Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    So theoretically you could solve the problem, which might or might not be a problem, by allowing 2 additional scholarships per year, and by adopting the rule and then red shirting the players, is that correct?
    I Realize this is a crummy solution as the players development would significantly slow down.. but for general discussion...
    yeah, you could do that.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Alright, here is all the data:
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Full list of all players currently on rosters including:
      League, Team, Name, Position, Class, Birthdate, Commit Date, Hometown, Height, Weight, Hand, Frosh Year, Senior Year, Age of Frosh Year (as 8/1), Days from commitment to first joining team (either 10/1 or 1/1 of the half-season they joined the team), State/Province, Country, Previous (Jr/Prep/HS) Team and League, Previous College (if applicable), First Name, Last Name
      Just reposting for visibility and wanted to say that 1.) This is pretty cool, and obviously a lot of work. Good job. And B.- For a guy in his basement without a shirt in December, you've done a nice job in moving this conversation along toward an evenhanded discussion of the actual merits, or lack there of, in this proposal. Thanks.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Just reposting for visibility and wanted to say that 1.) This is pretty cool, and obviously a lot of work. Good job. And B.- For a guy in his basement without a shirt in December, you've done a nice job in moving this conversation along toward an evenhanded discussion of the actual merits, or lack there of, in this proposal. Thanks.
        thanks on both, I'm trying very hard to take this issue on I ts merits.
        From conversations with parents and other family members, you have to be honest with yourself and look at the other side regardless of motives.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I think that you're right that things need to be more uniform, but I think there should be more for hockey, not less for all.
          Except that football is a head count sport and hockey is not. Football coaches would love to be able to recruit at less than a full scholarships.

Comment

Penn St. coach Guy Gadowski talks to Guy Flaming on the Pipeline Show about this proposal here: (starting around 8:25) https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/guy-gadowsky-dec1
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Penn St. coach Guy Gadowski talks to Guy Flaming on the Pipeline Show about this proposal here: (starting around 8:25) https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-show/guy-gadowsky-dec1
              One of the most unconvincing arguments which I have ever heard. The reason that Pac-10 and other power conference don't have hockey teams is because of 21-year old freshmen. Sure!.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                One of the most unconvincing arguments which I have ever heard. The reason that Pac-10 and other power conference don't have hockey teams is because of 21-year old freshmen. Sure!.
                Well, yes. Except that's not what he said. One of the things Guy pronounced Gai said to Guy pronounced Gee was that when they talk to university president types who may or may not know anything at all about college hockey, one of the issues that arises is that the age group is an outlier as compared to all other NCAA sports. It's unlike FB and BB which no doubt they are more familiar with. And apparently that meets with some resistance. Not that it is the "reason" the Pac-10 doesn't have college hockey.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Well, yes. Except that's not what he said. One of the things Guy pronounced Gai said to Guy pronounced Gee was that when they talk to university president types who may or may not know anything at all about college hockey, one of the issues that arises is that the age group is an outlier as compared to all other NCAA sports. It's unlike FB and BB which no doubt they are more familiar with. And apparently that meets with some resistance. Not that it is the "reason" the Pac-10 doesn't have college hockey.
                  Yes, that is exactly correct. I just left out the intermediate steps in the argument.

Not that I know anything about how university presidents think, but I suspect that how much it will cost is by far number one on the list. (The exception being RPI's current president who spends money which she doesn't have.) And I would think that fact that overall hockey players appear to do better academically than football and basketball players should greatly outweigh the age aspect or someone is a hypocrite.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

It couldn't POSSIBLY be because college administrators look at the bottom line and see hockey as a money pit, now...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Yes, that is exactly correct. I just left out the intermediate steps in the argument.

Not that I know anything about how university presidents think, but I suspect that how much it will cost is by far number one on the list. (The exception being RPI's current president who spends money which she doesn't have.) And I would think that fact that overall hockey players appear to do better academically than football and basketball players should greatly outweigh the age aspect or someone is a hypocrite.
                      I agree that money is the big obstacle, but in these ground work type discussions with large D-1 schools I would assume the vision would be to grow the sport in popularity etc. to where it is revenue producing, as it is at several schools. The money aspect is huge but not insurmountable or nobody would be in D-1 Hockey. (I'd also think Gadowsky is uniquely positioned to have insight into what it takes to start a program at a large P5 institution.) I don't doubt these other discussions take place and issues arise. He's saying it has. Maybe he's just making it up, I don't know.

I'm not aware that better academics have been shown to be tied to 21 year old Freshman more so than 20 yr old Freshman, but it could be I suppose. At UW, which probably skews younger historically, the entire team is generally far above average.

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      It couldn't POSSIBLY be because college administrators look at the bottom line and see hockey as a money pit, now...
                      All he said is it meets with resistance. Again, he didn't say it was THE REASON. I don't know why that's so hard to understand. Administrators are likely used to looking at 23 yr old 5th year seniors as the Old Men in the program, not RS sophomores. It doesn't seem surprising at all to me that it's of concern.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                        Exactly. And the same goes for football.
                        not even by a long shot. there may be an extra DB or 2. extra WR or RB who play a series or play to give a blow.

you are acting crazy to compare and claim a team shuffles in multiple QB C OT etc and there isn't a core 85% who play every down when they have the ball.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          not even by a long shot. there may be an extra DB or 2. extra WR or RB who play a series or play to give a blow.

you are acting crazy to compare and claim a team shuffles in multiple QB C OT etc and there isn't a core 85% who play every down when they have the ball.
                          I'd put things at about 40 players that play in a game
                          QB 1
                          RB 3
                          TE 3
                          WR 5
                          OL 6
                          DL 8
                          LB 6
                          DB 6
                          P/K 2

Comment

The biggest problem with arguing about scholarships playing a factor is that two of the previous national champions aren't allowed to give out scholarships at all. Not even sure why it's being brought into the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                              The biggest problem with arguing about scholarships playing a factor is that two of the previous national champions aren't allowed to give out ATHLETIC scholarships at all. Not even sure why it's being brought into the discussion.
                              FYP
                              That was definitely a tangent, but it is sort of related.

Comment

ECAC non-scholarship rules are sort of double edged. There is some disadvantage for certain players not getting a full ride. On the other hand any player who's family income is a few points outside the top 10% can get virtually free tuition. (and preferred admission.) And there's no (18) limit on it. They can bring in 30 middle class Canadians and give them all the same deal. It cuts both ways.

I was sort of up in the air about this rule, but as more factual information has come out I find myself coming down on the side of it probably being ok. Oddly, I'm certain that others have come to completely the opposite conclusion. That's ok.

It occurred to me today that UW and MTU will both be getting older players with 3 years of remaining eligibility next year. Dan Labonsky and Keegan Ford respectively. I suspect both programs are happy to have them.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X