Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    We're going to need a goalie before him, right? At least for the 19-20 season.
    I would think so. Max Prawdzik is a red-shirt sophomore, so he should be around for 19-20. Can't expect more than another two seasons from Oettinger. Dallas signed Ben Bishop to a six-year deal but you'd expect they'd want Oettinger to play at the next level after 18-19.

Neutral Zone‏ @_Neutral_Zone 2h2 hours ago Neutral Zone Retweeted Drew Commesso
    4.5 star prospect Drew Commesso commits to @TerrierHockey. Likely NTDP bound goalie w/ size, athleticism & poise. Dominant at #Select15s.
    Priority Selection‏ @PrioritySelect 2h2 hours ago Priority Selection Retweeted Drew Commesso
    Not OHL territory, but this is a massive get for BU. Formerly committed to UNH; arguably the top '02 goalie in the 🇺🇸
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

To start, please note that I'm not writing this to pick on Drew Commesso. I hope he is ultimately happy with his College choice. The particulars of his recruitment make a great example of why recruiting should be addressed. When he committed to UNH, he said he was excited to help rebuild a down on its luck Program and that he liked a Campus that was not in the City. Now he commits to a Program that couldn't be more in the city and couldn't be farther from needing a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        To start, please note that I'm not writing this to pick on Drew Commesso. I hope he is ultimately happy with his College choice. The particulars of his recruitment make a great example of why recruiting should be addressed. When he committed to UNH, he said he was excited to help rebuild a down on its luck Program and that he liked a Campus that was not in the City. Now he commits to a Program that couldn't be more in the city and couldn't be farther from needing a rebuild.
        Mike Buckley was the prominent goalie coach at UNH at the time of recruitment and he left to become the full time goalie coach for the NHL Penguins. I am sure that was a huge factor. Overall, I agree that recruiting is tough and needs to be fixed but cant blame a kid if a coach leaves a program they committed to. Decommits are fairly common nowadays with all the moving parts. I believe Farabee was also a UNH commit before committing to BU as well.

Comment

Players commit to coaches, not necessarily programs - especially with respect to a goalie. When the coach leaves the program before the player shows up, we shouldn't be knocking the kid because he decided to change his mind. The coach has every right to change his mind and make the best move for him and his family, the player has the same right.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

As I said, I'm not knocking the player. The fact that the Goalie Coach leaving UNH played into his decision to decommit is just another reason why recruiting should be fixed.

Comment

As I said, I'm not knocking the player. The fact that the Goalie Coach leaving UNH played into his decision to decommit is just another reason why recruiting should be fixed.
              fixed how though? mookie hopes you include provisions that disallow coaches to leave then. or make them sit out a year like kids have to if they want to change schools...
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The fact that the Goalie Coach leaving UNH played into his decision to decommit is just another reason why recruiting should be fixed.
                The coach who recruited you leaving the school before you arrive shouldn't be allowed to impact your decision? I don't follow this at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  The coach who recruited you leaving the school before you arrive shouldn't be allowed to impact your decision? I don't follow this at all.
                  That's not the coach who recruited him and it's pure speculation that's why he dropped his commitment to UNH. Speculation generated mainly to protect the coach who does the recruiting...
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    That's not the coach who recruited him and it's pure speculation that's why he dropped his commitment to UNH. Speculation generated mainly to protect the coach who does the recruiting...
                    I'll take your word on it, as I obviously have no idea what went down at UNH. But the general (albeit possibly hypothetical) thinking that a coach who recruited (or was involved in your recruitment/commitment) leaving shouldn't be allowed to change a player's mind on if he wants to play for that team doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

It sounds like what you want changed is a player's right to say nice things about a school once he commits there?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        If you think the goalie coach at a school doesn't have a significant impact on whether a goalie recruit attends said school, then I don't know where to start.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          If you think the goalie coach at a school doesn't have a significant impact on whether a goalie recruit attends said school, then I don't know where to start.
                          Agreed. The goalie coach likely means more than the head coach. Coaching changes have long had impacts on recruiting.

Is there potential that BU's resurgence and UNH's challenges played a role? Of course, but likely not the primary decision making.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            Is there potential that BU's resurgence and UNH's challenges played a role? Of course, but likely not the primary decision making.
                            He had only been committed to UNH from December 2016 to August 2017. Nothing really changed about BU or UNH's future outlook in those 8 months.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              You are 100% correct. Goalie coaches are more important to goaltenders than any head coach relationship. Mike Buckley isnt some run of the mill goalie coach - he is one of the top goalie coaches in the world. He has worked with Fleury and Matt Murray and a long list of NHL pros. We are talking a goalie coach for several Stanley Cup winning goaltenders. Him leaving UNH to become full time for the Penguins is a no brainer for him professionally but was a huge loss for UNH coaching staff - if you dont think that played a huge role in a goalie possibly decommiting then you are crazy. At the end of the day its BUs gain and UNH loss....again. Kids decommit for a wide range of reasons (they are only young kids who change their minds - shocking!!!) but having a coach leave is a legit and no brainer reason to do so.
                              Last edited by Lemonade; 09-20-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Excerpt from an interview with Commesso soon after he committed to UNH in December, 2016:

"When did you start working with former professional goalie Brian Eklund (masscrease.com)?

Commesso: I started with Coach Eklund when I was about 7 when he just started teaching goalies. He has trained me since day one and taught me everything I know about the position. He is an awesome coach who pushes me to be my best."

Eklund is BU's volunteer goalie coach.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X