Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New age restrictions for NCAA hockey

Originally posted by Stratus View Post
    Call me idealistic, but this is *college* and that ought to be one of the first concerns.
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Students playing college hockey at 25 and 26 are less likely to have an NHL career as a player. The kids who come into the NCAA at 18, 19 and 20 are more likely to get serious looks from scouts, if they've not already been drafted. The head scout for the Bluejackets said as much in an article about Duvie Westcott when he was leaving SCSU for the pros, saying that at 24 he was on the cusp of not getting any attention because he was so old to just then be entering their system.
      Statistically no doubt, but then there's the Andrew Hammond story. The classic late bloomer.
      There may not be a lot of them, but to personalize it--this change would hit guys like him.

oh, and Mike McMahon has a good piece up today:
      http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...n-legislation/

"What problem does this legislation solve? To me, programs recruiting 13-year-old players or unabashedly recruiting other committed players is a MUCH BIGGER issue than a 21-year-old freshman."
      Last edited by blackswampboy; 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM. Reason: added quote
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
        ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
        Funny! College sports>college

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          The list is growing every year as players develop at younger ages now than they did 20 years ago.
          Ryan
          The average age for NHL skaters today is about 27.5. In the 80's it was about 25. (with 9 less teams) So perhaps some individuals are developing more quickly, but as a group it doesn't seem that way.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            The average age for NHL skaters today is about 27.5. In the 80's it was about 25. (with 9 less teams) So perhaps some individuals are developing more quickly, but as a group it doesn't seem that way.
            Or players are just able to sustain longer careers due to better diet and training regimens. Looking at MLB, spring training was intended to get guys back into shape after they spent the offseason working in factories, stores, etc., but that's not the case anymore. As sports medicine and training progresses, guys with career longevity like Chelios won't likely become the norm, but they won't be quite so rare either.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Those of us who were against a Big 10 hockey conference all along are proven right every single day.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

It seems like this debate is starting to get to the heart of the matter. Disagree with me if you like, but it seems like a consensus has established that...

• It is clearly a selfish act meant to benefit higher-profile schools who tend to recruit high-profile, high-skill players. (The end result being that less skilled players will be brought in earlier and with less size/experience.) If we concede this point, then we can ignore the "benefit to the player" arguments as they become irrelevant.
                • It was an underhanded move utilizing privileged legislative rights to circumvent the will of the majority. As far as I know, nobody is debating this.
                • The NCAA is not a naturally democratic organization but rather an affiliation that favors big revenue schools. Smaller revenue schools should and can strive for power but should not pretend that they are equals in any way, shape, or form. (I take issue with this point, but I'll stipulate for the moment.)

What this boils down to is whether the policy is good or bad for the long term success of NCAA hockey. Success in this statement must be defined. To me, it means long term stability and/or growth. For stability and growth, I believe parity and exposure are important. Reducing parity is obviously the goal of the proposal. With less chance of success, popularity at smaller schools will decrease, hence decreasing interest. With fewer NCAA free agents making it to the NHL, exposure will decrease. Junior players without a spot on a D1 roster heading into their final year will skew towards the CHL or other minor professional leagues, thus decreasing the quality of the league as a whole and resulting in decreased interest.

I've seen some arguments for disparity being good for NCAA hockey, but I still find that logic faulty. IMHO, it's up to the proponents to either 1) Make the case that the policy is good for NCAA hockey; or 2) Admit that they care more about increasing the odds of their team to win a championship than improving NCAA hockey.
                scsuhockey.com
                CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                  I don't think UND would pass the institutional litmus test, sorry to burst your bubble. But if this idea actual gained traction (and it won't) and then somehow managed to work it's way through the bureaucracy (which it wouldn't) I don't think it would be too hard for the Big10 to find 2 schools to join them.

Sigh....why do I respond to Dirty...
                  You can have Notre Dame and UConn right now.

Quinnipiac and RPI we are prepared to expedite the application process, just sign here: ______________________ and all the rights and privileges of a member of Hockey East can be yours.
                  BS UMass Lowell 2015
                  PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                    It seems like this debate is starting to get to the heart of the matter. Disagree with me if you like, but it seems like a consensus has established that...

• It is clearly a selfish act meant to benefit higher-profile schools who tend to recruit high-profile, high-skill players. (The end result being that less skilled players will be brought in earlier and with less size/experience.) If we concede this point, then we can ignore the "benefit to the player" arguments as they become irrelevant.
                    • It was an underhanded move utilizing privileged legislative rights to circumvent the will of the majority. As far as I know, nobody is debating this.
                    • The NCAA is not a naturally democratic organization but rather an affiliation that favors big revenue schools. Smaller revenue schools should and can strive for power but should not pretend that they are equals in any way, shape, or form. (I take issue with this point, but I'll stipulate for the moment.)

What this boils down to is whether the policy is good or bad for the long term success of NCAA hockey. Success in this statement must be defined. To me, it means long term stability and/or growth. For stability and growth, I believe parity and exposure are important. Reducing parity is obviously the goal of the proposal. With less chance of success, popularity at smaller schools will decrease, hence decreasing interest. With fewer NCAA free agents making it to the NHL, exposure will decrease. Junior players without a spot on a D1 roster heading into their final year will skew towards the CHL or other minor professional leagues, thus decreasing the quality of the league as a whole and resulting in decreased interest.

I've seen some arguments for disparity being good for NCAA hockey, but I still find that logic faulty. IMHO, it's up to the proponents to either 1) Make the case that the policy is good for NCAA hockey; or 2) Admit that they care more about increasing the odds of their team to win a championship than improving NCAA hockey.
                    Very good post.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      The NCAA does not have to give an exception for someone to do philanthropic work. (although they may in some cases if they deem appropriate) The basis of this practice is nondiscrimination against an individual's religious creed, which is specifically spelled out in federal law. Individual Mormons, in this case, have a religious obligation to go on a mission. I have no idea if a case has ever been filed, but it's clear the NCAA would lose a discrimination suit if they withheld eligibility from a religious class or an individual on the basis of their religious obligations. Philanthropists are not protected in this manner.
                      Had the opportunity to work with a few BYU students my last couple summers and its not actually a religious obligation so to speak. The way it was explained to me was to receive what amounts to "in-state (read the church pays for most of their education at BYU) tuition" at BYU they need to go on a mission. Every one of them have raved about the experience. But I do not believe it is actually an obligation (not sure if BYU gives scholarships for athletics at all, maybe its linked that way?)
                      BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                        The only argument for the talent disparity being a good thing I have seen is that "name" schools attract a television audience that may not tune in for the rest of the schools in the country. TV $$$'s lead to more power schools adding, which grows the sport.
                        BS UMass Lowell 2015

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                          Had the opportunity to work with a few BYU students my last couple summers and its not actually a religious obligation so to speak. The way it was explained to me was to receive what amounts to "in-state (read the church pays for most of their education at BYU) tuition" at BYU they need to go on a mission. Every one of them have raved about the experience. But I do not believe it is actually an obligation (not sure if BYU gives scholarships for athletics at all, maybe its linked that way?)
                          It is not mandatory. Qualified individuals however, receive a "call to serve" from the LDS president, which is close enough legally.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I think it will be very interesting if this does go through, and in 10 years, these smaller schools are still winning and managing their rosters with these older players losing a year of eligibility based on age. What will the B1G do then?

Comment

without complete analysis of the players and their specific circumstances and complete knowledge of redshirt players here is what I have based on a cutoff date of 9/1 each year the WCHA has the following breakdown:

18 yo (12, 4.4%)
                              19 yo (46, 16.7%)
                              20 yo (113, 41.1%)
                              21 yo+ (104, 37.8%)
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                NCAA policy shouldn't be driven by whether or not one, or an extra handful of guys, make it to the NHL.
                                Nor should it be driven by a small minority of coaches using sleazy and underhanded tactics to get what they want, purely because it gives them a competitive advantage. But here we are.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X