Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    Olympic Ice, which both teams have to deal with, is an unfair advantage, but setting up your rink so the penalty box is next to the home team's bench and away teams have to wait for a whistle to get to/from the locker room isn't. D'ohkay...
    Hey, I didn't design the arena. As Romey says, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" and this isn't even cheating. It is completely legal. I even posted the applicable NCAA rink design rules/standards from the NCAA's own web site in the UNO arena thread that underscored this.

Where is the boundary line between doing anything and everything that is allowed under the existing rules to exploit inherent advantages in doing so, and, "sportsmanship"? If the rules allow it, a lot of "somebodies" didn't think it was an unfair advantage. What is unsportsmanlike or unfair about following the existing rules, I ask you?

By the way, I readily concede that arguments either way here have merit. And, I'm not necessarily an advocate here either way. But, the rules, as they currently exist, were followed.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
      Hey, I didn't design the arena. As Romey says, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'" and this isn't even cheating. It is completely legal. I even posted the applicable NCAA rink design rules/standards from the NCAA's own web site in the UNO arena thread that underscored this.

Where is the boundary line between doing anything and everything that is allowed under the existing rules to exploit inherent advantages in doing so, and, "sportsmanship"? If the rules allow it, a lot of "somebodies" didn't think it was an unfair advantage. What is unsportsmanlike or unfair about following the existing rules, I ask you?

By the way, I readily concede that arguments either way here have merit. And, I'm not necessarily an advocate here either way. But, the rules, as they currently exist, were followed.
      There was a Gopher-Bulldog game a few years back, I was watching on TV and the color guy (forget if it was Woog or post-Woog era) called out that UMD was sneaking guys out of the penalty box early and should be getting penalized for too many men on the ice. The old DECC had that same setup, with the visitors box on the opposite side of the ice from the home and penalty boxes. Eventually, at least one on-ice official caught them at this game and penalized them for it. The bulldogs were cheating, they were caught, and they paid the price.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Now that Seeler plays for the goofers, are there any chippy/dirty players remaining on or new to the Omaha roster that St. Cloud has to look out for tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
          Now that Seeler plays for the goofers, are there any chippy/dirty players remaining on or new to the Omaha roster that St. Cloud has to look out for tonight?
          One guy, his name's Dean Blais.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
            It works both ways. We are at a disadvantage when we play other teams on the NHL sized rinks because we practice on Olympic size most of the time, both rinks are Olympic.

SCSU goes over to the MAC (Municipal Athletic Complex) in preparation for road NHL size games, probably only one or two practices in advance the week of.
            Forgot to mention, but this reminds me of a line from Craig Dahl back in the day. When playing an away game against an opponent with a 200x85 rink, he would move the team from the main rink in the NHC to the practice rink because "it feels smaller than the main rink."

Oh, the Dahlie Llama was always good for something entertaining to come out of his mouth.

Comment

All I want is some/any points this weekend for UNO. I care about maintaining our Pairwise ranking. I don't really give two sh*ts about the conference race. I care about being in the hunt for NCAA championships. And, Pairwise is the easiest ticket to that, particularly because of the conference we play in. Kick butts out of conference (UNO is 8-0-0, currently) and play .500 or better in conference and you are in. Simple formula. If we make the tourney nearly every year and never win a conference championship that's a good trade as far as I am concerned.
              If you aren't in the hunt for the conference race, you are probably gonna be on the bubble sweating it out the last weekend of the season. The NCHC got lucky to get 6 teams in last year. If a couple upsets happen in the conference tournaments, ECAC and Hockey East have been great out of conference this season, say ECAC gets 3 or 4 teams in, HE gets 4 or 5, Big Ten gets 1 or 2, Atlantic Hockey gets 1, WCHA gets 1 or 2 you are down to 4 teams getting in from the NCHC.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I could watch 4 of these games. Good hockey.

Comment

What on Earth Kirk Thompson is doing in goal tonight for UNO, I have no idea.

Comment

What on Earth Kirk Thompson is doing in goal tonight for UNO, I have no idea.
                    Getting hung out to dry by your sleepwalking d-men.
                    Originally posted by SJHovey
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    Originally posted by Brenthoven
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      One guy, his name's Dean Blais.
                      Funny response, but I disagree. Sounds like it became a pretty chippy game as it progressed. Peterson knocked out by Maverick who got away with cheap shot.

St. Cloud has to stop ringing the pipes around Omaha's goalie and bury this team tomorrow night.

Think I'll take my wife to the game tomorrow at the Herb Brooks Center.

Comment

Third period got chippy. Glad to see Charlie rebound after taking a big hit in goal. Everyone at the top keeps winning. Lets get the sweep tomorrow.

Comment

Sounds like Peterson out till after the break.
                          Bury the chances again tomorrow.
                          IMO would have been the same with Wenninger in net.
                          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Yeah, Judd went really hard into the boards. Hopefully not a broken collarbone or separated shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by Husckey Domi Nation View Post
                              Funny response, but I disagree. Sounds like it became a pretty chippy game as it progressed. Peterson knocked out by Maverick who got away with cheap shot.

St. Cloud has to stop ringing the pipes around Omaha's goalie and bury this team tomorrow night.

Think I'll take my wife to the game tomorrow at the Herb Brooks Center.
                              Peterson wasn't the victim of a cheap shot. The UNO guy barely touched him, but Judd's skate caught a groove or he toe-picked at the same time, and that launched him into the boards at a bad angle. They showed the replay on the broadcast, and it was just an unfortunate and scary play.

Comment

Wenninger starts and they still lose. Massa start and they lose. Faulkner starts and they still lose. I dont think UNO has a goalie in their team's history that changes that outcome
                                tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Working...
                                X