Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tater View Post
    What constitutes "big?"

BU is a big school and a big hockey program. However, not a big D-1 overall athletic school.
    Look for FBS schools

B1G
    Notre Dame
    BC
    UConn?
    Miami??
    BGSU?????????? (this I doubt)
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Look for FBS schools

B1G
      Notre Dame
      BC
      UConn?
      Miami??
      Arizona State?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
        What a joke. Why should a kid that enrolls in school and has athletic eligibility be denied the chance to compete if he or she is qualified. I could care less if you are 16 or 40. BT needs to get over themselves. NCAA shouldn't even dignify this.
        The NCAA restricts age in all D-1 and D-2 sports. Waivers can be granted, of course, but eligibility begins to be affected the year after your high school class graduates. Hockey and Skiing currently allow for delayed enrollment until after your 21st birthday. In other words, Hockey has an exemption now to 21. Most all other sports don't.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          Do you guys not like capitalism, either? It will get shot down, but this is a business and you try to get ahead.
          Then pay the employees.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            Then pay the employees.
            If anyone is going to we'll be some of the first.

Comment

How soon before the D3s are kicked out of D1?
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Then pay the employees.
                They're getting paid, just not in cash.

Comment

Can't win on the ice, change the rules to suit yourself...not surprised.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    They're getting paid, just not in cash.
                    Save the semantics lesson for someone else. They aren't getting paid.
                    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

It's not a semantics lesson, it's a legal truth. I don't know what the adherence rate to the law is, but when you fill out a 1040 to file your taxes, there's a section about the dollar value of scholarships you've received. Not all players are on scholarship, so not all of them are being paid, but as we know, a number of them are.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Full disclosure...I am a BC fan. While I don't particularly love the idea of 21 year old freshmen etc my stance has softened on that over the years. First, Jerry York has had plenty of success nationally while almost always having the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the country. It hasn't prevented BC from winning and winning big. So even if BC voted for this, it makes sense to me that this was started by the Big Ten schools. Wisconsin stinks on ice, Minnesota hasn't won since 2003, Michigan last won in 1998, Michigan State has been an average program the last five years or so.

If you want/need older freshmen, bring it on. It really doesn't bother me that much at all. I may joke about it but I will never use it as an excuse when BC loses. Never.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          It's not a semantics lesson, it's a legal truth. I don't know what the adherence rate to the law is, but when you fill out a 1040 to file your taxes, there's a section about the dollar value of scholarships you've received. Not all players are on scholarship, so not all of them are being paid, but as we know, a number of them are.
                          Let's not get sidetracked from the topic of this thread, which is that Don Lucia is a crybaby beyotch.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Look for FBS schools

B1G
                            Notre Dame
                            BC
                            UConn?
                            Miami??
                            This list plus Western Michigan and Arizona State would be the "big name schools". But I have a hard time believing my school is on board with this. 6 years ago those older guys who saw us as their last chance to play hockey came in and worked their butts off to make this a program that kids now want to be a part of.
                            BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

You view a paid (or mostly paid) college education as nothing? If a guy gets an 80% ride at SCSU and stays 4 years, that's worth about $71K, it ain't nothing, and it ain't semantics.

Comment

By all means get rid of the overaged Canadian mercs.

I have no idea how Merrimack would field a team without them but I'm sure they'll figure out something.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X