D-III nooz: ECAC-NA now CHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-III nooz: ECAC-NA now CHC

Somebody in the hockey office must really be ticking off the constituents.

The schools that made up the North Atlantic are now the Colonial Hockey Conference Same schedule, same teams, same two year waiting period to get a bid.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: D-III nooz: ECAC-NA now CHC

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Somebody in the hockey office must really be ticking off the constituents.

The schools that made up the North Atlantic are now the Colonial Hockey Conference Same schedule, same teams, same two year waiting period to get a bid.
    I must be behind in my D-III hockey news. Is this a new conference or something? Who's in it?

Powers &8^]

Comment

MARSHFIELD, Mass. – Eight institutions formerly comprising the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) North Atlantic Women's Ice Hockey League announced on Monday a change in name and administration to the league. Effective this season the league will be named the Colonial Hockey Conference (CHC).

Becker College, Daniel Webster College, Endicott College, Johnson & Wales University, Morrisville State College, Salem State University, Stevenson University and SUNY Canton women's ice hockey programs will comprise the CHC.

Jamie Marcoux, Director of Athletics at Johnson and Wales, Jason Doviak, Associate Director of Athletics and Recreation for Salem State, and Randy Sieminski, Director of Athletics at SUNY Canton, will serve as the league's Executive Committee.

"We are thrilled to see the continued growth and commitment to women's ice hockey with the creation of the new Colonial Hockey Conference," said Marcoux. "Each institution in the CHC is committed to providing an exceptional experience for all of our student athletes, coaches, and fans."

"The Colonial Hockey Conference's inaugural year is something we have all worked very hard to organize for the benefit of our student-athletes, coaches, and member institutions," echoed Doviak. "There is a lot of excitement on the Salem State campus as the season nears and we are all looking forward to watching and supporting our women's team compete."

The league is comprised of institutions spanning five states (Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, New Hampshire and Rhode Island) with each state being recognized as one of the nation's 13 original colonies.

Sieminski reiterated the sentiments of his Executive Committee counterparts, "This is an outstanding group of colleges, athletic departments and women's hockey programs that have come together to form this conference. The inaugural season of competition will be exciting and rewarding for everyone involved. Teams and players are anxious to get underway this weekend, and we are proud to be a part of this historical expansion of women's college hockey."

The NCAA Management Council accepted the CHC as an active Division III single-sport playing conference this past April. The conference will be eligible for automatic qualification into the NCAA tournament after two seasons of league play.

Andy McPhee, head coach at Endicott, will serve as the league's Coaches' Chair. McPhee, like all of the league coaches, is excited to see his program hit the ice this season, "The League will make for a competitive and rewarding experience for all the student-athletes. We would like to thank the presidents, athletic directors and all those involved who made this opportunity possible. The student-athletes and coaches are eager to represent our institutions on the ice in the inaugural season of the Colonial Hockey Conference."

Comment

Those are all new or fairly new programs, aren't they?

Powers &8^]

Comment

With Canton and Morrisville of the CHC, I count seven SUNYAC schools... I hate to stir the pot, but any talk of a SUNYAC conference yet?
          Steve
          Penn State Class of '95
          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
            With Canton and Morrisville of the CHC, I count seven SUNYAC schools... I hate to stir the pot, but any talk of a SUNYAC conference yet?

To my understanding neither are full members of the SUNYAC, thus them playing women's hockey would not force a SUNYAC Women's Hockey conference they way Brockport, Geneseo Fredonia, New Paltz or Oneonta starting teams would. Last time I saw the rules they need 60% of member schools to field a team to have a championship. That would mean one more current member starting a team or one current member adding a program plus a new member of the conference with a women's team. If they could get Canton to become a full SUNYAC member maybe it would nudge one of the three SUNYAC Men's Hockey schools to start a program to form the conference?

The problem is it would be very hard for anyone in that conference to be competitive with Plattsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
              To my understanding neither are full members of the SUNYAC, thus them playing women's hockey would not force a SUNYAC Women's Hockey conference they way Brockport, Geneseo Fredonia, New Paltz or Oneonta starting teams would. Last time I saw the rules they need 60% of member schools to field a team to have a championship. That would mean one more current member starting a team or one current member adding a program plus a new member of the conference with a women's team. If they could get Canton to become a full SUNYAC member maybe it would nudge one of the three SUNYAC Men's Hockey schools to start a program to form the conference?

The problem is it would be very hard for anyone in that conference to be competitive with Plattsburgh.
              oh boy....why not just re-name it "Little Sisters of the Poor Conf"?

And the best part is....they'll soon be getting an auto-bid? What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                oh boy....why not just re-name it "Little Sisters of the Poor Conf"?

And the best part is....they'll soon be getting an auto-bid? What a joke.
                We don't make the rules, the NCAA does. And if it means that more D-III schools playing women's ice hockey great!, for that will mean an increase in tournament size.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  We don't make the rules, the NCAA does. And if it means that more D-III schools playing women's ice hockey great!, for that will mean an increase in tournament size.

Actually, I think it will mean that a MUCH more deserving team will now be left out because adding this uber-lame conference will mean an unqualified team will get an NCAA auto-bid.....and will eliminate an 'at-large' slot.

Comment

Actually, I think it will mean that a MUCH more deserving team will now be left out because adding this uber-lame conference will mean an unqualified team will get an NCAA auto-bid.....and will eliminate an 'at-large' slot.
                    A lot of those teams are new...are we close to a 9th spot?
                    UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                    NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                    Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Who made you the arbiter of "a joke" and "uber lame." If you look at the history of success of Women's D-III and the teams, not the conferences, that have won you can put most of all the conferences in the "joke" and "uber-lame" category. The division is dominated by a few teams and a few conferences. Sit down, shut up and let the sport develop.

Comment

Originally posted by gojackets View Post
                        A lot of those teams are new...are we close to a 9th spot?
                        I think within a year or two we'll be at 9. I know we're close.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by mtnscm View Post
                          Who made you the arbiter of "a joke" and "uber lame." If you look at the history of success of Women's D-III and the teams, not the conferences, that have won you can put most of all the conferences in the "joke" and "uber-lame" category. The division is dominated by a few teams and a few conferences. Sit down, shut up and let the sport develop.
                          Nice job genius, you just defeated your own argument.....If there's so much "development" going on in the game, then why is the division "dominated by a few teams"??

Tell me again how giving an auto-bid to a new Conf. with mediocre to very weak teams is fair? This isn't ncaa football where any team with an over .500 record gets to go to a Bowl game. Sit down...shut up.

Comment

Tell me again how giving an auto-bid to a new Conf. with mediocre to very weak teams is fair?
                            Because that's how pretty much every NCAA sport works?

You give conferences auto-bids to encourage schools to start programs. Eventually that expands the tournament field and everyone's no worse off.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Nice job genius, you just defeated your own argument.....If there's so much "development" going on in the game, then why is the division "dominated by a few teams"??

Tell me again how giving an auto-bid to a new Conf. with mediocre to very weak teams is fair? This isn't ncaa football where any team with an over .500 record gets to go to a Bowl game. Sit down...shut up.
                              No, this is Division III. The only football bowl game is the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl which is for all the marbles. As for the rest, I echo the sentiments of Lt. Powers.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X