X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2015-2016 (Part Two) - Managing Decreasing Expectations

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    Greg
    Bomber's observations were based not on his age, but on his refusal to do any more heavy lifting.
    That comports with my own observations in our 2012 discussion about Umile's lack of involvement in getting kids and then seeing that they get into school
    see
    http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...=1#post5414473

It also comports with what we saw once Borek left, and a lot of players felt they had no connection to Umile.

So, to speak for Bomber, its not his age why he should have retired, it was that he no longer had the desire to perform the obligations of his job.
    Please re-read my post. I think we are talking in parallel universes. My criticism of Bomber's post is based on his statement that, if Umile had the good of the program at heart, he would have resigned 5-7 years ago. Watcher, I don't know where you work or whether or not you are the boss, but the thought that a guy in his late 50's, as successful as he has been would look in the mirror and unilaterally say, "you know, i can't do the job anymore, the guys on USCHO are right, I should quit" is beyond ludicrous. Seven years ago was 2009, the year after they were a number one seed in Colorado Springs. The following three years they made the NCAA regional final. Whether or not you think that these are all hollow accomplishments, the fact is that Umile didn't and neither did the those in a position to fire him. As I said before, Umile's biggest deficiency is his faith and confidence in others to do their job. That's why he was loyal to Borek and why seniors get the first chance on the power play. We are now at the point where the end is on the horizon. Let's be thankful for that. And btw, given Borek's track record over the past few years, two or three recruits following him to Providence does not exactly make me quake in my boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
      Bottom Line:

UNH with MacDonald in the line-up 3-6-4

UNH without MacDonald in the line-up 5-1-0

Actually I see some similarities between this situation and that of 2011-12, when Mike Borisenok was a captain. MB started the season on the top line....UNH was massacred in first three games....by the time the World Series started Borisenok was skating third line and actually played on the 4th line during part of that season.

Difference this season seems to be that DU was a bit slower to make the move with MacDonald
      The difference is also that Borisenok was a regular who played pretty much every game in his soph and junior seasons, and entered his senior year with roughly twice the number of games played than MacDonald did at the same point. Patrick Foley (3 yrs. with a letter?) was never a guy to post huge numbers, but he played every game pretty much from Day One. Another guy I recall who was an earlier version of Foley was Bob Chebator ('94) who also played most/every game in all four years despite not posting huge numbers. Foley and Chebator were lead-by-example guys who were not afraid to play a physical game, despite being surrounded by less physical teammates.

None of Borisenok (bar his frosh season), Foley or Chebator was ever a regular healthy scratch, and they certainly weren't sitting in the stands when their teams were playing their biggest games.

It's not "just about stats", HR. It's about having presence and currency with your teammates. You earn that from being out there in the biggest games ... and remember, this was a team that had to scratch and claw its way into the postseason mix last season, culminating with an inspiring road upset of the eventual D-1 champions to earn a return trip to Boston. Shouldn't your returning leaders reflect some of the heart and soul that went into that? Instead, the players basically trivialized the "C", and Coach didn't save them from themselves.

You can admire someone for how he's had to handle adversity with injuries, etc. without handing him the "C".

Sorry to beat the dead horse yet again. Gotta go - my Empathy 101 class starts in 5 minutes ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        The difference is also that Borisenok was a regular who played pretty much every game in his soph and junior seasons, and entered his senior year with roughly twice the number of games played than MacDonald did at the same point. Patrick Foley (3 yrs. with a letter?) was never a guy to post huge numbers, but he played every game pretty much from Day One. Another guy I recall who was an earlier version of Foley was Bob Chebator ('94) who also played most/every game in all four years despite not posting huge numbers. Foley and Chebator were lead-by-example guys who were not afraid to play a physical game, despite being surrounded by less physical teammates.

None of Borisenok (bar his frosh season), Foley or Chebator was ever a regular healthy scratch, and they certainly weren't sitting in the stands when their teams were playing their biggest games.

It's not "just about stats", HR. It's about having presence and currency with your teammates. You earn that from being out there in the biggest games ... and remember, this was a team that had to scratch and claw its way into the postseason mix last season, culminating with an inspiring road upset of the eventual D-1 champions to earn a return trip to Boston. Shouldn't your returning leaders reflect some of the heart and soul that went into that? Instead, the players basically trivialized the "C", and Coach didn't save them from themselves.

You can admire someone for how he's had to handle adversity with injuries, etc. without handing him the "C".

Sorry to beat the dead horse yet again. Gotta go - my Empathy 101 class starts in 5 minutes ...
        Whew! Glad you are taking care of this glaring issue Chuck! And if that one doesn't work out, I know a great instructor
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-05-2016, 02:31 PM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

With you Chuck. Not singling Ref out here, but I have come across an awful lot of people over the years who think effort is enough a ticket to get regular and prominent playing time. It is interesting the three guys you cite. I hadn't thought about Bob Chebator in a long time. He was a grinder, lead by example type kid. He was captain in, I think, 1994. UNH made the NCAA's that year and actually won a game (2-0 vs. RPI, Trent Cavicchi in net), so you could say he did his job. As for Foley, he had a letter on his jersey three straight years. Although injuries played a part I suppose, I never got the impression that he had much skill (hands of stone) but he certainly was an integral part of some pretty good teams, including the FF loss to Minny in 2003. I'll always remember his heartfelt speech after that loss, it was a good one. As for Borisenok, he was smart, hard worker and accepted his role whatever it was. I'll add that his dad Walt is one of the great hockey parents I have ever been exposed to. It was great to see him and Mike earlier this year when they and others were acknowledged for their contributions for the jumbotron. What all three of these had in common were they had built a resume, something that Umile could see and endorse. That's why they were captains. As for McDonald, one can applaud his efforts to overcome his injuries, and I feel bad that he will be missing a big chunk of his senior year, but it doesn't make him captain material in my book. Sorry. However Umile thinks otherwise and that's all that counts.

Comment

So what EXACTLY is the process for electing the UNH captains? Two simple questions...

1. Do the players, and the players ONLY, elect their captains?

2. Does Umile have veto power, or does he fully delegate the choice to the team?

Just the facts, folks, please.

And yes, I realize there is some redundancy in the questions, but I just want to be crystal clear.
            Last edited by wildcatdc; 01-05-2016, 04:52 PM.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              So what EXACTLY is the process for electing the UNH captains? Two simple questions...

1. Do the players, and the players ONLY, elect their captains?

2. Does Umile have a say, or does he fully delegate the choice to the team?

Just the facts, folks, please.
              Honestly don't know, 'dc. Not sure it matters, though. It's Coach Umile's program, so he gets to decide how those things happen. If he decides it's the players' choice, it doesn't mean Coach isn't still accountable for their selection.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65;6249626[B
                ]Yeah, I missed the "vital," which was probably the wrong word choice, HR.........[/B]unless the team is now playing for their ailing captain? "Oh, captain, my captain!" Thanks for the comparison to Borisenok, Felger; without looking up his numbers, he did have better junior year stats than MacDonald, I think? And, his family helped us get a Jumbotron!
                Well I will respectfully disagree with you Snively65...but I do appreciate your reference to one of my all time fav movies, "Dead Poets Society". Obviously the term 'vital' implies great contributions/absolutely necessary stuff but those contributions are not always soley limited to the ice and that was what I was referring to. Give me a little credit folks; I know that effort does not a Captain make. Standing down on the topic; it is what it is. The primary objective is seeing what we can do in these upcoming HE games as they are soooo critical and, vital to making any kind of noise in the post season, yes?

And just so it's clear; I want, and expect, the absolute best players on that ice at all times, and for the team to win games...especially this coming Friday. Go 'Cats!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Honestly don't know, 'dc. Not sure it matters, though. It's Coach Umile's program, so he gets to decide how those things happen. If he decides it's the players' choice, it doesn't mean Coach isn't still accountable for their selection.
                  I understand your point, but I'm going to sit tight until someone can confirm the process.
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    I understand your point, but I'm going to sit tight until someone can confirm the process.
                    I think that the process is murky, at best, and was discussed ad nauseam in one of our previous threads when the announcements were made last spring.

Originally posted by HockeyRef
                    [And just so it's clear; I want, and expect, the absolute best players on that ice at all times, and for the team to win games...especially this coming Friday. Go 'Cats!!!
                    Speaking of which, where was Rich Boyd the other night, hurt?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      I think that the process is murky, at best, and was discussed ad nauseam in one of our previous threads when the announcements were made last spring.

Speaking of which, where was Rich Boyd the other night, hurt?
                      No idea he hasnt played in awhile saw he, Chanter and Borque at UVM but of course didn't/wouldn't ask...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Well I will respectfully disagree with you Snively65...but I do appreciate your reference to one of my all time fav movies, "Dead Poets Society". Obviously the term 'vital' implies great contributions/absolutely necessary stuff but those contributions are not always soley limited to the ice and that was what I was referring to. Give me a little credit folks; I know that effort does not a Captain make. Standing down on the topic; it is what it is. The primary objective is seeing what we can do in these upcoming HE games as they are soooo critical and, vital to making any kind of noise in the post season, yes?

And just so it's clear; I want, and expect, the absolute best players on that ice at all times, and for the team to win games...especially this coming Friday. Go 'Cats!!!
                        I think you just dissed Walt Whitman! 😱
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          I think you just dissed Walt Whitman! ��
                          Geeze I can't seem to do anything right today...sorry Walt.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-05-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Geeze I can't seem to do anything right today...sorry Walt.
                            Not sure how you dissed Walt; our captain is ailing, whereas Lincoln was assassinated?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Not sure how you dissed Walt; our captain is ailing, whereas Lincoln was assassinated?
                              I know right? Guess Aerman has more insight into the literary side of things than I gave him credit for hahaha! CARPE DIEM gang!

Comment

Andrew Pots is HE's Player of the Month...again! This is getting old haha Congrats Andrew!!

Video highlights courtesy of Mike Lowry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0L2U09dYOs

Also word on the street is that Eiserman will return next week...MacD, out indef but we knew that.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-06-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X