Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    ECAC non-scholarship rules are sort of double edged. There is some disadvantage for certain players not getting a full ride. On the other hand any player who's family income is a few points outside the top 10% can get virtually free tuition. (and preferred admission.) And there's no (18) limit on it. They can bring in 30 middle class Canadians and give them all the same deal. It cuts both ways.

I was sort of up in the air about this rule, but as more factual information has come out I find myself coming down on the side of it probably being ok. Oddly, I'm certain that others have come to completely the opposite conclusion. That's ok.

It occurred to me today that UW and MTU will both be getting older players with 3 years of remaining eligibility next year. Dan Labonsky and Keegan Ford respectively. I suspect both programs are happy to have them.
    By my best there are 32 players currently on D1 rosters that had similar circumstances to Labonsky and Ford.

Side Note: I'd be very interested on getting Keegan Ford's thoughts on leaving Wisconsin, returning to Junior Hockey, committing MTU and when he gets there, one of the assistants (Shuchuk), will be a coach he left at Wisconsin.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      The biggest problem with arguing about scholarships playing a factor is that two of the previous national champions aren't allowed to give out scholarships at all. Not even sure why it's being brought into the discussion.
      Must be pretty easy for the coaches then. Not having to recruit and all.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        By my best there are 32 players currently on D1 rosters that had similar circumstances to Labonsky and Ford.

Side Note: I'd be very interested on getting Keegan Ford's thoughts on leaving Wisconsin, returning to Junior Hockey, committing MTU and when he gets there, one of the assistants (Shuchuk), will be a coach he left at Wisconsin.
        Ironically, another player touted in the Rigged Game article was RPI's Nick Bailen. He went to RPI under the same circumstances with only 3 years of eligibility left after leaving Bowling Green. Seemed to work out pretty well for both him and RPI.

My best guess is that Keegan was just in over his head maturity-wise to be able to handle the situation at UW last year. Players pretty much universally liked Schuey, so I'd be surprised if it was a problem. Besides Keegan's dad Pat and Schuchuk were team mates at Wisconsin so they've all known each other for quite some time. Keegan is very sound fundamentally and I think he'll do very well for you guys.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I'd put things at about 40 players that play in a game
          QB 1
          RB 3
          TE 3
          WR 5
          OL 6
          DL 8
          LB 6
          DB 6
          P/K 2
          therefore 85/40

40/19
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

A CHN article about coaches comments here: http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new..._in_on_big.php

And Notre Dame Coach Jeff Jackson explains his support here: http://collegeblog.weei.com/sports/c...imit-proposal/
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Well that was interesting. On the whole it doesn't seem all that great a move, especially with all the other issues. Maybe what they ought to do is have a big pow wow and make several changes at once. Like 2 more scholarships, lower the age, no recruiting below 15, whatever. Fix the gentleman's agreement that Harvard routinely violates, stuff like that.
              Oh wait.. they already do that...

I think the CHL issue is a big one, we have lost several top players from our state to the CHL in the past year.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Well that was interesting. On the whole it doesn't seem all that great a move, especially with all the other issues. Maybe what they ought to do is have a big pow wow and make several changes at once. Like 2 more scholarships, lower the age, no recruiting below 15, whatever. Fix the gentleman's agreement that Harvard routinely violates, stuff like that.

I think the CHL issue is a big one, we have lost several top players from our state to the CHL in the past year.
                The Connecticut coach is in favor of this because it will end stockpiling of recruits? Then why not propose that directly instead of proposing something which may have that as a side effect?

I agree that the CHL issue is one that really needs addressing.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I like the idea of making college hockey younger.... it's college hockey... you want just hockey, go find it somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

Harvard violates gentleman's agreements? Name examples.

Harvard has no LOIs and has a very stringent admissions process and so the coaches routinely poke and recruit against that.

Harvard has a lot of recruits, but that is because recruits don't sign up for Harvard....they sign up for the admissions process. I could give you a laundry list of high profile recruits that "pledged" Harvard only to end up at BU, Denver, and other schools because the academics never got to where they needed to be.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      Harvard violates gentleman's agreements? Name examples.

Harvard has no LOIs and has a very stringent admissions process and so the coaches routinely poke and recruit against that.

Harvard has a lot of recruits, but that is because recruits don't sign up for Harvard....they sign up for the admissions process. I could give you a laundry list of high profile recruits that "pledged" Harvard only to end up at BU, Denver, and other schools because the academics never got to where they needed to be.
                      Jake Olson
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm not sure I understand Jackson's/the nhl gm's argument. Essentially they're saying playing against better competition is bad because you can't put up the state lines in college that you can in the chl. On the other hand college hockey is now putting more kids in the nhl than ever before.

To me they just argued against themselves. College hockey is getting older and because of that it's "worse", but there are more players that we trust to play for our teams than we did when the players were younger. So which is it?

Don't get me wrong, there are compelling arguments on both sides. I'm just not sure using the nhl argument is a valid one.
                        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                          I like the idea of making college hockey younger.... it's college hockey... you want just hockey, go find it somewhere else.
                          Roughly 40% of college students are 25 and older - source.

In 2013, there were about 12.2 million college students under age 25 and 8.2 million students 25 years old and over. The numbers of younger and older students increased between 2000 and 2013
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The NHL has said for sometime that college hockey is too "old". Probably partly because statistically, the peak point production in the NHL comes at 25 years of age. What they'd like ideally is players graduating at 22-23 with 4 years of play and development in a top league like the NCAA. (Presumably in return the NCAA would want the NHL to promote fewer early departures.) But then guys older can play ECHL or AHL if they just need more time or work which would also help keep those leagues a touch younger. And it would probably get them another year or 3 out of good borderline players in the minors, rather then the 2-3 they get from the average 24 -25 year old. It's all good for the pros.

How much the NCAA should align with the NHL is a question, but obviously FB and BB have been very successful in aligning with the pros as far as growth and marketing go.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              The NHL has said for sometime that college hockey is too "old". Probably partly because statistically, the peak point production in the NHL comes at 25 years of age. What they'd like ideally is players graduating at 22-23 with 4 years of play and development in a top league like the NCAA. (Presumably in return the NCAA would want the NHL to promote fewer early departures.) But then guys older can play ECHL or AHL if they just need more time or work which would also help keep those leagues a touch younger. And it would probably get them another year or 3 out of good borderline players in the minors, rather then the 2-3 they get from the average 24 -25 year old. It's all good for the pros.

How much the NCAA should align with the NHL is a question, but obviously FB and BB have been very successful in aligning with the pros as far as growth and marketing go.
                              Of course that would be the perfect ideal for the nhl. But let's not accuse the nhl of being too forward thinking.

The argument to that, again, is the stats don't lie. There are more college players now than ever before. If the argument is that college is getting older and thas a negative, shouldn't the number of players from college actually be going down? It seems to me that if these older players are such a bad thing to the nhl, they would be taking less and less college players. If anything, it seems like older players are actually making the level of competition better and players in college are developing better. Of course all of that is presuming older players are really having as much of an affect as people are attempting to portray.

I'm still split on this. I understand what people are saying about limiting the age, but on the flip side, the stats don't seem to back them up. Are kids being pushed back? Yes. Is it happening as often as is being portrayed? I'm not so sure the numbers bear that out. The cynical side of me stI'll believes this is much more about stacking the deck than it is truly caring about the majority of kids.
                              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Jake Olson
                                So you are saying that Harvard staff definitively pursued Olson and not the other way around?

Harvard has acquired talent and lost talent due to the players having change of hearts (either about the school, a coaching change, or the fact that they were going to be parked in JRs for 1-2 years) . Some have even gone over to Yale and vice versa.

Anyone who believes that a 17-18 year old pledge (or even a 15-16 year old pledge) is made out of concrete either doesn't have children or is delusional.
                                Last edited by bothman; 12-11-2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X