Minnesota @ Michigan: 12/11 & 12/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota @ Michigan: 12/11 & 12/12

Minnesota (6-7) travels to play Michigan (8-2-3) at Yost this Friday and Saturday night. Friday night puck drop is 6pm central, it's broadcast on the BTN and streamed on BTN2Go. Saturday start time is 7:30pm central and is on ESPN News, streamed on watch ESPN.

Michigan won and tied (SO Win) at home against Wisconsin. Minnesota swept Ohio State, both games went to OT.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota @ Michigan: 12/11 & 12/12

Gophers split is the best possible result Gopher fans can hope for right?
    "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
      I suppose you can't really have a Michigan sweep be the best possible result for the Gophers...so yeah I guess so.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Best possible of course would be a Gophers sweep. Not too realistic, but the best possible.

A split would be a good outcome for the visiting team, especially considering where they sit with respect to records, poll rankings and yes probably talent levels and experience at the D1 level.

But coming away empty handed would be a big step backwards for a team that's making progress. That would be disappointing and a very poor way to go into the Holiday break.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm expecting a split this weekend. Our 1st-string goalie will still be out this coming weekend. Our 2nd-string goalie was pulled 10 minutes into the 2nd period Saturday night. Our 3rd-string goalie, all 5'10" of him played the remaining 30 minutes of regulation, 5 minutes of OT and the shoot-out. BTW, he's a Freshman (a 21 year-old Freshman).

The pattern of the team defense being a weakness is still very prevalent. Countless turnovers in our own zone were made, it's scary. Very, very scary. But hey, we can score....

Of course I want to sweep you out of the building this weekend. However, that isn't going to happen.
          Originally posted by alfablue
          Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
          Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Big game for the both teams this weekend. I was just looking up some numbers and the Gophers are actually playing better than their record indicates. To me the first three games was like shock treatment and an "adjustment" phase for this basically all new team with 10 FR. Starting from the 4th game this is a 6-4 team with an avg. 3.5 goals/game vs. opp 2.6. The Gophers ended last season 3.51 vs. 2.51. If we tighten down the D and keep this scoring pace, a split looks very possible to me.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              I'm expecting a split this weekend. Our 1st-string goalie will still be out this coming weekend. Our 2nd-string goalie was pulled 10 minutes into the 2nd period Saturday night. Our 3rd-string goalie, all 5'10" of him played the remaining 30 minutes of regulation, 5 minutes of OT and the shoot-out. BTW, he's a Freshman (a 21 year-old Freshman).

The pattern of the team defense being a weakness is still very prevalent. Countless turnovers in our own zone were made, it's scary. Very, very scary. But hey, we can score....

Of course I want to sweep you out of the building this weekend. However, that isn't going to happen.
              UMICH, I'd like to introduce you to the 2015/16 Minnesota Gophers.

With Gopher hockey, a split is always possible. But in years past, there have been times when the Gophers have had streaks of losses. And you knew...just knew that they were going to explode in dominating performances - i.e., when BC came to town recently. But this year, there's no such team waiting to jump out of the cake.
              Last edited by 5mn_Major; 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                No. I can hope for a sweep. Is it realistic?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                  But this year, there's no such team waiting to jump out of the cake.
                  Just my opinion, but this team seems to be growing stronger and could explode with some amazing wins going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    ...Our 1st-string goalie will still be out this coming weekend. Our 2nd-string goalie was pulled 10 minutes into the 2nd period Saturday night. Our 3rd-string goalie, all 5'10" of him played the remaining 30 minutes of regulation, 5 minutes of OT and the shoot-out. BTW, he's a Freshman (a 21 year-old Freshman).
                    Does it really matter? Not like your 1st or 2nd string guys have really been anything to write home about. Maybe the new guy will be an improvement.

Both these teams have had suspect D so far this year, but Michigan has shown the offensive dominance to routinely overcome their defensive shortcomings. The Gophers have recently come alive offensively, and most of the damage has been done on the PP.

If Michigan decides to pay the penalty box excessive visits in either of these games then the Gophers have a great shot at coming away with a W.
                    If Michigan can play disciplined and limit penalties, it's going to make it very tough for the Gophers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                      Does it really matter? Not like your 1st or 2nd string guys have really been anything to write home about. Maybe the new guy will be an improvement.

Both these teams have had suspect D so far this year, but Michigan has shown the offensive dominance to routinely overcome their defensive shortcomings. The Gophers have recently come alive offensively, and most of the damage has been done on the PP.

If Michigan decides to pay the penalty box excessive visits in either of these games then the Gophers have a great shot at coming away with a W.
                      If Michigan can play disciplined and limit penalties, it's going to make it very tough for the Gophers.
                      Basically you're saying play smart hockey? Michigan is too arrogant for that. They think that they can sore on anyone. I've watched multpild periods where they couldn't score.

QAnd I never said that they were elite goalies. but Racine is very solid. Nagelvoort is a headcase. The 3rd string guy (Catt) does seem to have the hunger, how well he reacts to pressure will be key. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that Nagelvoort on Friday?.
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                        Big game for the both teams this weekend. I was just looking up some numbers and the Gophers are actually playing better than their record indicates. To me the first three games was like shock treatment and an "adjustment" phase for this basically all new team with 10 FR. Starting from the 4th game this is a 6-4 team with an avg. 3.5 goals/game vs. opp 2.6. The Gophers ended last season 3.51 vs. 2.51. If we tighten down the D and keep this scoring pace, a split looks very possible to me.
                        If you can foil the offense a little (just a little), then there's a good chance that you will win. Yea, we score a lot, reasonably often, too. But it's not as if that happens every single game. The fact that it happened against Wisconsin was kind of a shock to me- 12 goals in a weekend isn't common.

On the other hand, giving up 6-10 seems to be more and more common. So if you can hold us to 4 in one night, you've got a great chance of taking a game.

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post

BIG unknown. You are right that it could be an improvement- it would not be the first time that we've settled on #3 to find out that he's really strong between the pipes. But #3 goalies are not #1 for a reason, usually.

Still, the offense is powerful, yet vulnerable. So far, we've not seen any strength on D. Sometimes it's better, but then we get dominated on the PP, and it's worse again. The only thing that's *slightly* better than last year has been zone puck passing. And even that's showing signs of weakness. Not a good situation to be in.

Comment

Hoping for a sweep, begging for a split, and realistic about getting swept.

Sucks.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

You want explosive offense? Solution: play against Michigan's (lack of) defense.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                              You want explosive offense? Solution: play against Michigan's (lack of) defense.
                              So, you're telling me there's a chance....................................
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                              X