PDA

View Full Version : UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Chuck Murray
12-01-2015, 09:50 AM
The funny part is we all WISHED it could be like the years past, where BOTH teams were fighting for a Top 4 spot in Hockey East and were in the Top 10 Rankings each week...and were mentioned as possible Frozen 4 Teams in the spring. Now 20 win seasons are a distant memory and fighting for 8th through 12th is the norm.

For a good chunk of the previous two decades, the HE "Big Four" was usually BU, BC, UMaine and UNH.

So far this decade, the HE "Big Four" has begun to morph into BU, BC, UMass-Lowell and Providence.

As much as we UNH'ers p!$$ & moan about our program's deterioration ... UMaine's deterioration has been even more precipitous - from the NCAA apex to lower depths of HE (sooner), to which UNH hasn't quite fallen (yet).

It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even :p ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.

I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so. There has always been BU-BC, and of course the Beanpot is a HE-heavy event that draws lots of attention every February, serving as a good warm-up for the HE Tourney. And if there was ever an event that rivaled a BC-BU Beanpot Final in terms of venue excitement, it was bringing in top notch UMaine and UNH teams to do battle with one/two of the Boston schools in the HE Semis/Finals. With all due respect to the Lowells and Providences of the world ... they haven't traveled in the same numbers to Boston as the UNH and UMaine contingents. And IMHO the league has lost a little of its regional profile as a result. :(

Dan
12-01-2015, 10:19 AM
It's times like these when having a couple of NCAA trophies (one without an *asterisk even :p ) in Alfond's trophy case can at least allow fans to recall happier days when things were (much) different.

I suppose, though they sure are getting awfully dusty...

I'm not sure Hockey East has ever enjoyed such a high profile, non-Boston rivalry since the heady days of the UMaine-UNH rivalry, which has gradually lost its prestige over the last decade or so.

The 1998-1999 season sure was a long time ago...

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/unh/sched99.php

11/27/98 - Maine 4-3 (Ben Guite attempts to decapitate Mark Mowers) - @ Whittemore Center
02/07/99 - Maine 4-3 - @ Alfond Arena
03/05-06/99 - UNH 6-1, 4-1 (In a legitimate 'White Out' and one of the absolute best sporting atmospheres I've ever experienced, as UNH captured the HE Regular Season title) - @ Whittemore Center

As far as I can tell, they only played those four times that season. I certainly can't recall any meetings in April...???

theprofromdover
12-01-2015, 10:22 AM
Why not in the case, there is plenty of room

Must spread rep...

wildcatdc
12-01-2015, 11:04 AM

11/27/98 - Maine 4-3 (Ben Guite attempts to decapitate Mark Mowers) - @ Whittemore Center
03/05-06/99 - UNH 6-1, 4-1 (In a legitimate 'White Out' and one of the absolute best sporting atmospheres I've ever experienced, as UNH captured the HE Regular Season title) - @ Whittemore Center

As far as I can tell, they only played those four times that season. I certainly can't recall any meetings in April...???

F$&@ing Gustafsson.

umhockey91
12-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Maine will sweep this weekend. You heard it here first.

wildcatdc
12-01-2015, 11:48 AM

I think that's a stretch, but I will say that the way our blue liners and Tirone are playing, and the lack of a serviceable 2nd line for us, make a 3-point weekend more likely for Maine than UNH. That stated I see us splitting the weekend. You blow us out in Orono, we claw our way to a win on the backs of TK and Pots in 'Tron-land.

HockeyRef
12-01-2015, 12:08 PM

If Maine sweeps the weekend, we are in bigger trouble than we thought...:eek:

I see one tight games, Maine winning in the "Old Girl" (I know you guys HATE that phrase when it comes to the Alfond) 4-3 and UNH winning decisively 4-1 at the 'Whitt...

Chuck Murray
12-01-2015, 12:32 PM

Only inaccuracy of your '98/'99 timeline was Guite's cheap shot incident occurred in the previous season (Mowers was a senior in '97/'98) in the finals of the late, lamented Governors Cup tourney. I went to look it up to make sure, and fondly remembered how that game turned out. THIS was truly the stuff that used to make UNH perennial "Champions of December"!!:

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/1997/12/01/umaine-plagued-by-inconsistency/

Hang a banner already, ferchrissakes!! :mad: ;)

Dan
12-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Only inaccuracy of your '98/'99 timeline was Guite's cheap shot incident occurred in the previous season (Mowers was a senior in '97/'98) in the finals of the late, lamented Governors Cup tourney. I went to look it up to make sure, and fondly remembered how that game turned out. THIS was truly the stuff that used to make UNH perennial "Champions of December"!!:

http://archive.bangordailynews.com/1997/12/01/umaine-plagued-by-inconsistency/

Hang a banner already, ferchrissakes!! :mad: ;)

Of course! Can't believe I mixed that up - if only Mowers was on the 98-99 team (or 97-98 Governors Cup MVP Derek Bekar!!)...

Chuck Murray
12-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Of course! Can't believe I mixed that up - if only Mowers was on the 98-99 team (or 97-98 Governors Cup MVP Derek Bekar!!)...

Bekar had the eligibility to stick around, too (like classmate Krog). Another tantalizing "What if ... ?" :(

HockeyRef
12-01-2015, 02:55 PM
just wanted to interject that while I have nothing of real value to offer in the current discussion would just like to ask...who named your mascot "Bananas"?!?!

all bear
12-01-2015, 03:07 PM

I'll take an old dusty trophy case with something in it over a non existent trophy case any day of the week and twice on Sunday :D

all bear
12-01-2015, 03:08 PM
just wanted to interject that while I have nothing of real value to offer in the current discussion would just like to ask...who named your mascot "Bananas"?!?!

Blinky the chimp named him
I don't know but bananas has morphed into a stupid looking scary bear nowadays...senseless as far as I can tell

Donald Trumph
12-01-2015, 03:27 PM
I'll take an old dusty trophy case with something in it over a non existent trophy case any day of the week and twice on Sunday :D

Those nine straight losses must have been painful to suffer through but you guys are on a roll now with four straight wins. Maybe you can add to that dusty old trophy case in April!

wildcatdc
12-01-2015, 03:31 PM

We, being the rugged individualists from the Granite State, do not subscribe to the current "trophies for all" zeitgeist, and therefore do not rely on such artificial stadium adornments to derive our self-esteem.

If you wish to bring pleasure upon yourself by ogling metal figurines atop wooden and marble bases, by all means, do so. We find such behavior a bit juvenile and base, to be honest - maybe borderline creepy.

Snively65
12-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Ok, I have decided to see my first Alfond hockey game this weekend. Trust that tickets will be available at the door.

e.cat
12-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Those nine straight losses must have been painful to suffer through but you guys are on a roll now with four straight wins. Maybe you can add to that dusty old trophy case in April!

You're a chump Trumph but good point/s! BTW, do you really think you're going to win the NH Primary?

HockeyRef
12-01-2015, 04:16 PM
We, being the rugged individualists from the Granite State, do not subscribe to the current "trophies for all" zeitgeist, and therefore do not rely on such artificial stadium adornments to derive our self-esteem.

If you wish to bring pleasure upon yourself by ogling metal figurines atop wooden and marble bases, by all means, do so. We find such behavior a bit juvenile and base, to be honest - maybe borderline creepy.

Trophies? We don't need no stinkin' trophies!! :p

all bear
12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Trophies? We don't need no stinkin' trophies!! :p

You need something there Pom Pom girl

Chuck Murray
12-01-2015, 07:19 PM
Ok, I have decided to see my first Alfond hockey game this weekend. Trust that tickets will be available at the door.

I'm not sure "door" is technically correct. I'd refer to it more like a "crawl space". Be prepared to get dirty. :D