St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by drewcu View Post
    Feel for Hurlbut, loyal guy and stayed on when Marsh handed the reigns to Carvel, however,he would be a fool to stay if he was over looked again.
    Here's the thing. It has been said he wasn't interested in taking over the reigns when Joe Marsh stepped aside, so is it fair to say he was "overlooked" then?

There's no saying that he is interested or not this go around. Time will tell.

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University Skating Saints - 2015-2016

The Sports Management program at UMASS, from which it's been reported that Carvel got a graduate degree, is a highly regarded program. Many of its most influential alumni are in professional sports. Moreover, a great many, if not most UMASS athletes are Sports Management Majors. Both the Chancellor and the President have made, in the past, comments around sports being the "front door" to the university. This may turn out to be a good fit and great career move for Carvel if he can build a support base outside of the athletic department into both faculty and alumni. They have got some good talent but may need some discipline. I would bet he makes his presence felt immediately and he knocks off some of the leagues primadonnas in his first year.
      Last edited by Dutchman; 03-30-2016, 06:05 AM.
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
        This SUCKS. Really bad for the program he was leading.

Mike Hurlbut is a terrific coach and he will almost certainly stay loyal to SLU. If he doesn't end up as HC, he'll be a great asset to whoever does, and he'll offer stability to present and committed players. We were obviously wrong about Greg, but the next great SLU coach is out there somewhere.
        So much for, in Greg's words, SLU being his dream job. Just show me the money and dreams vanish quickly.

Enough is enough.............between helmet goals and SLU unable to keep its coaches (see Mark Raymond as well), I need to stop being a sports fan. My heart doctor says so!
        GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
          So much for, in Greg's words, SLU being his dream job. Just show me the money and dreams vanish quickly.

Enough is enough.............between helmet goals and SLU unable to keep its coaches (see Mark Raymond as well), I need to stop being a sports fan. My heart doctor says so!
          Brian, I hope you rethink this when the shock wears off. Just because SLU might be his dream job doesn't mean that another job that provides different opportunities and more money and financial security isn't the right decision for him. I've always had a good amount of respect for Coach Marsh and the junior college program over there in Far West Potsdam and I think Greg continued where he left off. I'm sure the athletic director will look for someone in the same mold to keep a proud program going. I just hope he doesn't look to a successful women's coach to the east.
          Clarkson Golden Knights Men
          10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
          5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
          21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
          ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
          ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018
          7 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018
          National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

This SUCKS. Really bad for the program he was leading.

Mike Hurlbut is a terrific coach and he will almost certainly stay loyal to SLU. If he doesn't end up as HC, he'll be a great asset to whoever does, and he'll offer stability to present and committed players. We were obviously wrong about Greg, but the next great SLU coach is out there somewhere.
            I met Greg when he was with Anaheim and we had a long talk at Bright during a Saints-Crimson game. I really enjoyed his perspective on hockey, scouting players, talent evaluation, schemes, etc... . He's intelligent and the kind of guy you would want to have a beer with and talk hockey. Big gain for UMass and I'm sorry you guys are losing him. But let's face it, the exposure in Hockey East is significant and while recruiting will be tough (going against BC, BU, UNH, Providence, etc..), it's a small price to pay.

We're going to lose Paul Pearl very soon as well - perhaps when Norm Bazin accepts a pro job which is coming soon.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/ecac...osiers-mayotte

5 candidates
              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

My choice right now would be Matt Desrosiers as new head coach. I like his system that he teaches and he can get his team up for the big games. He is also a great recruiter and I believe he and Mike would fit well together
                brashersaintsfan

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  I met Greg when he was with Anaheim and we had a long talk at Bright during a Saints-Crimson game. I really enjoyed his perspective on hockey, scouting players, talent evaluation, schemes, etc... . He's intelligent and the kind of guy you would want to have a beer with and talk hockey. Big gain for UMass and I'm sorry you guys are losing him. But let's face it, the exposure in Hockey East is significant and while recruiting will be tough (going against BC, BU, UNH, Providence, etc..), it's a small price to pay.

We're going to lose Paul Pearl very soon as well - perhaps when Norm Bazin accepts a pro job which is coming soon.
                  There are many valid reasons for Greg to be attracted to tha UMASS job. I think the issue some people have is that he did lead everyone to believe he had found his dream job in Canton only to jump ship very suddenly and unexpectedly. He didn't just leave SLU, he left SLU in the lurch. He certainly has every right to pursue opportunities that he thinks are best for his family. But he really has hurt his St. Lawrence family: this was his program and he has damaged it.

None of this means he's an evil person or that Bob Durocher won't find the person who will make St. Lawrence a championship program. There are a lot of great people who might want to coach SLU, at least one of whom is already here. But that doesn't change the feeling that Greg misled a lot of people and dealt a blow to the program people were counting on him to carry into a better future.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      22 goals and 46 assists in 54 games for Oakville. Looks like a nice late pickup for St. Lawrence despite Greg Carvel leaving for UMass.
                      QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                      2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                      2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                      2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                      https://***********/QHockeyBlog
                      https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                      https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        "Honoured"??? Doesn't sound like a 'Merican to me.
                        Originally posted by mookie1995
                        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                          "Honoured"??? Doesn't sound like a 'Merican to me.
                          A good Canadian boy! /Don Cherry

Comment

There are many valid reasons for Greg to be attracted to tha UMASS job. I think the issue some people have is that he did lead everyone to believe he had found his dream job in Canton only to jump ship very suddenly and unexpectedly. He didn't just leave SLU, he left SLU in the lurch. He certainly has every right to pursue opportunities that he thinks are best for his family. But he really has hurt his St. Lawrence family: this was his program and he has damaged it.

None of this means he's an evil person or that Bob Durocher won't find the person who will make St. Lawrence a championship program. There are a lot of great people who might want to coach SLU, at least one of whom is already here. But that doesn't change the feeling that Greg misled a lot of people and dealt a blow to the program people were counting on him to carry into a better future.
                            But he really has hurt his St. Lawrence family: this was his program and he has damaged it. HE CERTAINLY DID. MONEY TALKS.
                            GO SAINTS.

Comment

How do I get on the SLU facebook hockey page?
                              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                How do I get on the SLU facebook hockey page?
                                For help getting on, ask Mike.

For help getting off, ask Joe.

😁

Comment

Working...
                                X