PDA

View Full Version : Terrible Mariucci attendance

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Wisko McBadgerton
12-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Somehow they're louder than the real Gopher fans. :confused:

You're right! They do seem a bit more animated.

D2D
12-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Nice job selecting a picture of a game when they are down 6-2 in the last 3:35 of a game. While I don't agree with leaving before it's over, it does happen.

It is what it is. People buy season tickets on the hope that it will be a good season. They then decide if they will continue to show based on results. I don't agree with that either. Been attending games as a season ticket holder since 1998 and started selling half my tickets about 5 years ago because life changes... Bottom line, I will still go and support until I move away from Minny or I'm dead.
Totally with ya here, JoeGopher. Reading all the negative posts here on attendance, I wonder how many of these folks just observe and complain, as opposed to actually going to a game or two? :rolleyes:

Dirty Dream No. 2
12-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Traffic can be ridiculous and unpredictable for Gopher games since we're in a city with buildings taller than ten stories.

This is true but the games against St Clown and Friday didn't get much better 10 min into the second period.

I think at the end of the season there will be a material decrease in ticket revenue, and if they try to raise season ticket prices after many constant years, Mariucci will be brutal next year.

Absolutely

The Rube
12-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Totally with ya here, JoeGopher. Reading all the negative posts here on attendance, I wonder how many of these folks just observe and complain, as opposed to actually going to a game or two? :rolleyes:

Went to one game last year, against BSU. $30, and that was on the cheap side, for an SRO ticket. That's problem #1. Then you have parking. And food/drink (I was driving, so I took note of the latter) and I didn't buy ANYTHING at the arena. BOOM, $60-70 night. Not many can do that 2 nights/week for a whole season.

Stauber1
12-09-2015, 12:35 AM
Went to one game last year, against BSU. $30, and that was on the cheap side, for an SRO ticket. That's problem #1. Then you have parking. And food/drink (I was driving, so I took note of the latter) and I didn't buy ANYTHING at the arena. BOOM, $60-70 night. Not many can do that 2 nights/week for a whole season.

Yes and no. As previously discussed, if you are going in a group and want to all sit together (which is totally understandable depending on the circumstances) yes it is outrageously expensive.

If you are going by yourself or with 1 other, and you are content standing up top, you can get in the building for $10-$20 for almost all games. Parking can be had for $0-$5 depending on how far you are willing to walk. I did it for 6 years, never missing a game. If I spent $25+ on the night it was because the opponent was an incredibly high draw. The only games I pre-bought in that time period were for the last series against the Sioux before the breakup of the WCHA.

I boycotted last year (OK...I cheated for the MI series and 1 WI game) due to the ever rising, single-game face price. Even though I never paid face, it seemed the only recourse I had to make my voice heard. I would have hoped that would be the reason for the poor attendance this year (other people doing the same) but by all accounts the tickets are still being sold, just people aren't showing up. So I'm not sure how much the admin. will take notice, but judging by the fact that single game ticket prices were reduced about 2-3 weeks ago for the remainder of the season, they must be noticing something.

gopher wes
12-09-2015, 07:22 AM
Somehow they're louder than the real Gopher fans. :confused:
You take that back!

St. Clown
12-09-2015, 09:33 AM
This is true but the games against St Clown and Friday didn't get much better 10 min into the second period.

Absolutely
Nobody has ever paid to see me play a game, I can assure you of that. And if they did pay, they should ask for their money back or talk to the police about a scam artist working the local Twin Cities arenas.

Koho
12-09-2015, 07:58 PM
I don't think this is unique to Minnesota, however.

Seems to be a topic in BC thread, and they aren't exactly having a down year.

Biddco
12-09-2015, 08:59 PM
You take that back!

Never!

I couldn't believe what they are charging for their premium games, priced me out of the games. It was around 70 bucks for when UMD came to town. That's mindboggling high.

HumRsky
12-10-2015, 12:26 PM
St. Cloud State is, IMO, pricing people out as well. Other than promotions and the Family Four Pack, standard pricing is $25, $30, or $35 for the cheap seats, depending on the opponent. Back in the late '90s, during which the NCC got it's reputation and they'd cram 7,051 in there for Gopher and Sioux games, student prices existed and I was getting in the door for $10, maybe $8. Adult prices were $12-15, except for the Gopher games where all tickets were $20. I know there's been some inflation, but not to that degree.

St. Clown
12-10-2015, 01:10 PM
St. Cloud State is, IMO, pricing people out as well. Other than promotions and the Family Four Pack, standard pricing is $25, $30, or $35 for the cheap seats, depending on the opponent. Back in the late '90s, during which the NCC got it's reputation and they'd cram 7,051 in there for Gopher and Sioux games, student prices existed and I was getting in the door for $10, maybe $8. Adult prices were $12-15, except for the Gopher games where all tickets were $20. I know there's been some inflation, but not to that degree.

When did they start charging students? Or are you talking about non-SCSU students? When I was there, fall of '95 to spring of '99, all regular season games were free for students and $10-12 for the public. The only times the students had to pay was for a WCHA playoff series, and that was only $10.

HumRsky
12-10-2015, 06:43 PM
When did they start charging students? Or are you talking about non-SCSU students? When I was there, fall of '95 to spring of '99, all regular season games were free for students and $10-12 for the public. The only times the students had to pay was for a WCHA playoff series, and that was only $10.

Yes, I meant 18 and under non-SCSU students, as I was in high school when I attended Husky games most frequently ( I attended UMD). I understand that I was unclear about that.

UMICH
12-20-2015, 03:12 PM
...can't even blame an 80 y/o coach like Mich fan does.

smh...No one ever blames Coach Berenson. He is God-like, the issue of Michigan's minor attendence situation (it's not that bad) was that DB Dave Brandon. If he wouldn't have tampered with hockey there still would be a season ticket waiting list, but no he had to try and put corporate America in Yost. The interm AD hasn't done much with hockey as he has had bigger fish to fry. He got Harbaugh to Ann Arbor, that's more than we could ask for. The permanent AD, whoever that will be (my guess is Warde Manuel) better fix it though.

davyd83
12-20-2015, 10:45 PM
Remember the good ol' days when St Cloud, Mankato, Duluth & Bemidji used to come to Mariucci every year? How does Ohio St or Penn St stack up to those schools attendance wise?

davyd83
12-20-2015, 10:46 PM

They've got to pay for those extra flights somehow.

Fishman'81
12-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Every year, there's lots of competition for attention in the cities. All major pro sports, one of the biggest arts scene between the coasts and thousands of other events going on. The only potential city with the same distractions is Boston...and maybe Ann Arbor. And what percentage of Bostonians follow BC hockey?

This year the Gopher team is pretty bad. So its expected.

In the end, the Gophers year in and year out have quite possibly the largest televised audience in the nation and actively following fan base in the country...so its all good.

Yup.

The Twin Cities have a lot to offer, and if UM is having a down year, those other offerings are maybe more attractive. That, and the ticket prices, likely serve as a one-two punch when the Gophers aren't tearing-up the competition.

Empty corporate seats is an issue even with my local D-3 team. Nearly every game is sold out, but there're as many as 25-30% empty seats just the same on a given night. My idea would be to sell the unclaimed corporate seats for a very nominal price, and have the proceeds go to the company's designated charity... A win/win/win for every entity involved.