Minnesota hosts SCSU: 11/27 & 11/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota hosts SCSU: 11/27 & 11/29

Minnesota (4-5) hosts St. Cloud State (9-3) this Friday and Sunday, both games start at 6pm, both games are on Fox Sports North. Minnesota just had a bye this past weekend and SCSU is coming off a split with North Dakota.

Go
    Originally posted by CavalryNate
    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
    sigpic

Re: Minnesota hosts SCSU: 11/27 & 11/29

A split would be a good result for MN. St. Cloud offense has been really good these past few weeks.

Comment

Did I see SUCS put up 6 on UND Saturday? Schierhorn better be on his game or the Cloudies could put up about 15 goals on the weekend.
      "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

It's weird seeing SCSU heading into a series with UMTC as the clear favorites. Things rarely turn out as expected, but I'm atypically optimistic.

My Breakdown
        • Schierhorn is fine and all, but Lindgren has the edge in net
        • Prow is the best defenseman in the series; However...
        • Brodzinski's ties to SCSU will light a fire under him
        • If Kloos is on, his line will determine the outcome this weekend

I'm sure there's lots of stuff going on for all of us this week, but this series is definitely what I'm most looking forward to.
        scsuhockey.com
        CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
          Did I see SUCS put up 6 on UND Saturday? Schierhorn better be on his game or the Cloudies could put up about 15 goals on the weekend.
          Well, the Huskies did put up sixteen against WMU just two weekends ago and then nine against UND this past weekend, so the Gophers are going to need to figure out their D in big, bad way. Without having cable, and only seeing game summaries, the Gophers feel a lot like WMU this season. With that said, I'm not expecting another sixteen goals by the Huskies this weekend, unless they completely quit on tDon the way WMU did during that Saturday game.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Not looking pretty for the Gophers this weekend.
            Originally posted by SJHovey
            Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
            Originally posted by Brenthoven
            We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
              Well, the Huskies did put up sixteen against WMU just two weekends ago and then nine against UND this past weekend, so the Gophers are going to need to figure out their D in big, bad way.
              I don't know if it's so much the defensemen as it is team defense in general. SCSU's top three lines are extremely balanced, so there's few options for opponents expecting their top two forward lines to score while hoping their bottom two lines just survive. The same goes for the third defensive pairing. Mismatches are going to happen. SCSU has an NCAA leading 13 players averaging 0.50 ppg or better.

That being said, the Gophers have talent up and down their roster, they just need to put it together. Otherwise, potential exists for a guy like Lettieri, C. Reilly, or Cammarata to get worked pretty hard. Those guys have top end skill, but they're typically not going to back check like the game hinges on their performance away from the puck (which it kind of does). If they can get motivated, no reason they can't compete player for player and line for line.
              scsuhockey.com
              CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Well, the Huskies did put up sixteen against WMU just two weekends ago and then nine against UND this past weekend, so the Gophers are going to need to figure out their D in big, bad way. Without having cable, and only seeing game summaries, the Gophers feel a lot like WMU this season. With that said, I'm not expecting another sixteen goals by the Huskies this weekend, unless they completely quit on tDon the way WMU did during that Saturday game.
                WMU is 17 positions higher than Minnesota in PWR. SUCS could easily put up 20-25 goals on the weekend. #bloodbath

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Exiled One View Post
                  I don't know if it's so much the defensemen as it is team defense in general. SCSU's top three lines are extremely balanced, so there's few options for opponents expecting their top two forward lines to score while hoping their bottom two lines just survive. The same goes for the third defensive pairing. Mismatches are going to happen. SCSU has an NCAA leading 13 players averaging 0.50 ppg or better.

That being said, the Gophers have talent up and down their roster, they just need to put it together. Otherwise, potential exists for a guy like Lettieri, C. Reilly, or Cammarata to get worked pretty hard. Those guys have top end skill, but they're typically not going to back check like the game hinges on their performance away from the puck (which it kind of does). If they can get motivated, no reason they can't compete player for player and line for line.
                  I did mean team D, not just the D-men. I attended a lot of Gopher games last season, and I can't tell you the number of times I saw Mike Reilly jump up in the play to create some fore check pressure only to have the Gophers give up a score on transition as, specifically, Kloos would get out muscled by the wing crashing the net. While a guy like Kloos is truly a great offensive talent - even better when he's bee paired with Cammarata - he either doesn't have the will or skill to handle the big wingers making hard moves to the net. I specifically remember two times it happened while I was at Mariucci, it also contributed to Wilcox's frustrations.

Do the Gophers have a lot of D jumping up in the offensive play this year? If so, look for the Huskies to make a lot of work on their transition, especially on a quick turnover, either getting odd-man rushes or forcing Gopher forwards to cover for their D-men who would be better suited in those rushes.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Do the Gophers have a lot of D jumping up in the offensive play this year?
                    Not this year, so far anyway. A different feel from our D compared to most years, maybe down the road Sadek (freshman right out of HS) will be the kind of D we are used to having.
                    Originally posted by CavalryNate
                    Disrespecting the Gophers is like disowning your mother the first time you get a girlfriend.
                    sigpic

Comment

The guys better win one or this season is going down the tubes quick.

Comment

Why am I an idiot for this post and who would tell me as such without making themselves known????

LOL!

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Why am I an idiot for this post and who would tell me as such without making themselves known????

LOL!
                          Why worry about it? People ding others around here because the of color of the sky outside. It's not like the reputation figures mean much of anything.

Comment

Why worry about it? People ding others around here because the of color of the sky outside. It's not like the reputation figures mean much of anything.
                            Not really worried, that's why I put the "LOL" at the end.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

LOL!
                              Did they say "you are idiot for this post", or did they call you an idiot and you are assuming it was only related to this post?
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Working...
                              X