No announcement yet.

Who are You Again? UNH Travels to East Lansing to Take On Sparty, 11/6-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who are You Again? UNH Travels to East Lansing to Take On Sparty, 11/6-7

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Haha, I was at that game too - in speaking to some of the UNH/Sox fans, we all agreed it was over and the Yankees had gotten us again. That fourth game was painful, because it just felt like a prolonging of the inevitable (yet left you with just the slightest bit of hope!)...

I believe UNH lost to Michigan State in the opening round of the GLI that year, as well, before coming back to beat Tech in the third-place game? Disappointing history against MSU, even when I've felt UNH has had better teams. Hopefully, they can right that ship this weekend because UNH certainly should be considered the favorite. Munn has some dumpy visitor amenities, but I wouldn't expect much of a home ice crowd - they may be worse than UNH fans, in terms of avoiding the arena or creating much noise, during the leaner years...
    The only good part about the Sox getting blown out the night before was that we watched the game in an Ann Arbor sports bar where absolutely no one (except us) was paying attention to the game.

In recent years no success against MSU for some reason, but we did make the 1982 FF by beating then in a two game total goal series at Snively. Always puzzled why we had home ice in that series. We were just a bit better than average that year, certainly not FF calibre. And Munn is a real disappointment. Dumpy arena, disinterested fans. Half as exciting as going to Yost in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      Michigan State has its own message board - www.spartantailgate.com - and they barely talk about hockey there! Especially this time of year, with football's success and basketball season gearing up...
      I got my FF ticket to Buffalo in 2003 through the Hockey-L board from a Michigan State fan who after Vanek scored told me that UNH would not win a NC until the Sox won a WS.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        The only good part about the Sox getting blown out the night before was that we watched the game in an Ann Arbor sports bar where absolutely no one (except us) was paying attention to the game.

In recent years no success against MSU for some reason, but we did make the 1982 FF by beating then in a two game total goal series at Snively. Always puzzled why we had home ice in that series. We were just a bit better than average that year, certainly not FF calibre. And Munn is a real disappointment. Dumpy arena, disinterested fans. Half as exciting as going to Yost in my book.
        Ironically, you are writing about the Sox in 2004..and you have 2004 posts..just sayin'. cool
        that's all I got today.
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-05-2015, 03:12 PM.
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Ironically, you are writing about the Sox in 2004..and you have 2004 posts..just sayin'. cool
          that's all I got today.
          So, 2004 and 2004 must mean that the Cats take 2 games and 4 points this weekend, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            So, 2004 and 2004 must mean that the Cats take 2 games and 4 points this weekend, right?
            Hey sounds like a plan to me!! Go 'Cattsss!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              WOW! That's some sweet optimism there!!

I think it's always tough to sweep on the road, so I'm going with my max for optimism and predicting we pull 3 points from the weekend.

With regards to TV coverage - gotta work your local sports bars. Many have the full DirecTV package, including all of the local Fox affiliates. Sidle up to the bar about an hour in advance, "claim" a TV and start lobbying the bartender or server for a prompt change of the station about 5 minutes before gametime. I have done this many a time (I've seen many HEA tourney games from bars in Florida!), usually without a problem. It's a Saturday night, so you'll have some contention with football, but find an out-of-the-way TV, and you should be OK. I'm guessing Hubby owes you a date - cash it in!!!

Happy watching - Emily and I are hooking up Slingbox in the NH place over the holidays (where we have DirecTV) so I can watch down here.
              Well I'll be darn there IS a live video feed:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015...104154653.aspx

My work here is done.

Comment

Well I'll be darn there IS a live video feed:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2015...104154653.aspx

My work here is done.
                You just made my weekend!

21 posts to ourselves now... Incredible that not a single Spartan has joined in.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  You just made my weekend!

21 posts to ourselves now... Incredible that not a single Spartan has joined in.
                  Is hockey not a big sport out there? Not up on the MSU athletica ....guess that live feed was just added. I know, happy!! Don't forget that these live feeds will keep charging you if you don't end your subscription after the weekend.

Go 'Catttssss!

Comment

Is hockey not a big sport out there? Not up on the MSU athletica ....guess that live feed was just added. I know, happy!! Don't forget that these live feeds will keep charging you if you don't end your subscription after the weekend.

Go 'Catttssss!
                    MSU is ranked 7 in football, 13 in pre-season hoops. What do you think?
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Have to limit this Michigan State offense and avoid making defensive mistakes that will give them any cheap goals. They struggle to find the back of the net if you force them to earn it. Three goals should win games this weekend, but Hildebrand will be a test...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                        MSU is ranked 7 in football, 13 in pre-season hoops. What do you think?
                        Hmmm well, let me think about that one...

Comment

Hmmm well, let me think about that one...
                          Hint: their hockey team is 49/60 in the early season PWR.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Pic of the team today on Instagram at the Spartans fb field so I guess that speaks..think I understand now! 😉

Comment

Is hockey not a big sport out there?
                              Ii think an earlier poster mentioned that MSU Athletics (or hockey separately?) had their own message board.

Back in the day, MSU had a strong presence on these boards. Even met a few of 'em at the '02 & '03 FF's.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

True, but let's not forget these guys, until 2008-2009, were a consistent force to be reckoned with. 3 NC's, nice NHL representation (Brind'Amour, Smolinski, Anson Carter, Duncan Keith, Torey Krug, etc.) and a couple Hobeys.

AND they brought us college's version of the large-scale outdoor games in 2001.

I guess it goes to show you, though, that we have a pretty loyal (sick? weird? masochistic?) core fan base.
                                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Working...
                                X