Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

OK, I'll start it! Catchy title, eh?

I wish I'd done this yesterday, so we didn't have to start this off right after the team laid a giant . . . well, let's say egg. Hats off to RPI's goalie, who was the #1 star of the game. He was put in a difficult spot and played great. Other than that, there aren't many nice things to say about the game. As Mike already said, these points could end up being important. There are a lot of good teams in our league, and everybody is going to pick up some Ls. We definitely can't expect the team to basically run the table on the Ivies like last year. Clarkson's next, and we all know the long-term history of THAT matchup. Then we get Quinnipiac, followed by a trip to Lynah and Starr, then Harvard and Clarkson again. The team could play significantly better than it did last night over that stretch, and still be in a pretty big hole when the calendar changes.

The good news is, I think everyone would agree that this team is easy to root for, and has already shown it's capable of lots of success in the ECAC and beyond. And what an offense. If the PP comes around . . .

Anyway, it's too bad to have this kind of lesson in league play, but at least it's early. Lots of great hockey and big wins are still out there. First things first: beat Clarkson!

Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Thank you for the new thread TimU! Don't think anyone could sum up our situation better than you just did.
    Last edited by saintsdad; 11-08-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      OK, I'll start it! Catchy title, eh?

I wish I'd done this yesterday, so we didn't have to start this off right after the team laid a giant . . . well, let's say egg. Hats off to RPI's goalie, who was the #1 star of the game. He was put in a difficult spot and played great. Other than that, there aren't many nice things to say about the game. As Mike already said, these points could end up being important. There are a lot of good teams in our league, and everybody is going to pick up some Ls. We definitely can't expect the team to basically run the table on the Ivies like last year. Clarkson's next, and we all know the long-term history of THAT matchup. Then we get Quinnipiac, followed by a trip to Lynah and Starr, then Harvard and Clarkson again. The team could play significantly better than it did last night over that stretch, and still be in a pretty big hole when the calendar changes.

The good news is, I think everyone would agree that this team is easy to root for, and has already shown it's capable of lots of success in the ECAC and beyond. And what an offense. If the PP comes around . . .

Anyway, it's too bad to have this kind of lesson in league play, but at least it's early. Lots of great hockey and big wins are still out there. First things first: beat Clarkson!
      Simple but perfect title TimU!

That lost definitely stunk! There are a lot of things that needs to be worked on from nearly every position, but there are also a lot of things to be excited about. You've well highlighted the negatives, some positives are the offense has continued to score goals. We skate hard, pass the puck well and (for the most part) have been capitalizing on our chances when we get them.

You're right, it is an extremely tough stretch of our schedule coming up. This is the start of the mid-point of the season where the past few years we have consistently hit a mid-season wall and started a losing streak. I really hope we can break that trend this season. This stretch is starting with our arch rival at home, which oddly enough is a team we have had little success against at our own home. The later part of that last sentence is incredibly frustrating so I hope a good week of practice will work out the kinks and we can be ready Friday for a very important game. We need to turn Appleton Arena into the house of horrors it used to be for Clarkson, so hopefully they will be well prepared and can bring the energy and effort needed to beat your rival. It's not always about X' and O's and position this and position that when you play a rivalry game. Sometimes pure effort and the ability to just want it a little more is the difference when you have a team like Clarkson who almost always manages to amp up their level of play significantly when they play us, especially in our own barn.
      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
        the offense has continued to score goals.
        And the goals we scored last night were works of art-especially Smolcynski's.

Comment

One of our old friends was given a great honor tonight. Congratulations Bob McKenzie.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/bob-mcke...n-award~745605
          SLU

Comment

This is one of the two (hopefully 3) weekends where we don't root for each other. The verbal jousting will be good natured and we'll be eating burgers together for the pregame

We'll be (t)ing it up in the chat room starting about 6:45 on Friday. As usual, if you're not at the game, you're welcome to stop in.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              This is one of the two (hopefully 3) weekends where we don't root for each other. The verbal jousting will be good natured and we'll be eating burgers together for the pregame

We'll be (t)ing it up in the chat room starting about 6:45 on Friday. As usual, if you're not at the game, you're welcome to stop in.
              Agreed! I am far from a Clarkson fan (obviously!) but I will very casually root for them to make Lake Placid this year just for the fun of the larger crowds and local support. I have met some extremely obnoxious Clarkson fans in years past, but also many decent people who are fun to talk to about the rivalry and they always manage to keep it good natured. Best of luck to you guys the rest of the season ... Immediately after we dispatch of you guys Friday night though of course!

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

Well, this is completely irrelevant to hockey, but I saw this article this morning about something that happened in the last SLU football game last week against Hobart. I guess the officiating was so bad that it cost us the game directly on the last play of the game when the winning touchdown was scored. The game plays video was sent to the league officials and the entire officiating staff was suspended for the remainder of the season. Also, they can't work another game that SLU is apart of for next season as well! Wow!!

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...video-20151112

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                  Well, this is completely irrelevant to hockey, but I saw this article this morning about something that happened in the last SLU football game last week against Hobart. I guess the officiating was so bad that it cost us the game directly on the last play of the game when the winning touchdown was scored. The game plays video was sent to the league officials and the entire officiating staff was suspended for the remainder of the season. Also, they can't work another game that SLU is apart of for next season as well! Wow!!

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/s...video-20151112
                  Interesting read regarding the football. It was very painful to listen to the end of that game; the loss made us 1-25 against Hobart since 1990.

On another note and recognizing that the number of games played is relatively small, incoming SLU goalie recruit Ryan Wischow is leading the entire USHL in GAA as of this writing. He plays for the Fargo Force, is 5-4-0, has played in 11 games with 1 shutout, and has a 1.85 GAA and a 0.929 save %. That's impressive.

This will make JOECCT laugh ..... Ryan's favorite food is hamburgers.

BEAT CLARKSON!
                  Last edited by Muskieman; 11-12-2015, 04:59 PM.
                  GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                    Interesting read regarding the football. It was very painful to listen to the end of that game; the loss made us 1-25 against Hobart since 1990.

On another note and recognizing that the number of games played is relatively small, incoming SLU goalie recruit Ryan Wischow is leading the entire USHL in GAA as of this writing. He plays for the Fargo Force, is 5-4-0, has played in 11 games with 1 shutout, and has a 1.85 GAA and a 0.929 save %. That's impressive.

This will make JOECCT laugh ..... Ryan's favorite food is hamburgers.

BEAT CLARKSON!
                    Wow, good to hear about the new goalie. We certainly won't be lacking in talented and capable goalies for the next few years, that's for sure!

Tonight's game is going to be one hell of a battle (it always is against Clarkson, regardless of our records at the time). I hope we can pull this one off as we need it. Plus, we more than owe them, that is for sure!

BEAT CLARKSON!!!

Comment

LGT LGT LGT
                      Last edited by vicb; 11-13-2015, 01:34 PM.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I'm guessing neither team feels like they brought their best game tonight, but SLU can feel great about this one. Battled hard, had a great PK, capitalized on limited chances, and finished strong. Good win against a good team. 2 huge points and a perfect response to last Saturday.

Speaking of which, check out what RPI did tonight. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            I'm guessing neither team feels like they brought their best game tonight, but SLU can feel great about this one. Battled hard, had a great PK, capitalized on limited chances, and finished strong. Good win against a good team. 2 huge points and a perfect response to last Saturday.

Speaking of which, check out what RPI did tonight. Again.
                            Outstanding defensive effort all around for the good guys tonight. Hayton had to stop a couple good chances for Clarkson, and the pipe helped on 1 or 2, but otherwise Clarkson never felt dangerous to me.

Fantastic response and statement, going to need to amplify that quite a bit for the game in Hamden next weekend though.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              LGT LGT LGT
                              Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Gotta say........between you two guys we could almost, (but not quite) feel some affinity for the team down the road. Only when you are not playing us however.
                              SLU

Comment

Working...
                              X