No announcement yet.

UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Looking back at my visit to Alfond, some stats other than the usual SOG and SV that back up what I was watching: UMO attempted 92 shots vs 65 for UNH, but UNH blocked 27 shots vs UMO 16, so team helped Tirone more than I realized. Also, Smith outplayed Poturalski in the FO circle, 9-3 to 12-18.
    http://www.collegehockeynews.com/box...52016&gd=21841

Comment

• Re: UNH vs Maine , 12/4 & 12/5 - "The Wheels On The House Go 'Round And 'Round...."

Originally posted by all bear View Post
      I would say Chuck the 2000's were good if not great years for Maine hockey. We certainly were pounding hard on the door post Walshy for a few years if not nearly knocking it down. We certainly didn't embarrass ourselves in a couple of NC games. . Though I should in all fairness add that even mighty BU also embarrassed the league and themselves in 94. So don't take it too hard
      I've been over it for awhile now. Not sure UNH ever "embarrassed" themselves in the title games, but some of those semis (Michigan '98 and UMaine '02) I had to sit and squirm through were not pleasant.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I've been over it for awhile now. Not sure UNH ever "embarrassed" themselves in the title games, but some of those semis (Michigan '98 and UMaine '02) I had to sit and squirm through were not pleasant.
        Minnesota, cough cough

Or I should say Minnesota **ayers**beachball
        Last edited by all bear; 12-08-2015, 01:42 PM.
        sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by all bear View Post
          Minnesota, cough cough

I think that it was amazing that UNH held on as long as they did in the 2003 NC game.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Looking back at my visit to Alfond, some stats other than the usual SOG and SV that back up what I was watching: UMO attempted 92 shots vs 65 for UNH, but UNH blocked 27 shots vs UMO 16, so team helped Tirone more than I realized. Also, Smith outplayed Poturalski in the FO circle, 9-3 to 12-18.
            http://www.collegehockeynews.com/box...52016&gd=21841
            No TOI. Drat.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I remember a certain regional against Lake State as well.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                I remember a certain regional against Lake State as well.
                There were a whole host of regional *clusters*, not the least of which includes Niagara, RIT, Denver, etc. etc. etc.

Just to remind all bear ... UNH losing by 4 to Minnesota in '03 matches UMaine's 4 goal Finals loss to BU in '95.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  There were a whole host of regional *clusters*, not the least of which includes Niagara, RIT, Denver, etc. etc. etc.

Just to remind all bear ... UNH losing by 4 to Minnesota in '03 matches UMaine's 4 goal Finals loss to BU in '95.
                  My bad, that was the Denver game in 1995. A Denver team that Maine went on to beat the next night.

Yeah, but UHN hadn't played a 3ot game the day before. Maine hung with them for two periods, made it 3-2 early in the third, but once BU got that fourth goal, it was all over. Maine was just toasted.
                  Last edited by rufus; 12-08-2015, 06:48 PM.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                    Minnesota, cough cough

OK, just to make sure I was watching the same game (in person BTW) as you're referring to, I tracked down the game video showing all the goals. Link provided below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja7Ni6JJddQ

Game tied 1-1 almost midway into the 3rd period, when Vanek abuses Mick "Snow Angel" Mounsey on an odd-man rush, circles Ayers for the finish. 2-1. Next goal, Waibel (?) walks unopposed into the slot to beat Ayers top corner. 3-1. Final non-ENG, UNH trying to kill a Minnesota PP, Tallackson (?) left alone at the far post to stuff in a one-timer. 4-1. Empty net goal. 5-1.

If someone's got a "beach ball" in there, I'm obviously missing it. If we want to be critical - and seeing Ayers' venting during a timeout at the UNH bench kind of says it all - we can lay most (if not all) of it on UNH's inability to defend in key situations.

If there WAS a soft goal in that entire video, it was Vanek's two goals (including the OT GWG) in the semis against Michigan. But it also reminds me how dominant Vanek was that weekend in Buffalo.

Now if we're talking about the '02 semis vs. UMaine at St. Paul, my recollection is there was plenty of no-show players skating for UNH on that occasion. But let's bury the silliness that is Ayers supposedly hacking up a furball in '03.

Comment

Much the way I remember the 2003 NC game in person also. Moreover, Umile essentially had his centers playing back with the D-men whenever Vanek was on the ice, which worked for almost 50 minutes.

Comment

Much the way I remember the 2003 NC game in person also. Moreover, Umile essentially had his centers playing back with the D-men whenever Vanek was on the ice, which worked for almost 50 minutes.
                        Unfortunately, "almost" is a word that appears WAY too often in the big-game history of UNH Hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          haha You're killing me man! Yes I am a wuss And who knows...I might still go. Knowing me, it's still an option! What's that old saying of one of the UNH greats, maybe Lanny Gare (sp) "I'd rather be stabbed in Lowell than to play hockey in Maine"? Seems fittin'. The stories that place could tell...sigh...
                          Just reviewing this thread. Another favorite Lanny Gare quote during his senior year before his separated shoulder that may have cost us the NC in 2003: "Either the courses are getting harder or I am getting dumber." I loved the way that he was on the ice in his civvies during practice rallying the team in Buffalo.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 12-09-2015, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Bump, for the games on the 29th and 30th. Can one just show up for the game at the Portland Civic Center and expect to get a ticket?

Comment

Bump, for the games on the 29th and 30th. Can one just show up for the game at the Portland Civic Center and expect to get a ticket?
                              I left a pair of tickets for that game in my car...somebody broke in and left two more
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I could be wrong but last year, this game was close to being sold out up in Portland...not so much at the Verizon, as one would expect...I mean, they aren't even having a UNH reception in ManchVegas and they are in Pland???
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X