherwise a s****y day. I may laugh for the next hour. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post

Good job Almington.
                I never said what the problem was.

Comment

I wouldn't put the label of "sympathizer" on myself, but I'm sure that plenty of other people would.

I think that Eaves has proven that he can win. He has proven that he can put talent in the NHL. He has proven (recently) that he can adapt and get kids to play a different style with the recent move to push into the offensive zone through the middle rather than the dump and chase from the blue line.

Having said that, he has his flaws too. I can't vouch for any of these items specifically, but it has been said that his attitude is turning away potential recruits, that he has poisoned the WI recruiting scene, that players leave early because they don't want to play for him or the franchise that owns their rights doesn't want their property playing for him.

I think he's a good guy, he has a new staff, he has some new approaches, and he deserves a chance (2-3 years) to see if this new formula works or not.

I know that there are plenty on this board who disagree. They think that Eaves is past the point of redemption and nothing positive can happen in the long-term for this team until he and anything he has touched are gone.

I know that the people who represent the majority of fans on this board think that they represent the majority of fans in general and will point to any number of circumstantial items to back up their claim. I disagree with that assessment and their representation of their facts, and that has already been discussed; neither side is willing to back down from their stance and that is OK. It is OK to disagree. You can respect someone and see the validity to their stance while maintaining a different stance.

Putting all of that aside, I hope the team does well this year, and next year, and every year. That won't always happen and I'm a realist who is OK with that. It would certainly be great to see the team win a championship every year, but that is just as likely as the team getting less than 5 wins every year. Both outcomes require a ridiculous set of circumstances to fall into place. The truth is that the team will fall somewhere in between those extremes; maybe it is a Final Four 3 out of 4 years pattern, maybe it is a finals appearance once every 5 years with 2 years of rebuilding after that. I'd be OK with either of those, and I'd probably be OK with anything else in between. I'm not a storm-the-castle kind of person, which I'm sure some of you will say makes me the worst kind of fan, and I'm OK with that.

GO BADGERS!

Comment

I like Eaves.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I wouldn't put the label of "sympathizer" on myself, but I'm sure that plenty of other people would.

I think that Eaves has proven that he can win. He has proven that he can put talent in the NHL. He has proven (recently) that he can adapt and get kids to play a different style with the recent move to push into the offensive zone through the middle rather than the dump and chase from the blue line.

Having said that, he has his flaws too. I can't vouch for any of these items specifically, but it has been said that his attitude is turning away potential recruits, that he has poisoned the WI recruiting scene, that players leave early because they don't want to play for him or the franchise that owns their rights doesn't want their property playing for him.

I think he's a good guy, he has a new staff, he has some new approaches, and he deserves a chance (2-3 years) to see if this new formula works or not.

I know that there are plenty on this board who disagree. They think that Eaves is past the point of redemption and nothing positive can happen in the long-term for this team until he and anything he has touched are gone.

I know that the people who represent the majority of fans on this board think that they represent the majority of fans in general and will point to any number of circumstantial items to back up their claim. I disagree with that assessment and their representation of their facts, and that has already been discussed; neither side is willing to back down from their stance and that is OK. It is OK to disagree. You can respect someone and see the validity to their stance while maintaining a different stance.

Putting all of that aside, I hope the team does well this year, and next year, and every year. That won't always happen and I'm a realist who is OK with that. It would certainly be great to see the team win a championship every year, but that is just as likely as the team getting less than 5 wins every year. Both outcomes require a ridiculous set of circumstances to fall into place. The truth is that the team will fall somewhere in between those extremes; maybe it is a Final Four 3 out of 4 years pattern, maybe it is a finals appearance once every 5 years with 2 years of rebuilding after that. I'd be OK with either of those, and I'd probably be OK with anything else in between. I'm not a storm-the-castle kind of person, which I'm sure some of you will say makes me the worst kind of fan, and I'm OK with that.

GO BADGERS!
                      I'm in this boat.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I'm in this boat.
                        You better get out. Didn't you hear, the ship is sinking.
                        If at first you don't succeed, try cheating.

Comment

..........and part of the problem is, of course, recruiting. I see the women's team has signed 7 "top notch" national (with international experience) players, and the men's team is having trouble hanging on to those who we have received verbals. .

As you can see, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid®.

Next game on my Badger-Money-to-NHL Tour, Pittsburgh Kessels @ the Wild on the 26th; a Hanukkah present from MrsMCR. Go Wild!
                          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                            ..........and part of the problem is, of course, recruiting. I see the women's team has signed 7 "top notch" national (with international experience) players, and the men's team is having trouble hanging on to those who we have received verbals. .
                            Oh come on...do you really think that recruiting is even remotely the same for the men vs the women?

This isn't a matter of drinking the flavored sweetened water, this is a matter of someone looking for any reason that they can to poke at the men's program right now. I honestly think that statement is a load of crap.

Unless you were joking, which might be possible, but given the general tone of the board and of your recent posts you'll have to forgive me if I don't see it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                              Oh come on...do you really think that recruiting is even remotely the same for the men vs the women?

This isn't a matter of drinking the flavored sweetened water, this is a matter of someone looking for any reason that they can to poke at the men's program right now. I honestly think that statement is a load of crap.

Unless you were joking, which might be possible, but given the general tone of the board and of your recent posts you'll have to forgive me if I don't see it that way.
                              Head out of sand, no problems with recruiting, head back in sand.

It is apples and oranges (women's vs men's) to a certain extent, but to claim there aren't issues is the real load of crap.

Look at the roster for the US National junior invitees for crying out loud.....
                              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Working...
                              X