New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Here's a different take on related issues from The Junior Hockey News: http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/?p=51180
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      And speaking of arrogance, how does it feel to be the spokesman for everyone who isn't a "big 10 loyalist"?
      I am not acting as a spokesman, just reading the responses in this thread.
      Originally posted by SJHovey
      Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
      Originally posted by Brenthoven
      We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Perhaps complaining about the opponent being older than you is a new University of Minnesota Athletics policy? Gopher basketball player, Joey King, after last night's game against Clemson: "They were a little bit older than us, more physical, a bigger team"
        Last edited by Dirty; 12-01-2015, 08:52 AM.
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

They're bigger, they're stronger, they're faster, they... have more facial hair.

Comment

Question for proposal supporters: If most schools are against it and the B1G is unanimously for it, why don't they just implement the rule at the conference level?
            scsuhockey.com
            CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
              Question for proposal supporters: If most schools are against it and the B1G is unanimously for it, why don't they just implement the rule at the conference level?
              It would truly be a credit to the league if they did that. The B1G says that younger players would reflect the average college student, which these players theoretically are (most are). The ECAC did this to its perceived detriment long ago with its refusal to permit athletic scholarships for member schools. In recent years and some of its member schools have clearly been able to overcome this hurdle and have yet to make any attempt at forcing the rest of college hockey to this same policy. It makes the ECAC all the more impressive and the B1G look all the more pathetic.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Here's the data I'm working from with a few minor edits since my last post.
                I'm through the Ms on comparing Heisenberg 2011-2015 to my current database to get dates of commitment
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  It would truly be a credit to the league if they did that. The B1G says that younger players would reflect the average college student, which these players theoretically are (most are). The ECAC did this to its perceived detriment long ago with its refusal to permit athletic scholarships for member schools. In recent years and some of its member schools have clearly been able to overcome this hurdle and have yet to make any attempt at forcing the rest of college hockey to this same policy. It makes the ECAC all the more impressive and the B1G look all the more pathetic.
                  The ECAC does not refuse to permit athletic scholarships for member schools - it is the Ivy League does this across the board in all sports. Clarkson, Colgate, Quinnipiac, St. Lawrence, and RPI all have athletic scholarships, Union is barred by the NCAA from offering athletic scholarships as a Division III school not grandfathered in 2004.
                  Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

And then there was Prop 65, looking to screw over RPI, CCT, SLU, CC, as well as JHU in lacrosse. Obviously the grandfathering with Prop 65-1 ended up coming into play, but this really isn't all that different of a situation.

BTW, Atlantic Hockey has the limit on scholarships above and beyond the NCAA limit, not the ECAC.
                    Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-01-2015, 10:40 AM.

Comment

So, dies anyone know the correct number of kids this would affect? According to some in this thread, its 100+ per class. According to Mike McMahon last week it is 25 per class or 100 total. I'm a bit confused on that.
                      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                        So, dies anyone know the correct number of kids this would affect? According to some in this thread, its 100+ per class. According to Mike McMahon last week it is 25 per class or 100 total. I'm a bit confused on that.
                        The problem is that without a ton of digging, its hard to know. Its not cut and dry by DOB, each case is specific to when they were supposed to graduate high school.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          If you think I am a "staunch" defender of Lucia, or of this proposal, you clearly have not been reading this thread (or any number of others over the years).

As to the question you posit, I assume you are working from Dan Myers' blog post.
                          I saw that as an arrogant, self-righteous personality getting fed up with being lectured to and giving a simple answer to what he perceived as a simple question.
                          Or in SS's words, he was being snide.

I'll keep saying it over, and over and over.....look at the data. The conferences that the Big 10 really would want to gain a leg up on are HE, the NCHC and the ECAC. The Big 10 has a higher percentage of its players who would be affected by this proposal than all 3 of those conferences.
                          If you're not a staunch defender then bravo to you - have you looked into an acting career?

So snide he said it twice... I'm not buying it.

Your protestation about the Big10 is a red herring. It's not about conference A vs. conference B - it's about haves vs. have nots. The marquee schools suck up all the 14-year-old blue chippers because they can. Only, it turns out that this strategy isn't completely successful because other schools can wait for some diamonds to emerge from the rough and thereby at least partially undermine that advantage. tDon cares as little about OSU and PSU as he does Union and Quinnipiac - if it helps UMinn and hurts all 4 of those programs, so much the better for him.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I don't know that I'm a supporter, but it's more based on the way in which the B1G has gone about it rather than that I think it has much to do with competitive advantage, or even that I think it would be particularly bad to skew younger rather than older in College Hockey. But there's nothing saying the B1G wouldn't do this if they fail to get it through the NCAA. Although I don't think it wouldn't change much. If they have success, which is likely, everyone would just say it's because they unfairly get all the young draft picks that whoever, doesn't or can't. If they have a losing season it would be because they can't recruit 21 year olds, which is also very probably not the cause. The result probably wouldn't be leading any change of policy in D-1 Hockey, which is what they're looking to do.

If you're thinking that ECAC players are (in general) paying their own tuition's, they're not. The Ivies and in this case the ECAC consists entirely of private schools that aren't bound by the same rules and accountability public schools are when it comes to admissions or handing out assistance. For example, my cousin was offered athletic scholarships elsewhere, but played football at Harvard on a full "academic" scholarship. I'm not sure the Ivies or the ECAC are leading anyone anywhere in that regard, as it seems much more a question of semantics, than non-scholarships.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              For example, my cousin was offered athletic scholarships elsewhere, but played football at Harvard on a full "academic" scholarship.
                              There's no such thing as an academic scholarship at Harvard (or any other Ivy). Financial assistance is based on need, and need alone. Now, you can be named as a "McBadgerton Scholar" or other such awards based on your merit, but to the extent that there is any assistance tied to that honor, the amount has to be based solely on need. If Bill Gates, Jr. cured cancer at age 11, solved World Peace at 16 and won Olympic gold medals at 18, he'd still pay full tuition at Harvard.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                                There's no such thing as an academic scholarship at Harvard (or any other Ivy). Financial assistance is based on need, and need alone. Now, you can be named as a "McBadgerton Scholar" or other such awards based on your merit, but to the extent that there is any assistance tied to that honor, the amount has to be based solely on need. If Bill Gates, Jr. cured cancer at age 11, solved World Peace at 16 and won Olympic gold medals at 18, he'd still pay full tuition at Harvard.
                                Yes, I agree. I stated that poorly. My cousin paid virtually no tuition, because he met the fairly liberal requirements to do so. If your parents are making a million a year, you're paying the full way yourself. But I think in those cases the scholarships are obviously quite a bit less important anyway.

Edit: Just to clarify this a bit more, Ivies will generally match financial aid packages for athletes that Harvard, Princeton, or Yale offer. Currently at Princeton 120k/yr income or below and tuition is free as an example.
                                Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 12-01-2015, 11:42 AM.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X