Ohio State vs Bemidji State 11/6 - 11/7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Bemidji State 11/6 - 11/7

First off, let's take care of some "housecleaning" ... for those coming down for the games, we do have a home football game Saturday, so on that day, parking will be $15 and you will have to park in a lot other than the normal lot next to the OSU Ice Rink as that is set aside for disability parking on game days. OK, that is out of the way, let's talk about this series. Bemidji State is obviously flying this season and will bring in a record of 8-2-2 (5-2-1 WCHA), along with a #6 ranking in the country. This series will be a huge challenge for the Buckeyes, although I think the Buckeyes are better than what they showed vs Wisconsin and Minnesota. After those series, Ohio State swept Minnesota State a couple weekends ago and had a bye week this past weekend, so they will be rested and hopefully some bumps and bruises have healed up. Bemidji State fans, tell us about your season and what to watch for this weekend. Safe travels to those making the trip and hoping for an injury-free weekend! Game times for this weekend are 6:07 pm EST Friday and 2:07 pm EST Saturday.

Re: Ohio State vs Bemidji State 11/6 - 11/7

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
    First off, let's take care of some "housecleaning" ... for those coming down for the games, we do have a home football game Saturday, so on that day, parking will be $15 and you will have to park in a lot other than the normal lot next to the OSU Ice Rink as that is set aside for disability parking on game days. OK, that is out of the way, let's talk about this series. Bemidji State is obviously flying this season and will bring in a record of 8-2-2 (5-2-1 WCHA), along with a #6 ranking in the country. This series will be a huge challenge for the Buckeyes, although I think the Buckeyes are better than what they showed vs Wisconsin and Minnesota. After those series, Ohio State swept Minnesota State a couple weekends ago and had a bye week this past weekend, so they will be rested and hopefully some bumps and bruises have healed up. Bemidji State fans, tell us about your season and what to watch for this weekend. Safe travels to those making the trip and hoping for an injury-free weekend! Game times for this weekend are 6:07 pm EST Friday and 2:07 pm EST Saturday.
    It will be interesting. In comparing how OSU and BSU played UW, BSU had 2 periods out of 6 (both Friday) where they sog-wise went toe to toe with UW. The other 4 periods UW handled BSU how they handled OSU for 6 periods. BSU did not seem as hard on UW as the past, though that could be more the way UW is playing vs the way BSU is playing. St. Cloud was pretty even on sog with BSU last weekend, a bad sign for BSU. Something inside says OSU may get some points this weekend.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      It will be interesting. In comparing how OSU and BSU played UW, BSU had 2 periods out of 6 (both Friday) where they sog-wise went toe to toe with UW. The other 4 periods UW handled BSU how they handled OSU for 6 periods. BSU did not seem as hard on UW as the past, though that could be more the way UW is playing vs the way BSU is playing. St. Cloud was pretty even on sog with BSU last weekend, a bad sign for BSU. Something inside says OSU may get some points this weekend.
      I think we will get some points this weekend. Not sure how many, but we will get some points. Bemidji will make us earn them and we need to be prepared for a hard-fought series.

Comment

Bemidji State is obviously flying this season and will bring in a record of 8-2-2 (5-2-1 WCHA), along with a #6 ranking in the country. Bemidji State fans, tell us about your season and what to watch for this weekend.
        Beavers will be sans one of their top offensive weapons with Steph Anderson at Four Nations.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

The Beavers went 0-4 agaisnt Ohio St. last year. For some reason they seem to struggle against the Buckeyes. This weekend will be no different. They swept St. Cloud last week and actually played better on Saturday without their top player Anderson there. IMO it forced the other kids to step up. I thought they played solid as a team and although the shots were close, St. Cloud never maintained any offensive zone pressure. The Beavers also have one of their top forwards back from injury and she is hitting her stride. I do think it will be a tough test and am hopeful for at least a split. There in spirit this week. Go Beavers!

Comment

Not to state the obvious but this series has important playoff implications for both teams, as do all head-to-head matchups between the "middle four" teams.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Oh how I wish this game was earlier today so I could listen in.......

GO BEAVERS!!!
              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Bemidji State takes tonight's hard-fought game by a final score of 2-1. I thought Ohio State was sloppy with the puck tonight and a couple of miscues found their way into the back of our net. Give Bemidji credit as they were very good defensively. According to the recap on ohiostatebuckeyes.com, the Beavers' goals were scored by Hanna Moher and Bailey Wright. Dana Rasmussen found the back of the net to cut the score to 2-1 with 3:30 to go in the game. Bemidji was called for interference on the play so Ohio State got a late power play but were unable to get the equalizer. The Buckeyes outshot the Beavers 22-17. Buckeye netminder Alex LaMere had 15 saves and Bemidji State goaltender Brittni Mowat was outstanding tonight with 21 saves. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm EST.

Comment

The Three Stars for the Friday game are up on the WCHA thread.

Comment

I thought Ohio State was sloppy with the puck tonight and a couple of miscues found their way into the back of our net.
                    I need to disagree a little, though not with the overall thrust of your comment. Both Bemidji goals came off turnovers, as you suggest. But in evaluating those plays, it's important to distinguish between forced and unforced errors.

To my eye, the first Bemidji goal came off a strong forecheck by Kaitlyn Tougas (#9) behind the net. The Buckeye didn't cough up the puck; she was separated from it, IMHO.

The second goal is a closer case. Hope I'm recalling correctly, but I believe that was the backhand clearing attempt that didn't lift. Certainly that's a failure to execute. Still, I wouldn't call it careless. Don't know how much curve that Buckeye has on her stick. But it can be really tough to get that backhander up in the air when you're tired and under pressure!

In the end, both turnovers led to unrushed, high quality chances in the slot. Obviously it's tough to watch your team yield chances like that.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                      I need to disagree a little, though not with the overall thrust of your comment. Both Bemidji goals came off turnovers, as you suggest. But in evaluating those plays, it's important to distinguish between forced and unforced errors.

To my eye, the first Bemidji goal came off a strong forecheck by Kaitlyn Tougas (#9) behind the net. The Buckeye didn't cough up the puck; she was separated from it, IMHO.
                      When I watched the Beavers vs. NoDak I thought it was the most aggressive and effective forecheck I'd ever seen from the Beavers. I get the impression Scanlan is definitely making that an objective. Plus now I think he has more speed / quickness to make it more effective...than previous Beaver rosters.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        When I watched the Beavers vs. NoDak I thought it was the most aggressive and effective forecheck I'd ever seen from the Beavers. I get the impression Scanlan is definitely making that an objective. Plus now I think he has more speed / quickness to make it more effective...than previous Beaver rosters.
                        Tougas was outstanding. Every time she is on the ice, she creates opportunities for the Beavers. She is thriving under Scanlan.

Comment

I stand corrected on the points thing. Bemidji proved worthy of their lofty ranking and completed the sweep today by a final score of 3-1. Senior forward Kendall Curtis scored the lone goal for the Bucks. Bemidji goals were scored by Kaitlyn Tougas, Lauren Miller, and Emma Terres. Ohio State outshot the Beavers once again, but Brittni Mowat was outstanding and only allowed two goals all weekend. Alex LaMere was in net for the Buckeyes and stopped 22 of the 25 shots she faced. The Buckeyes are back at it next weekend with a road trip to North Dakota.

Comment

Alex LaMere was in net for the Buckeyes and stopped 22 of the 25 shots she faced.
                            She stopped 22 of 24 -- the last one was an empty net.
                            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

The second goal is a closer case. Hope I'm recalling correctly, but I believe that was the backhand clearing attempt that didn't lift. Certainly that's a failure to execute. Still, I wouldn't call it careless. Don't know how much curve that Buckeye has on her stick. But it can be really tough to get that backhander up in the air when you're tired and under pressure!

In the end, both turnovers led to unrushed, high quality chances in the slot. Obviously it's tough to watch your team yield chances like that.
                              Excellent points, and there is a difference between forced and unforced errors. Bemidji's defense, as a whole, was great this past weekend. That is a tough team to play against.

Comment

Working...
                              X