X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    If my history is correct, the 6 game losing streak is the longest since a seven game skid in Kullen's first year. (When we were still 11 years away from a return to the frozen four.)

And if they do drop 10 in a row, that will be the longest losing streak since Charlie Holt's final season. How's that for karma?
    Losing streaks. This six game is the longest by two in Umile's career. Twice in the 2011-2012 season (the one that ended with the BU quarterfinal series) UNH had four game losing streaks. You are right about this being the longest since the seven in 1986-1987 and that the 10 in a row would be the longest since Charlie's last year (1985-1986) but it kind of obscures the fact in that year they lost 15 in a row (the longest ever) and lost 21 out of 23. And in Charlie's next to last year, the first year of Hockey East and the interlocking schedule with the WCHA, UNH lost 15 of the first 16 games they played. They actually rebounded that year and secured home ice in the first round of the playoffs but lost to Lowell.

So, even though I have this sense of deja vu all over again, I guess it could be worse. I was there for those mid to late 80's teams when they won 32 games in four seasons (32-91-7). They were awful, really awful. Back then Lively Snively was a morgue, Not that the Whit (sans students) is not. I saw it turn around and we can only hope that Souza et al can repeat history. Just like Charlie, who had wonderful teams through the early 80's, Umile is fading at the end. Inattention, aloofness, whatever you want to call it, it is still disappointing that his career will probably end the same way his old coach's did.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      Losing streaks. This six game is the longest by two in Umile's career. Twice in the 2011-2012 season (the one that ended with the BU quarterfinal series) UNH had four game losing streaks. You are right about this being the longest since the seven in 1986-1987 and that the 10 in a row would be the longest since Charlie's last year (1985-1986) but it kind of obscures the fact in that year they lost 15 in a row (the longest ever) and lost 21 out of 23. And in Charlie's next to last year, the first year of Hockey East and the interlocking schedule with the WCHA, UNH lost 15 of the first 16 games they played. They actually rebounded that year and secured home ice in the first round of the playoffs but lost to Lowell.

So, even though I have this sense of deja vu all over again, I guess it could be worse. I was there for those mid to late 80's teams when they won 32 games in four seasons (32-91-7). They were awful, really awful. Back then Lively Snively was a morgue, Not that the Whit (sans students) is not. I saw it turn around and we can only hope that Souza et al can repeat history. Just like Charlie, who had wonderful teams through the early 80's, Umile is fading at the end. Inattention, aloofness, whatever you want to call it, it is still disappointing that his career will probably end the same way his old coach's did.
      I remember when they beat CC to end that 15 game skid....was over the XMas break....not too many fans at Snively....but those that were there stood and cheered during the final couple minutes when it was apparent that they were finally going to win one. Won't make the highlight package on the jumbotron today but a special moment nonetheless. All things considered that single digit win team made a pretty respectable showing for themselves in the first round of the playoffs, giving a pretty good BU team a run for its money.

Also important to remember just how brutal those interlocking schedules were back then, with North Dakota, Minny, Denver, Duluth, etc counting in the standings.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        I remember when they beat CC to end that 15 game skid....was over the XMas break....not too many fans at Snively....but those that were there stood and cheered during the final couple minutes when it was apparent that they were finally going to win one. Won't make the highlight package on the jumbotron today but a special moment nonetheless. All things considered that single digit win team made a pretty respectable showing for themselves in the first round of the playoffs, giving a pretty good BU team a run for its money.

Also important to remember just how brutal those interlocking schedules were back then, with North Dakota, Minny, Denver, Duluth, etc counting in the standings.
        UGH 15 losses in a row. We can look most recently to BU's 2013-14 season...Dave Quinns first year with the team? A couple of 6 in a row losses that season, and, losing to NIIC in the first round of HE. (And they only played one game. double ugh to go out there, lose, come home, season over God help us if we end up going out there...shhhh) Helped to have Jack E come in the next year...and they are back to the NC (and HE champs) Things have a way of coming back around if you want them to, or, they can stay the same, or, gulp, get worse. UNH surely has a vision, yes? And if they don't, they certainly should.

Unfortunately its the games you lost, rather than the games you won, that people remember. Today I had a small class as the sophomores weren't there and I have 3 hockey players hanging around with nothing to do. So of course I showed them UNH hockey clips of the glory days. Travis Roy story, etc. I know we can get back to those days but in the mean time, like the rest of you here's hoping we can still win a few down the stretch.

Like many of you I'm hoping that MS is selling that, getting back to those days and don'tcha wanna be a part of it??

Ps Tomorrow night it's TvR v Pesce in NBCSN 7:30.
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-25-2016, 02:28 PM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          I now think that the Cats will pull off an upset to win or tie at least one of their next four games. Even a blind, deaf, scentless squirrel finds the nut once in a while?
          I can not see this happening. After the embarrassment that was the first NU game, they followed it up with another and then this weekend. Friday was one of the worse games I have seen by a hockey team at any level.

Numbers by the weekend

Score 3-8
          Shots 50-69
          PP 1-12
          PK 5-9
          Points 0
          Spots lost in standings 2

I think the team and coaches are lost. The 5 forward power play is awful with the skill level. Forwards can not defend a rush the other way. At one point two of the leading scorers in Div 1 were at the point, they could get nothing established and entries into the zone were poor.

It also appears Poturalski is in TVR mode, try on offense, don't get hurt on defense, and float in the neutral zone. I was against line changes earlier but now I think change is worth it.

The only positives I saw this weekend were Eiserman trying to play physical, and the Vela/Miller/Nazarian line has some promise.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post
            I can not see this happening. After the embarrassment that was the first NU game, they followed it up with another and then this weekend. Friday was one of the worse games I have seen by a hockey team at any level.

Numbers by the weekend

Score 3-8
            Shots 50-69
            PP 1-12
            PK 5-9
            Points 0
            Spots lost in standings 2

I think the team and coaches are lost. The 5 forward power play is awful with the skill level. Forwards can not defend a rush the other way. At one point two of the leading scorers in Div 1 were at the point, they could get nothing established and entries into the zone were poor.

It also appears Poturalski is in TVR mode, try on offense, don't get hurt on defense, and float in the neutral zone. I was against line changes earlier but now I think change is worth it.

The only positives I saw this weekend were Eiserman trying to play physical, and the Vela/Miller/Nazarian line has some promise.
            Agree with a lot of what you are saying team needs to figure it out and I've heard the mood is down as you'd expect after these past two weekends. That being said felt there were good things on Saturday and felt the D skated more confidently with Regan in net. Hope they fix that PP couldn't agree more!

Fun fact of the day tonight Kevin G and Phil DeSimone are playing on the same line tonight as De Simone has recently joined the AHL Phantoms.
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-25-2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to see Agosta v. CDS in the next exciting episode of the ECHL Game of the Week!!

Sorry, I was gonna try to post something more positive, but I'll let my interns - er, *assistants* - handle that for me.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Can't wait to see Agosta v. CDS in the next exciting episode of the ECHL Game of the Week!!

Sorry, I was gonna try to post something more positive, but I'll let my interns - er, *assistants* - handle that for me.
                And just who might these minions, er, assistants be?

ps couldn't help but check the schedule of the game you mention and alas, they've already played each other this season..sigh. Too bad coz I'd love to see Matt Willows light up CDS...just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Ps Tomorrow night it's TvR v Pesce in NBCSN 7:30.
                  Thanks for that Ref. Something to look forward to watching in this season of transition. No "Garden Party" this year I suspect!
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                    Thanks for that Ref. Something to look forward to watching in this season of transition. No "Garden Party" this year I suspect!
                    Oh not a prob. Not sure if it's going to happen as just read Pesce has a lower body "concern" or something like that. Might play. Aw, I remember how fun that first
                    'Gahden Party' was!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                      All things considered that single digit win team made a pretty respectable showing for themselves in the first round of the playoffs, giving a pretty good BU team a run for its money.
                      Was 1985-86 the last one-digit win UNH team? Are these pre-USCHO.com season records archived somewhere online? Winning only one more game this season would be truly ignominious.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 01-25-2016, 08:37 PM.

Comment

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/u.-of-n...hire-8644.html
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Thanks for link, watcher. So, there were three single-digit win seasons in a row from 1984-85 to 1986-87; yikes! Another bad one with only 12 wins in 1994-95 in Manch when the Whitt was being built. Three out of four of the recent seasons, db hockey apparently includes only HEA games, and not OOC games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Thanks for link, watcher. So, there were three single-digit win seasons in a row from 1984-85 to 1986-87; yikes! Another bad one with only 12 wins in 1994-95 in Manch when the Whitt was being built. Three out of four of the recent seasons, db hockey apparently includes only HEA games, and not OOC games.
                            Actually, the 12 win season came in 95-96 - UNHs first season at the Whitt. That was a team led by a stud junior (Bogey), a stud sophomore (Mowers) and some developing young talent but one that also had defensive issues and porous goaltending. Sound familiar? Happy 20th anniversary!!

We should be so lucky to have the current young talent develop like the young talent of the mid-90s...

Edit: the 95-96 senior class was Hall, Sullivan, Pleau, T O'Brien, Cavicchi and Norton. The juniors were Bogey, a solid defenseman (Murray) and very little else (I'm counting Nolan as a sophomore because he essentially missed all of the previous season AND it makes my comparison even stronger!). This also sounds familiar...

Maybe they'd get to 12 wins this year if there was a Todd Hall on the team, but I'm afraid there isn't....
                            Last edited by Dan; 01-26-2016, 03:25 AM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Thanks for link, watcher. So, there were three single-digit win seasons in a row from 1984-85 to 1986-87; yikes! Another bad one with only 12 wins in 1994-95 in Manch when the Whitt was being built. Three out of four of the recent seasons, db hockey apparently includes only HEA games, and not OOC games.
                              You were surely right about one thing; replacing those goals by Willows, Downing has been a big challenge. Eiserman needs to get on it...was surprised to see he hasn't scored this season?!? Couldn't help but look at how WF is faring...pretty good I see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Actually, the 12 win season came in 95-96 - UNHs first season at the Whitt. That was a team led by a stud junior (Bogey), a stud sophomore (Mowers) and some developing young talent but one that also had defensive issues and porous goaltending. Sound familiar? Happy 20th anniversary!!

We should be so lucky to have the current young talent develop like the young talent of the mid-90s...

Edit: the 95-96 senior class was Hall, Sullivan, Pleau, T O'Brien, Cavicchi and Norton. The juniors were Bogey, a solid defenseman (Murray) and very little else (I'm counting Nolan as a sophomore because he essentially missed all of the previous season AND it makes my comparison even stronger!). This also sounds familiar...

Maybe they'd get to 12 wins this year if there was a Todd Hall on the team, but I'm afraid there isn't....
                                Thanks for correction; I should have not made that mistake as I was on campus that season as a visiting professor and saw a lot of games at the Whitt. Being the first year of play at the Whitt, I had to stand in line on Thursday mornings before the box office opened to get ticket(s) that had been returned for resale, so that is one big difference between then and now.

Reminds me that Boguniecki was only a freshman when he ended the final game at Snively with a rush the length of the ice deep into OT against BC; I and the other fans went wild. One of the better UNH alum pro careers that included a full and 40-point season with the Blues in 2002-03. Would have been my choice for next HC at UNH.

Comment

Working...
                                X