This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

With the "Part One" thread nearing its capacity (a little sooner than expected), I figured I'd take advantage of a relatively quiet day and set this follow-up thread afloat. Suffice to say that there were question marks added into the "Champions of December" thread for a reason, and we've pretty much spent most of the last 3 months discussing how the optimism for this year's UNH Men's Hockey team has quickly dissolved, and (as of the time of this writing) the team stands with a worse-than-mediocre 4-6-3 record after completion of most of the "easy" part of their schedule. With two of those four wins coming from twin D-1AA *powerhouses* AIC and Bentley, there's not a lot to look back and be happy about.

For spits and giggles, I've copied some of my outlook predictions and key questions from "Part One" below:

And so that brings us to that schedule thingie, and I'll say here and now that I expect UNH to win at least 10 games by the December break - and hopefully more. They should also have at least 9-10 points on the board after their first 7 HE regular season games. And that points outlook should have them postured for the top 4 - and REAL "home ice" for the HE quarterfinals, instead of "home ice" for the everyone-gets-a-medal round. And if the team can even come close to being able to approximate the strong late-season play of the last two seasons ... a return to the NCAA's SHOULD be attainable. But a fast start - like the good ol' days - is essential not only to set the foundation for a more challenging second-half league schedule, but also to build on the confidence the team developed down the stretch last season. "Champions of December" has been a taunt to the program in the past, but I'd welcome a return to that *title* in 90 days' time, so long as the team doesn't buy into any hype, and understands that even more will be required once they hit early 2016.

I'll leave it to others to discuss other issues within the team, including:

* Will Tirone continue as the everyday goalie? Will Clark get some starts, or is he en route to transferring out when Robinson arrives next season?
    * Is Maller going to be able to return to form in the top two pairings? Which younger D-men will fill the other slots?
    * Does the senior class of forwards have any shot at making an impact, and if not, what younger players step up?

If someone had told me two months ago that this team would be struggling to make it to HALF of 10 wins by the break, I'd have sent for the guys in the white coats to lock that *nutcase* away. But that's pretty much where things stand, and arguably the definitive "turning point" IMO was blowing a 5 goal lead to UMass Amherst. Even though there was a quick bounce-back after that dreadful loss - oops - tie, the after-effects of that fiasco seem to have seriously dented the team's confidence and carryover from the end of the previous season. And now, any momentum from last season is a mirage.

The questions for discussion - Tirone and the situation in goal (it's turned out MUCH worse than expected), the situation with Maller's injury (unfortunately still an ongoing issue), and the to-date dual failure of the seniors' "Maginot Line" and the younger players' inability to make consistently positive impacts, leaves this to be the most notably thin UNH squad I can recall in recent memory.

There are still a ton of games left to play this season, and arguably in the last game or two, we've at least begun to see some possible glimpses of the younger players breaking through and taking on bigger roles in a productive way. But the problem is that UNH's schedule gets decidedly more difficult soon enough, and even with a 1-1-3 HE record, the team sits in 9th place in the league. And while I understand part of that's because they've played so few league games to date (an undefeated Providence team sits in 7th place for the same reason), and some teams further up in the standings appear to be in false positions ... it's hard to argue against the idea that UNH may actually be in the bottom third of the league on merit. Perhaps this coming weekend's home-and-home series with rejuvenated UMaine will shed some light on this?

Anyway ... perhaps as much as we (as fans) entered this season with high hopes, perhaps so did the players, and if so, then maybe there was a little bit of complacency that slipped into the program for the early part of this season? There's no reason for that sentiment to be hanging around the locker room any further, though, and it would be nice to see the team get back up to .500 by the time they hit the break. Maybe build a little momentum and confidence, and then we'll see how things go with the HE heavy rest of the schedule. I don't think too many of us were predicting the (extremely) strong finish to the season last year, so I suppose it's possible it could happen again. But I just don't see it happening.

Revised predictions: UNH finishes under .500 both overall and in Hockey East (8th), ekes out a 2-1 series win at home in the make-believe, everyone-gets-a-medal round of the HE playoffs, then gets swept in the HE quarters on the road, doesn't get to Boston, and no NCAA's (again) Have at it, folks.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

I know I haven’t been on a lot this year but have been reading everything, have been to the games except for a few in Oct. Not going to add any great insight that no one else has. Just my 2 cents. I see the same issues as a lot of people, lack of depth being the biggest one. AS great as it is to see the top line looking so good, it is fun to watch them on the ice, the lack of secondary scoring is a killer. I know there is a lot of talk about the Senior line, I do have to agree with that. If they were the 4th line I wouldn’t have as big of an issue with them as they can check but to play them against one of the top 2 lines doesn’t seem to be working, they aren’t a true shut down line and don’t add any scoring. I think the Freshman line has shown a little spark and would like to see them as the 2nd line and on the PP more. Having Eiserman on the 4th line doesn’t make much sense to me either. I know losing Foelge was a blow to him as they had good chemistry but to bury him will not benefit him or the team. At this point I am not sure who you put him with but not playing him as much is a mistake. Not sure if Salvaggo is hurt, don’t remember seeing anything about that, but he didn’t look bad last year and would like to maybe see him with Eiserman. As for Tirrone every time I see him it seems like he has lost more and confidence, just watch his glove hand it seems to always be way down. I am sure once Clark is healthy he will get a shot in net as Tirrone at this point has not won the job. I like many other feel very frustrated watching this team but will be there to support them every game. Just think 3 years ago this week they were # 1 in the country. As for the future right now it seems like we are at the transition point , just watching the bench can see Souza talking the lead in a lot of things. I think once Umile feels confidence in Souza might see that change, I have a feeling that is going to come sooner than most people thing. When it does happen I hope it opens ups some optimism for the future, but people will take time to reflect and respect all Umile has done for the program it is easy to look at this point in time and think good riddance but with out him we as fans would not have the exceptions we have. Go Cats beat Maine!!

Comment

To your point on Salvaggio's absence ... I think I read somewhere recently that he IS injured.

Not saying he is the answer, but I'd like to see Kalinowski get a shot sometime soon ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        To your point on Salvaggio's absence ... I think I read somewhere recently that he IS injured.

Not saying he is the answer, but I'd like to see Kalinowski get a shot sometime soon ...
        That would make sense, at least I hope. Would also like to see Kalinowski. Think the next 5 games in Dec are a good time to mix it up and see what can work.

Comment

Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
          ...I have a feeling that (this) is going to come sooner than most people thing(k).
          Crossed my mind, too. However if I were Coach I'd not be walking away from my compensation package without a (((very))) compelling reason.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Looks like thread 1 is closed.

Regarding how the rest of NH views the Seacoast, it was never quite as bad as Charlie sings it and has gotten better since my time in Durham, but y'all are friends "of them long haired, hippy-type, pinko f@#s! I betchya (you've) even got a commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of (your) garage(s)."

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Salvaggio has mono, according to today's article in Fosters:

http://www.fosters.com/article/20151...740/14322/NEWS

Marks and Maller are also both out due to injuries, so it's a "bare minimum" compliment of defensemen for the weekend.
              UNH

Comment

From Felger "Chuck I'm with you on this sentiment, but to be perfectly honest I think broad thinking individuals such as us are in the minority. All I have to do is remind you of the juvenile reaction of most of the UNH hockey fanbase to playing a game or two in Manchester...couldn't see the forest for the trees. The provincial, self-serving nature of that whining was a disgrace, and was one of many things that have turned me off a bit to the program."

Actually the fiasco of Manchester proves a point, that the rest of the state gives a rats a** about UNH. The first year they played Dartmouth at the Verizon, the game sold out. The last time UNH played at the Verizon, the attendance was south of 5,000. Now a lot of that has to do with the dwindling support in Durham. But you would think that if there was indeed the warm feeling around the state, particularly in Manchester and Concord, for the team, that plenty of alums, plenty of youth hockey groups would be jumping at the chance to see the ole State U in action. Not the case. And the grumbling among season ticket holders, myself included (not that it matters for me since, from Lynn, it's an hour to Durham and an hour to Manchester) was the disregard the school had for their most loyal supporters. I am talking seating, where the first year they were supposedly give me and my wife seats similar to what I have at the Whit (fourth row, on the blue line opposite the UNH bench) but instead had first row seats directly behind the Dartmouth bench. Then there was the year that fans were told that there was no possible way that UNH students could sit in the lower bowl but then come to the game and find the Maine fans sitting lower bowl right behind the net that Maine shoots at for two periods. And speaking of the students, UNH I believe UNH charged for bus transportation to and from the game for students, who could walk to the game if it was in Durham. Finally, there was the overarching rationale by Marty that we needed to play games in Manchester to show the NCAA that we are worthy of hosting. Well that ship sailed a long time ago. Putting aside the fact that perennial Worcester host BU never, ever played a regular season game at the Centrum, attendance at the Dartmouth game has had no bearing on how many show up for the Regionals, even if UNH is involved. And, of course, nowadays the NCAA is looking for anybody to host. Let's agree on this, that UNH did not bend over backwards to explain to their most loyal fans, the season ticket holders, why a Manchester game was necessary and did little to accommodate the other loyal group, the students, to make sure that they could get to the game. A lot of more of what Chuck and I have talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  Looks like thread 1 is closed.

Regarding how the rest of NH views the Seacoast, it was never quite as bad as Charlie sings it and has gotten better since my time in Durham, but y'all are friends "of them long haired, hippy-type, pinko f@#s! I betchya (you've) even got a commie flag tacked up on the wall inside of (your) garage(s)."
                  used to love that song as a teenager in the 70's...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Greg A. Just to carry forward the discussion on DU and state support, I realize the search for DU's replacement is over as far as DU is concerned. However, it remains to be seen if this will stand though. It may be naivete on my part to assume a legit search will take place but the U must have strict policies regarding this which must be adhered to. Regarding state support/interest, I can only tell you that I know people who still travel to games from as far away as the Claremont area. Berlin has always been a hockey hotbed and UNH stronghold. Obviously(DU's fav word!), most fans going to the games come from the seacoast area because of the proximity to Durham.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Lots of beating around the bush. I'll state it plain and simple...

WILL YOU PEOPLE FUKIN FIRE UMILE ALREADY!!!!

No need to thank me. Just buy me a beer.
                      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

We can't because apparently he already fired himself and hired his own replacement! You can't make this stuff up!
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post

I do believe there's a thread for that 😉
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            I do believe there's a thread for that ��
                            Don't encourage them.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Don't encourage them.
                              My bad not my intention...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X