PDA

View Full Version : UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Snively65
12-01-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure "door" is technically correct. I'd refer to it more like a "crawl space". Be prepared to get dirty. :D

I will wear my foul weather gear, and a hard hat. :-)

all bear
12-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Ok, I have decided to see my first Alfond hockey game this weekend. Trust that tickets will be available at the door.

I'm sure you've heard over the years that Alfond is the pillar of college hockey atmospheres. You would have heard correctly, because it is. Nothing comes close. And they keep the trophy case and its contents nice and shiney. :D You will be bright eyed and bushy tailed in awe and amazement. But thats fine, we see it all the time. So try to remain calm and just take it all in. And while you're there, take the time to gawk at all the All Americans, Olympians (8 in one year alone) and National Champions. Truly the Mecca of hockey in the northeast. ;)

Snively65
12-01-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm sure you've heard over the years that Alfond is the pillar of college hockey atmospheres. You would have heard correctly, because it is. Nothing comes close. And they keep the trophy case and its contents nice and shiney. :D You will be bright eyed and bushy tailed in awe and amazement. But thats fine, we see it all the time. So try to remain calm and just take it all in. And while you're there, take the time to gawk at all the All Americans, Olympians (8 in one year alone) and National Champions. Truly the Mecca of hockey in the northeast. ;)

Oh, I have been to Alfond before, just not seen a hockey game there. But, thanks for the warning, as I will wear my dark glasses so that I do not get blinded by the shiny hardware.

Ditto for the Gutt, so maybe I will get there on January 2nd. That would leave only NICC for current HEA venues where I have not seen a game.

Ma#1ne Hky
12-02-2015, 01:36 AM
For a good chunk of the previous two decades, the HE "Big Four" was usually BU, BC, UMaine and UNH.

So far this decade, the HE "Big Four" has begun to morph into BU, BC, UMass-Lowell and Providence.

As much as we UNH'ers p!$$ & moan about our program's deterioration ... UMaine's deterioration has been even more precipitous - from the NCAA apex to lower depths of HE (sooner), to which UNH hasn't quite fallen (yet).

It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even :p ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.

I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so. There has always been BU-BC, and of course the Beanpot is a HE-heavy event that draws lots of attention every February, serving as a good warm-up for the HE Tourney. And if there was ever an event that rivaled a BC-BU Beanpot Final in terms of venue excitement, it was bringing in top notch UMaine and UNH teams to do battle with one/two of the Boston schools in the HE Semis/Finals. With all due respect to the Lowells and Providences of the world ... they haven't traveled in the same numbers to Boston as the UNH and UMaine contingents. And IMHO the league has lost a little of its regional profile as a result. :(True enough...both Teams when atop in Hockey East and sporting winning records had 2 of the best traveling teams fans in Hockey East and around College Hockey. That is no more though.

uncle_cliff
12-02-2015, 03:02 PM
For a good chunk of the previous two decades, the HE "Big Four" was usually BU, BC, UMaine and UNH.

So far this decade, the HE "Big Four" has begun to morph into BU, BC, UMass-Lowell and Providence.

As much as we UNH'ers p!$$ & moan about our program's deterioration ... UMaine's deterioration has been even more precipitous - from the NCAA apex to lower depths of HE (sooner), to which UNH hasn't quite fallen (yet).

It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even :p ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.

I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so. There has always been BU-BC, and of course the Beanpot is a HE-heavy event that draws lots of attention every February, serving as a good warm-up for the HE Tourney. And if there was ever an event that rivaled a BC-BU Beanpot Final in terms of venue excitement, it was bringing in top notch UMaine and UNH teams to do battle with one/two of the Boston schools in the HE Semis/Finals. With all due respect to the Lowells and Providences of the world ... they haven't traveled in the same numbers to Boston as the UNH and UMaine contingents. And IMHO the league has lost a little of its regional profile as a result. :(

Your observations are spot on, however I disagree with - or would like to quantify - your statement about Lowell and Providence. In the HE semis/finals that Lowell has been involved in, IMHO their fans have turned out in great numbers in Boston - especially in the Bazin era. Providence is historically a basketball school (which cannot be said for UNH or Maine), and fan attendance/travel/interest in hockey remains lukewarm at best, even with a recent national title and the accomplishments under Nate Leaman. This of course may change gradually as PC hockey continues its success. Finally, both are smaller schools with less of an established fan/alumni base than UNH or UMO. For a variety of factors, some of the HE programs have become more competitive than others, and I for one certainly welcome the new rivalries that have developed as a result. Regardless, I think HE's profile is defined by its overall success, regional or not, and nationally it has become the most dominant conference in college hockey.

Chuck Murray
12-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Your observations are spot on, however I disagree with - or would like to quantify - your statement about Lowell and Providence. In the HE semis/finals that Lowell has been involved in, IMHO their fans have turned out in great numbers in Boston - especially in the Bazin era. Providence is historically a basketball school (which cannot be said for UNH or Maine), and fan attendance/travel/interest in hockey remains lukewarm at best, even with a recent national title and the accomplishments under Nate Leaman. This of course may change gradually as PC hockey continues its success. Finally, both are smaller schools with less of an established fan/alumni base than UNH or UMO. For a variety of factors, some of the HE programs have become more competitive than others, and I for one certainly welcome the new rivalries that have developed as a result. Regardless, I think HE's profile is defined by its overall success, regional or not, and nationally it has become the most dominant conference in college hockey.

Good post which raises a fair number of accurate points. Just want to talk further about the last bit ...

I guess "profile" is what you make of it, but at least to me, my point is that Hockey East had (and still has) the potential to be more than just the best/most successful conference in what (unfortunately) is still viewed as a niche sport by most fans. Where else in D-1 college sports do you have SO many teams in such a relatively tight, compact geographical area? With so many natural rivals playing just a short drive away from the other guy's barn? Keep in mind ... 5 of the schools are basically on or within the 495 belt, two others (PC and UNH) are close, UConn and UMass-Amherst are maybe an hour beyond (give or take?), and that leaves you with UMaine and UVM, which are all of four (4) hours away from Boston apiece. If I've left anyone out :confused: ... it's not that important, and that too shall pass soon enough. :D

Can you imagine if this situation existed in football or (especially) hoops?? It doesn't, because the various programs compete at different levels, and also sometimes in different leagues where they are at the same level in those sports. But we have that in college hockey ... and instead of really trying to exploit it and make a run at filling decent-sized buildings during the cold winter months - supplementing it with a viable TV contract that is beyond a nominal deal that NESN has given them forever - Hockey East just sits back, and allows itself to play second fiddle to ... well, a long line of less-than-compelling things not limited to local college hoops and minor league hockey. And even minor league hockey fails (Lowell) or drops to goon league level (Manchester), the schools that should benefit don't seem to notice.

So the whole "profile" thing to me is just about a potential that's not been fulfilled. Hockey East is sitting on a potential goldmine, but the league and its member schools don't seem interested in exploring those possibilities.

Maybe with the changing of the times, and the prominence of social media these days, that's an opportunity that's possibly been lost forever (or at least until folks rediscover the magic of live competitive sports). Probably a discussion for another day, but I think we were just comparing apples to oranges in our respective uses of the term "profile".

walrus
12-02-2015, 05:32 PM
It's toys for tots night so bring a toy if you can.

wildcatdc
12-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Good post which raises a fair number of accurate points. Just want to talk further about the last bit ...

I guess "profile" is what you make of it, but at least to me, my point is that Hockey East had (and still has) the potential to be more than just the best/most successful conference in what (unfortunately) is still viewed as a niche sport by most fans. Where else in D-1 college sports do you have SO many teams in such a relatively tight, compact geographical area? With so many natural rivals playing just a short drive away from the other guy's barn? Keep in mind ... 5 of the schools are basically on or within the 495 belt, two others (PC and UNH) are close, UConn and UMass-Amherst are maybe an hour beyond (give or take?), and that leaves you with UMaine and UVM, which are all of four (4) hours away from Boston apiece. If I've left anyone out :confused: ... it's not that important, and that too shall pass soon enough. :D

Can you imagine if this situation existed in football or (especially) hoops?? It doesn't, because the various programs compete at different levels, and also sometimes in different leagues where they are at the same level in those sports. But we have that in college hockey ... and instead of really trying to exploit it and make a run at filling decent-sized buildings during the cold winter months - supplementing it with a viable TV contract that is beyond a nominal deal that NESN has given them forever - Hockey East just sits back, and allows itself to play second fiddle to ... well, a long line of less-than-compelling things not limited to local college hoops and minor league hockey. And even minor league hockey fails (Lowell) or drops to goon league level (Manchester), the schools that should benefit don't seem to notice.

So the whole "profile" thing to me is just about a potential that's not been fulfilled. Hockey East is sitting on a potential goldmine, but the league and its member schools don't seem interested in exploring those possibilities.

Maybe with the changing of the times, and the prominence of social media these days, that's an opportunity that's possibly been lost forever (or at least until folks rediscover the magic of live competitive sports). Probably a discussion for another day, but I think we were just comparing apples to oranges in our respective uses of the term "profile".

Agreed on the profile point, Chuck. If this was a business, (and it kinda is),the HEA member schools would be the primary beneficiaries of the brand-busting decisions made by their competition (the former incarnations of the WCHA and the CCHA). I can only assume that in the long term, the B1G will benefit from the realignment. But from a PROFILE perspective, breaking up two historic conferences benefited the HEA more than anybody. But I've yet to see the league build on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to "gain mind share". (Sorry for the mercenary tone).

Before moving south for a few years, I spent 50% of my life in WCHA land, (working less than two miles from WCHA HQ in Edina), and I will tell you that as much as we in the HEA support our teams, there simply was no comparison. The leagues operated on entirely different levels, and now, individual schools (the Gophs, NoDak, etc.), show what it means to attract and retain the casual fan, through thick and thin.

So yes, we (except for we UNHers) have our hardware. And we have the respect from a performance perspective. But when I can walk down Hennepin Avenue in the middle of July and see 3 people wearing Gophs hockey t-shirts within 2 blocks, it's pretty clear that we have not converted on-ice success into more broad-based popular acknowledgement and support in the same way our upper-Midwest brethren have.

Chuck Murray
12-02-2015, 07:20 PM
It's toys for tots night so bring a toy if you can.

I know you guys have (mostly) moved on from those 25 yr. old French-Canadians that Walshy/Standbrook used to love so much, but this seems to be a little bit too much of an overcorrection, don't you think??

walrus
12-02-2015, 07:23 PM
I know you guys have (mostly) moved on from those 25 yr. old French-Canadians that Walshy/Standbrook used to love so much, but this seems to be a little bit too much of an overcorrection, don't you think??

Toys for tots is pretty good charity. Instead of your donation going to "overhead" most of it goes to the kids. I think it's over 95%

sonar
12-02-2015, 07:52 PM
Toys for tots is pretty good charity. Instead of your donation going to "overhead" most of it goes to the kids. I think it's over 95%

I agree it is a good charity program. I hope some of those toys make it up to the County. "Things" were better a long time ago when I grew up there .... but it is now difficult in many ways .... good people though.

e.cat
12-02-2015, 07:56 PM

So it's toys for tots night and that is a good thing. If I was going I'd bring a toy but I'm going to watch on FCS. Anyway, where is your sidekick these days? I don't remember his handle but he was the one that used to butcher the English language but in a very funny way. Is he is okay? Or is he still on the scene but just lurking in the shadows? Just curious.

Verkligen
12-02-2015, 08:36 PM
I will wear my foul weather gear, and a hard hat. :-)

My first (and last) trip to Alfond was marked by a Maine fans spitting chewed popcorn on me... Repeatedly. Surprisingly when I turned around to look where such crap was coming from, I didn't see camouflage. The spitters turned out to be a Grandma-Grandkid duo having a night out on the town in Orono. Good times.

BRING FOUL WEATHER GEAR!

Snively65
12-03-2015, 01:26 AM
UNH #8 SMT vs UMO #57 SMT.

walrus
12-03-2015, 05:02 AM
I agree it is a good charity program. I hope some of those toys make it up to the County. "Things" were better a long time ago when I grew up there .... but it is now difficult in many ways .... good people though.

There is about 12 kids left in the county, everyone has left.

Chuck Murray
12-03-2015, 07:27 AM
UNH #8 SMT vs UMO #57 SMT.

At least that hasn't changed. :D

Good luck with the Toys for Tots drive, wally. You know I was just funnin' ya ...

Scott
12-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Game Predictions:

Friday - Maine, 4-2
Saturday - UNH, 5-3, with ENG

HockeyRef
12-03-2015, 06:58 PM
UNH on the way to Maine to hopefully open a can of whoop a** ��
Coaches talk about the rivalry:
http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015/12/3/blog_1203150855.aspx

HockeyRef's bold game predicts:

Friday: UNH 4-UMaine 2
Saturday: UNH 3-Maine 1

Snively65
12-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Picked up a couple of toys for my trip to Alfond. Friend in Orono getting us tickets. I also will bring some IPAs for before and after the game.

HockeyRef
12-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Picked up a couple of toys for my trip to Alfond. Friend in Orono getting us tickets. I also will bring some IPAs for before and after the game.

Aww you're a good sport! Coming back for the game on Sat? Came soooo close to re considering going but not happening have a great time! Go 'Cats!