Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nescac 2015-16

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
    Huh...from "technically unsound in all aspects of goaltending" with poor reflexes and reaction time......to this. An amazing coaching job, obviously, in fixing all of the young man's obvious flaws, and all done in less than 2 months!

Cronin has been great, and was again last night. One of the things that had been plaguing him early was that he wasn't making the "big stop", and he did that on several occasions last night, especially late in the 3rd when UNE was really pressing for the go-ahead goal.
    Euler18 is employed as a teacher and academic advisor at a D1 school in the Ocean State. He's had several nasty comments about the Bowdoin coaches, defensemen and goalies deleted. He changed his tune when I exposed him on this forum. He's a Brazilian Studies professor, academic advisor and expert on goaltending. He's a Bowdoin grad (71) and now feels obligated to praise the program. He'd hate to lose his lofty status among the Bowdoin alums so he's done a complete reversal. Unfortunately the moderator has deleted my previous posts concerning this and will likely delete this one. He's nothing more than a jock sniffing loser.

Comment

Originally posted by ColbyWMHB View Post
      Huh...from "technically unsound in all aspects of goaltending" with poor reflexes and reaction time......to this. An amazing coaching job, obviously, in fixing all of the young man's obvious flaws, and all done in less than 2 months!

Cronin has been great, and was again last night. One of the things that had been plaguing him early was that he wasn't making the "big stop", and he did that on several occasions last night, especially late in the 3rd when UNE was really pressing for the go-ahead goal.
      Peter Cronin's improvement in a short span of time was impossible to predict and has been a pleasant surprise for followers of the Polar Bears. No going down too soon (exposing the top third of the net); no leaving rebounds in front. Against Williams last night Cronin was in complete control, and made at least two saves that should rank as spectacular and game-saving, the best coming on an attempted wrap-around by a Williams forward. Cronin moved quickly from one side of the crease to the other to make the stop. He's giving the Polar Bears a chance to stay in games even when they're badly outshot, as in the third period of the game against Trinity (15-1).

The Polar Bears have reverted to the 2-2-1 system which they used in winning championships in 2011, 2013, and 2014. The system (basically three "backs" and two forwards) has allowed players like defensemen Mitch Barrington and Danny McMullan to become more involved in the offense, while also taking advantage of the defensive skills of forwards like Spencer Antunez and Camil Blanchett. The system causes an occasional problem during changes, but it's nice to watch when players are able to stick to it, like last night.

Comment

Well, that was interesting. Of the top four teams in NESCAC only one, Trinity, managed to win their quarterfinal.

#5 Middlebury, in their 11th(!) OT game of the season downs #4 Hamliton 2 - 1
        #6 Amherst defeats #3 Bowdoin 8 to 5. At the end of the 2nd the bears were leading 4 to 2. Amherst scored 6 in the 3rd.
        #7 Colby falls to the #2 Trinity 3 - 1
        #8 Tufts plays the spoiler for the second year in a row, defeating the #1 Williams team 2 - 1.

Comment

Middlebury showed a lot of heart in a season with so many ties, with a new coaching staff, to defeat Hamilton in OT. A team with so much depth and finally with most of their injured players back could be a serious contender for the NESCAC title. And Middlebury transfer Pulde seems to be thriving at Tufts now, knocking off the top seed again. I expect an exciting weekend!

Originally posted by tjoneslo View Post
          Well, that was interesting. Of the top four teams in NESCAC only one, Trinity, managed to win their quarterfinal.

#5 Middlebury, in their 11th(!) OT game of the season downs #4 Hamliton 2 - 1
          #6 Amherst defeats #3 Bowdoin 8 to 5. At the end of the 2nd the bears were leading 4 to 2. Amherst scored 6 in the 3rd.
          #7 Colby falls to the #2 Trinity 3 - 1
          #8 Tufts plays the spoiler for the second year in a row, defeating the #1 Williams team 2 - 1.

Comment

I think this will be a interesting weekend.

To do the prognostication thing:

I'll take Middlebury over Amherst, even though Amherst managed an 6 goal 3rd vs Bowdoin, Midd's defense has managed them twice this year.

Trinity over Tufts. Tufts has a much better team than their 8th place finish, but Trinity much stronger than their 2nd place finish.

In the final I think Trinity will take the game from Middlebury. Despite the (sort of) close games between the two , Trinity is still on a roll from their National Championship from last year.

Comment

I agree--this should be an interesting week-end. Tufts seems like a tenacious squad and cannot be taken lightly. I will pick Trinity by 1 goal. In the other contest I pick Amherst. It is extremely tough to sweep three games in the Nescac. I did not see the Amherst-Bowdoin game, but I think it more likely that the 6 goal outburst (OK, 5 goals plus an empty netter) in the third against the Polar Bears was more likely the result of a defensive breakdown rather than a sudden resurgence in offensive might from Amherst. This should be a close one also, with Trinity then winning the championship on Sunday.

Comment

Tufts manages to, despite being down by 3, score 3 goals in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd. The difference is the Jumbos take a penalty with 2 minutes left, and Trinity manage to get their third power play goal of the game. Tomorrow is Amherst vs Trinity.

Comment

Working...
                X