Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
    I go to box... I mean my safe space, and feel shame for 2 minutes.

If a college hockey website's posting board has ANY effect on ANY recruiting, we're better off regardless. That would have to be priority 862 on any recruits list for which school to select.
    That's why I went back and edited the post to say "potentially" because obviously all of the negatives could have zero impact on recruiting, who knows. However, this is 2016 and we have seen how social media has changed the way so many processes are conducted. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the impact social media can have. I mean, just look at the 2016 Presidential Race!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
      That's why I went back and edited the post to say "potentially" because obviously all of the negatives could have zero impact on recruiting, who knows. However, this is 2016 and we have seen how social media has changed the way so many processes are conducted. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to the impact social media can have. I mean, just look at the 2016 Presidential Race!
      But such and such recruit saw a half dozen people on an Internet message board say negative things, so it must be true! Abort abort abort!

I'll say it again, this forum will 99.9999999999% have absolutely zero influence on any future decisions by future recruits.

Comment

• From 3/29

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        Wild hare - Mark Morris.
        Nailed it.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          But such and such recruit saw a half dozen people on an Internet message board say negative things, so it must be true! Abort abort abort!

I'll say it again, this forum will 99.9999999999% have absolutely zero influence on any future decisions by future recruits.
          Fair enough ...

16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000

Comment

From 3/29

Nailed it.
            Nice catch! ... Now, can you predict who will win this coming years ECAC championship game? That would impress me even more!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
              Nice catch! ... Now, can you predict who will win this coming years ECAC championship game? That would impress me even more!
              You vs. Us. Packed house. Overtime.

Is there a vid link for the presser? I thought I saw one and now I can't seem to locate it. Thanks!
              Last edited by joecct; 05-03-2016, 02:44 PM.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Is there a vid link for the presser? I thought I saw one and now I can't seem to locate it. Thanks!
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

http://www.saintsathletics.com/sport...ouncement.aspx

Comment

Bless you. May the Canton McDonalds reopen soon.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Bless you. May the Canton McDonalds reopen soon.
                      Joe.....you make me laugh. I keep thinking I'm on Facebook and I'm looking for the LIKE button for your comment.

A very different press conference than that of Coach Carvel at UMass. No press present in the North Country??? No Q and A from anyone??? Wish they left the camera on to see him meeting with the team. My guess is that would be a far more interesting and telling meeting than watching the Announcement Conference. (Can't call it a Press Conference anymore if there were no press there!)

I made a mental note of all those faces from the "search committee"......gonna see if I can fit those faces on a dart board or something else appropriate. Wonder how much they really had to do with who was selected or if Morris was rammed through by Fox and Durocher??? I know the committee didn't get to see or interview some pretty good candidates who never had the chance to interview.

I hope Morris can win the current crop of players over.....and especially some of the highly touted recruits we have coming in. That more than anything will determine his success. With his NHL/AHL background.....he should have a good resume to attract and develop top talent. Sure hope so.
                      SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                        Joe.....you make me laugh. I keep thinking I'm on Facebook and I'm looking for the LIKE button for your comment.

A very different press conference than that of Coach Carvel at UMass. No press present in the North Country??? No Q and A from anyone??? Wish they left the camera on to see him meeting with the team. My guess is that would be a far more interesting and telling meeting than watching the Announcement Conference. (Can't call it a Press Conference anymore if there were no press there!)

I made a mental note of all those faces from the "search committee"......gonna see if I can fit those faces on a dart board or something else appropriate. Wonder how much they really had to do with who was selected or if Morris was rammed through by Fox and Durocher??? I know the committee didn't get to see or interview some pretty good candidates who never had the chance to interview.

I hope Morris can win the current crop of players over.....and especially some of the highly touted recruits we have coming in. That more than anything will determine his success. With his NHL/AHL background.....he should have a good resume to attract and develop top talent. Sure hope so.
                        Well, as I mentioned to you directly (just for a reference point for others who may have same question), to be fair it wasn't labeled as a press conference, simply an "announcement". I guess, if this was the only intro, I'm disappointed there is no press time or further Q/A session, but I'm not shocked that it wasn't included today.

MM said the right things, as you would expect. Now he has to live up to those words and ideas, and only time will tell.

Comment

Crit

The only local press would be Cap. Everybody else had a hike to Canton. However, I expect print interviews tomorrow (WDT) and later for the others (USCHO, CHN, etc.).

I think younhave a great coach who knows how to develop players. Also think about competition for the (scarce) North Country advertising dollar. I believe you guys just took the lead.

And those home games when the students are away? Locals should be coming to Canton.

Oh-I've been banned from the SLU FB page.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

So, here's my thoughts, now that I've had time to digest and think this over a bit (and have several discussions amongst others).

I'm still firmly in the "Don't HATE it, but certainly don't LOVE it" camp. It will likely take me atleast 2 years to come to a conclusion on that, even if SLU has a 25 win season next year, because there is much more to it than just wins. I think we can all agree that Coach Morris brings a very well established line of successful teams, he HAS won everywhere he has been a coach, including spanning different eras of hockey (90's NCAA, 00's to present AHL). He also brings a very good history of developing players, as evidenced by the Clarkson alumni that went on to be very fine professional players, as well as fine-tuning a fair number of players who contributed to the LA Kings championships recently. He also has a vast amount of connections to people in the professional ranks all over the country (world?). These are all very positive things for the program.

However, this hire does not come without fears, partially of what simply isn't known. One of my biggest fears is that the style of play that we will see at Appleton and abroad, is that of a "pro" boring/low-event style, not unlike what QU has shown in recent years. We have all grown accustomed to watching fast, clean and fun up-and-down hockey through Marsh and Carvel. It was an exciting brand of hockey, even with the frustrating stretches here and there. Some recruits with serious professional aspirations may be lured to this, as it will prepare them for what lies in the future hopefully.

I fully expect to see more winning seasons than losing seasons under Coach Morris. I'm eager to have those who are fully in love with this move right now to shout "I told you so!" to those of us that aren't fully convinced. I truly hope there is reason for all of us to celebrate in the coming years. One thing we'll never know, is if another canadidate would have the same/similar success in the coming years, both in record and recruits. As I mentioned to Tim, a monkey could probably churn out a winning season next year, with the very attractive core we have to look forward to. The expectations should still be sky high for the Saints in the next handful of years; hopefully we meet, and possibly exceed, them.

My last main fear is that SLU may suffer in recruiting, atleast in the beginning. I hope we hang on to all current recruits, although I won't be shocked if we lose 1 or 3 simply due to the coaching change. It's the nature of the beast. Morris will almost certainly find it's a vastly different landscape in junior hockey than the one he knew upon departing the college ranks. High quality players can be found in virtually any state now, playing all over the country. Sure, the assistant coaches do the heavy lifting here, but Morris will likely have to face his past head on while in talks with recruits and their families. This may be a deal breaker for some, some will give it very little consideration, but it's there.

Morris spoke in his announcement of really believing and understanding his job is more than that of a hockey coach. It also encompasses turning out high quality, well-rounded men at the conclusion of their collegiate career; teaching them to be more than a hockey player, preparing them for life after they are done lacing up the skates. This is also something we have grown accustomed to with Marsh and Carvel, and something that I really hope continues to be the case. Another situation of "only time will tell".

This isn't going to push me away from supporting SLU hockey, I still fully plan on traveling to Ireland in November for what may be my first look at this next chapter of the program. Just as our preferred presidential candidate may or may not be elected in November, we should push forward and support accordingly. 5 months (or so) until we see what this latest edition of Saints Hockey will bring us, and it will be here before we know it.

Comment

hockeyplayer1015, you're inside my head!

About a monkey-coachable season next year, though, I will say that I'm prepared for difficulties up front early in the season, as we're going to need several freshman forwards to come out of the gates at full gallop after the loss of several regulars.
                              Canton High School '76
                              SLU '81
                              KSLU game broadcasts '80-'81
                              SLU fan '63-infinity

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                                Here is my thoughts on this hire. Tremendous hire by SLU. Proven coach and winner who can recruit up in North Country. He may do things different than Carvel but he should get results. Morris wants to retire in this job in my view (give SLU 10-12 years of service). He's 58 now that will take him to 68 or 70. The other two candidates while they have good resumes may only have used SLU as a stepping stone to something bigger and this could be a big reason why Morris got the job along with having both pro and college experience.
                                I'd rather have Pecknold. Yes, I said it.
                                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X