UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    The CORSI can be used to show time of possession. But, like you said, what good is time of possession if all the shots come from the perimeter? I'd rather see a comparison of scoring chances for and scoring chances against, but that could be seen as a highly subjective stat and easily manipulated.
    I think "who" can mean more than "how many" with shots. When UNO swept us in Kato, we outshot them by a pretty substantial margin, but not when the top lines were on the ice. Ortega got 9 shots in the Friday game alone. Some of the dumber analytics guys (Ryan Lambert, for instance) seem to believe a shot's a shot, but a Guentzel or Ortega shot has a much better chance of going in than some 4th liner's shot

Comment

Re: UNO @ SCSU: Unleash the Murray! Dec 4 and 5

So I should get everyone to yell "SHOOT!" whenever SCSU has the puck?

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
        They were out shot 2265-2121 for the season, yet somehow ended up in the Frozen Four.
        Half the field woulda made it id they had had your path.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
          I hate stats that people make up in order to try to create trends. Corsi does nothing to reflect the quality of the shot attempt, only that it happened.

UNO had a Corsi of 48.4% last year which was 43rd in the country. They were out shot 2265-2121 for the season, yet somehow ended up in the Frozen Four.

I guess I just don't care about getting out shot as much as I care about getting outscored.
          Except that UNO became only the 2nd team since the field went to 16 teams to ever even make the tourney with a Corsi number as low as UNO's was last season and is the only one to ever win a tourney game, much less, go to the Frozen Four.

Edit: I am trying to find Chris Dilks SBNation post where he discussed this and post the link here. It's been since the season started.

That said, I agree with you.

However, we clearly don't make sense "on paper". I readily acknowledge you don't play the game on paper, though. I said in another thread that UNO is almost like the Kansas City Royals of college hockey--they seem to win in an unconventional way.

By the way, so far the goaltending is even more phenomenal (as long as Weninger is in there, that is). It better be (as well as the penalty kill) when you are getting outshot like we are.
          Last edited by Red Cows; 11-30-2015, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Except that UNO became only the 2nd team since the field went to 16 teams to ever even make the tourney with a Corsi number as low as UNO's was last season and is the only one to ever win a tourney game, much less, go to the Frozen Four.

Edit: I am trying to find Chris Dilks SBNation post where he discussed this and post the link here. It's been since the season started.
            Here is the post by Chris Dilks I thought I was referring to:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...-stat-outliers

Where he does address the incongruity of UNO's shot numbers.

Somebody else made the NCAA tourney contention about UNO in another post somewhere else I read. Wracking my brain to try and remember where. I reserve the right to be wrong about that one until I can substantiate what I think I remember reading. If anybody can refute this in the meantime, please do so.

Comment

"We have a losing record when outshooting the opponent and are undefeated when being outshot. "

Is there any correlation on who scores first? Chris Dilks also said Omaha is the worst team to watch when they get ahead- boring trap.

Basically calling it unwatchable garbage...
              http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/wcha...inger-randolph

It's safe to say it is a lot harder to play that style (stacking 4 at the blue line) on an Olympic sheet of ice, 15 feet wider.
              Maybe Blais can recruit a few more 6'8" guys.

From what I remember Blais also has a set play he runs a couple times a game where a guy off the bench goes Cherry Picking/ Suck hole(deep behind the D) for a long stretch pass and a one on none( designed for an Ortega or Guentzel player with speed). We got burned by it against QU earlier this year. Coaches use it when they see the other team start taking chances and activating their D in the offense to try and tie it up.
              So yeah, throw out Corsi and look at prime scoring chances. The Wild lived on it with Lemair.
              Last edited by hockeykrazy; 11-30-2015, 11:28 PM.

Comment

We find out whether we are "frauds" or not this weekend. There is enough to look at to be concerned.

UNO, despite being 11-2-1, has been outshot 466-392 so far this season. That gives UNO a Corsi number of 45.7%. Ugh.
                Not sure what to make of UNO this year either. Should make for an interesting series though. The one thing I really like about this SCSU team is their balance. We have the #3 offense in the nation but don't have a single player in the top 10 in scoring.
                "Today I do what you won't, so tomorrow I can do what you can't." - Unknown

Between autocorrect, touch typing and a lack of desire or time to proofread on the internet, there are likely errors in any text I post. If pointing these out will add to your sense of self worth and validate your life, knock yourself out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Bottles View Post
                  Not sure what to make of UNO this year either. Should make for an interesting series though. The one thing I really like about this SCSU team is their balance. We have the #3 offense in the nation but don't have a single player in the top 10 in scoring.
                  They have an NCAA leading 13 players averaging 0.5 PPG or more.
                  scsuhockey.com
                  CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

It'll be an interesting series from a special teams perspective. SCSU sucks on the penalty kill, but UNO sucks worse on the power play, so any man advantage situations for UNO will likely look like the intermission mites game. On the other hand SCSU is deadly on the power play, while UNO has been very good shorthanded, giving up only 7 or 8 power play goals all year, but scoring 5 shorthanded goals of their own.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      It'll be an interesting series from a special teams perspective. SCSU sucks on the penalty kill, but UNO sucks worse on the power play, so any man advantage situations for UNO will likely look like the intermission mites game. On the other hand SCSU is deadly on the power play, while UNO has been very good shorthanded, giving up only 7 or 8 power play goals all year, but scoring 5 shorthanded goals of their own.
                      Well, SCSU may suck on the PK but we have only been on the PK 36 times compared to 59 for UNO. We are probably going to be shorthanded a lot less than UNO will.
                      Originally posted by SJHovey
                      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                      Originally posted by Brenthoven
                      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

All I want is some/any points this weekend for UNO. I care about maintaining our Pairwise ranking. I don't really give two sh*ts about the conference race. I care about being in the hunt for NCAA championships. And, Pairwise is the easiest ticket to that, particularly because of the conference we play in. Kick butts out of conference (UNO is 8-0-0, currently) and play .500 or better in conference and you are in. Simple formula. If we make the tourney nearly every year and never win a conference championship that's a good trade as far as I am concerned.

Nice to see that our head coach thinks its an unfair advantage for teams that play on Olympic ice. Nothing like planting that seed in your team's head right before playing in just such a rink. Maybe he's trying reverse psychology?

Comment

Excited to have a 3 day weekend so I can at least watch on Friday and possibly Saturday too.
                          St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

All I want is some/any points this weekend for UNO. I care about maintaining our Pairwise ranking. I don't really give two sh*ts about the conference race. I care about being in the hunt for NCAA championships. And, Pairwise is the easiest ticket to that, particularly because of the conference we play in. Kick butts out of conference (UNO is 8-0-0, currently) and play .500 or better in conference and you are in. Simple formula. If we make the tourney nearly every year and never win a conference championship that's a good trade as far as I am concerned.

Nice to see that our head coach thinks its an unfair advantage for teams that play on Olympic ice. Nothing like planting that seed in your team's head right before playing in just such a rink. Maybe he's trying reverse psychology?
                            Olympic Ice, which both teams have to deal with, is an unfair advantage, but setting up your rink so the penalty box is next to the home team's bench and away teams have to wait for a whistle to get to/from the locker room isn't. D'ohkay...
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

It works both ways. We are at a disadvantage when we play other teams on the NHL sized rinks because we practice on Olympic size most of the time, both rinks are Olympic.

SCSU goes over to the MAC (Municipal Athletic Complex) in preparation for road NHL size games, probably only one or two practices in advance the week of.

I think there are plans to change the practice rink back down to a NHL size so they don't have to do that in the future with the next upgrade.

Western Michigan's success looks like it was predicated on getting the first goal on UNO. The only team all year to do it against them.

In all six games SCSU and UNO played last year the team that scored the first goal won the game.
                              Last edited by hockeykrazy; 12-04-2015, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeykrazy View Post
                                Chris Dilks also said Omaha is the worst team to watch when they get ahead- boring trap.

Basically calling it unwatchable garbage...
                                At 11-2....I don't mind being unwatchable.
                                If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Working...
                                X