This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

Well, without a Scores thread, I'll just drop this this recurring observation here... Look at the goal replays last night. It's the same old loosy-goosy defensive zone coverage. Three of those goals with practically uncontested shots... This D-group is pathetic. Quit the puck-watching and COVER SOMEBODY, for crying out load! Make it painful to cruise the slot!! Win a game 2-1 or 1-0! It's so, so bad.
    Shrink-The-Rink, Win a Title

Comment

FYI - The Wildcats will play at Colorado College next season.

Colorado College again opens the schedule against Hockey East powers with No. 11 UMass-Lowell playing a two-game series Oct. 14-15 for homecoming followed by a split weekend with No. 4 Boston College and New Hampshire on Oct. 21-22 at The Broadmoor World Arena. The two Hockey East teams will likely play No. 14 Denver on alternate nights that same weekend.
      http://gazette.com/next-seasons-colo...rticle/1567934

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Agree with Watcher on the goalie situation. But, who is the third goalie at the moment in practice? Or, is there one, other than a goalie from the club team? And, how is the club team doing this year? Grasping for any UNH success to discuss here, although I realize that this is a Div 1 thread.
        Club team is ranked 1st in the Northeast with a record of 13-2-1. And they have 4 goalies on their roster so I assume that there's a club goalie who has gotten the call up to practice with the big club.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          It's crucial Umile goes into next seasons goalie rotations with an open mind. Unless Tirone returns to form and is absolutely lights out, they have to get time for the other goalies early and find the best PT mix for the team...
          Agreed 100%. Clearly Coach Umile rates Tirone over Clark, that much is obvious. He earned it last season ... this season, not so much (although the play in front of him isn't helping things). One would think that barring a fantastic turnaround down the stretch, the door is wide open for Clark and Robinson to challenge next Fall. Umile has shown a willingness to move off of his "incumbent" in the past when warranted (Conklin over Matile, CDS over Digiralomo to name two), so there's no reason to think he'll be overly loyal to Tirone in current form.

I'd say this was shaping up as fascinating ... but expected the program (replete with easier schedule) to move up to at least challenge for the NCAA's. Instead it is stagnating at the .500 level for yet another mediocre season.

Nothing fascinating about that. In a word, frustrating ... and two seasons more like this to follow? Ugh ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Thanks, Journey34; to me that is lots more reassuring than our D-men in front of the net.

Interesting on the return to Colorado next fall; good for Dan, right? I will plan to fly out for that weekend, as I not have been to either CC or DU for games.
            Last edited by Snively65; 01-16-2016, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakchk20 View Post
              Well, without a Scores thread, I'll just drop this this recurring observation here... Look at the goal replays last night. It's the same old loosy-goosy defensive zone coverage. Three of those goals with practically uncontested shots... This D-group is pathetic. Quit the puck-watching and COVER SOMEBODY, for crying out load! Make it painful to cruise the slot!! Win a game 2-1 or 1-0! It's so, so bad.
              Yep...and when you are sitting right on the glass and see it develop its well ugh...😳
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Always nice after a UNH loss to head to the DU game and sit in a sea of LaLeggia jerseys! Icing on the cake last night was a pair of nifty goals for Western Michigan captain Sheldon Dries...
                DD's younger brother? Quite the sniper if last night is his norm. Were we not interested in him and vice versa after Danny's UNH experience?

Last night the 'cats had the look of a team that has accepted its destiny. They need to recall from the past 2 seasons that down the stretch any HEA team can win or lose to any other, secure a 5 - 8 seed, win the 1st 2 rounds and advance to the Garden.

Our video screen kicks the crap out out of NU's. Not even close. The signs hanging from the Matthews balcony are classics. No PC policing going on down there.
                Last edited by Darius; 01-16-2016, 01:51 PM.
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                  DD's younger brother? Quite the sniper if last night is his norm. Were we not interested in him and vice versa after Danny's UNH experience?.
                  DD's cousin - he's a good player, leads the WMU power-play and penalty kill and his two goals last night were bar-down snipes. I would imagine that the DD situation made recruiting his cousin an unlikely scenario for both sides. I don't have any insight to what - if anything - was communicated between SD and UNH, but I do know he'd really help right now...

Also, I don't believe SD took a single penalty last night!
                  Last edited by Dan; 01-16-2016, 12:51 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Interesting on the return to Colorado next fall; good for Dan, right?
                    Great for Dan! Magness (DU) is awesome, youll enjoy it. World Arena (CC) is pretty sterile. Although that may have something to do with CC scoring just twice and being shut-out three times in the four games I've caught there this year.

It could be worse...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      DD's younger brother? Quite the sniper if last night is his norm. Were we not interested in him and vice versa after Danny's UNH experience?

Last night the 'cats had the look of a team that has accepted its destiny. They need to recall from the past 2 seasons that down the stretch any HEA team can win or lose to any other, secure a 5 - 8 seed, win the 1st 2 rounds and advance to the Garden.

Our video screen kick the crap out out of NU's. Not even close. The signs hanging from the Matthews balcony are classics. No PC policing going on down there.
                      Hey Darius I do believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head about the 'Cats looking like they have accepted their lot in D1 hockey. They need to watch the film the "Legend of Bagger Vance"
                      And pay particular attention to the scene in the woods towards the end...
                      Agree on the signs very interesting. We could use some of that spirit at the 'Whitt..
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Great for Dan! Magness (DU) is awesome, youll enjoy it. World Arena (CC) is pretty sterile. Although that may have something to do with CC scoring just twice and being shut-out three times in the four games I've caught there this year.

It could be worse...
                        Speaking of Danny Dries, he had a good freshman year at UNH, the year that I attended the FF at the Pepsi Center, with the expectation that our Cats would be there, but for NICC blocking the way two weeks earlier in the Springs. :-(

My brother, who is in Lakewood, attended the UNH at CC and DU games in October 2012, which were bizarre goal-scoring festivals, if nothing else.

CC appears to be the current UMO of the WCHA.
                        Last edited by Snively65; 01-16-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Speaking of Danny Dries, he had a good freshman year at UNH, the year that I attended the FF at the Pepsi Center, with the expectation that our Cats would be there, but for NICC blocking the way two weeks earlier in the Springs. :-(

My brother, who is in Lakewood, attended the UNH at CC and DU games in October 2012, which were bizarre goal-scoring festivals, if nothing else.

CC appears to be the current UMO of the WCHA.
                          I was there as well in 2012. Denver game was ridiculous. CDS gets pulled after 3 goals in the first nine minutes. We start to slowly draw our way back in, but are down 4-2 after two. Then we explode for 4 in the 3rd, mainly coming in the later minutes of the game, to win. I was sitting next to the tunnel and will admit getting a little carried away and high-fiving players coming off the ice. I'm generally not "that guy", but man that was a super game to watch.

Speaking of tunnels and getting carried away, I wonder if Coach Madigan will get, ahem, MAD AGAIN at the Whitt and threaten a few students tonight.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Glad I got my ticket early for the game. I think the crowd at Libby's watching the Pats will out number those at the Whit.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              Speaking of tunnels and getting carried away, I wonder if Coach Madigan will get, ahem, MAD AGAIN at the Whitt and threaten a few students tonight.
                              I hope the students bring the fish round to his side of the arena and drop it on his head this time.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

5 NU goals on 8 SOG in the second? Really? Obviously, once and for all, SOG are meaningless. :-(

Comment

Working...
                                X