Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does playing fewer games hurt the Ivys in PWR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does playing fewer games hurt the Ivys in PWR?

The Ivs play about six fewer games per season than everyone else. Do you guys think this hurts in them in Pairwise Rankings? I've always wondered about this.

I'm one of those suckers for tradition, so good (I guess) for the Ivys for sticking to their guns. But not if it hurts them. You want the opportunities for extra wins, right?
    CCHA 4 LIFE

Re: Does playing fewer games hurt the Ivys in PWR?

I asked the same question about ASU a while back, didn't hear an answer.
    not that ASU's PWR is really gonna matter, but by my count they play 25 DI games this year--13 fewer than a couple of WCHA teams.
    Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

I want to say that if you win all your games, it won't matter...to use the extreme.

That being said, I'd have to imagine there IS a breaking point in balance between games played and credit in the PWR.

For the record, I tried to become a PWR guru like some on this board, and it drove me nuts. Too detailed to be worth my time to figure out. I can rattle off the very basics, and that's about it. There are some here that can mentally re-calculate on a game-by-game basis, which is helpful during conference tourneys and such. It's quite astounding.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I think Jim Dahl over at SS would be the person to ask. He is the guy that always comes out with those Pairwise predictor graphs.

He also ran a site: http://collegehockeyranked.com/ last year.
        Last edited by college pucks; 11-06-2015, 01:34 AM. Reason: added other website.

Comment

Since the skull & bones crew run the world anyhow Mookie is guessing the ivy's are fine

(Real ivy's. Not Cornell)
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
            I asked the same question about ASU a while back, didn't hear an answer.
            not that ASU's PWR is really gonna matter, but by my count they play 25 DI games this year--13 fewer than a couple of WCHA teams.
            rankings are an attempt to measure quality... any type of data measurement is hindered by bias and variance. More data means less variance. Less data means higher variance.

So, directly...no. In fact there may be some small benefit if a team rides the wave of luck and that their true state is worse. More games reveal the true state.

Now, that all being said. Its hard to deal with the biases of the method regardless of the amount of data thrown at it... but likewise itdoens't have much to do with sample size.
            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
            Skating Friar Jersey
            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
              The Ivs play about six fewer games per season than everyone else. Do you guys think this hurts in them in Pairwise Rankings? I've always wondered about this.

I'm one of those suckers for tradition, so good (I guess) for the Ivys for sticking to their guns. But not if it hurts them. You want the opportunities for extra wins, right?
              They may play five fewer games (29 total), but the number of NC opponents is effectively on par with Atlantic and the WCHA (7 vs. 6-8, 10 on rare occasions). If you were to assume the win percentage as an average (yes I understand streaks exist, but let's assume over a large sampling of seasons), the only thing that really is the difference between Ivy and AHC/WCHA is the number of head-to-head comparisons. Sure, the common opponents are reduced, but does that hurt the WCHA or AHC?

Comment

Working...
              X