Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Recruiting Update, Part 4

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    A defenseman who doesn't play defense and doesn't get the puck up the ice out of his own zone has very little value.
    You obviously don't actually watch Fortunato play if you honestly believe that. His greatest value is his ability to pass the puck and break it out of his own zone. He is undersized but he plays well positionally and has a good stick in the defensive zone. Oh yeah he was T10th in points scored for Dmen in the conference this year but yeah he has little value.

http://baystateroadsports.blogspot.com/

Comment

New recruit - Matt Quercia. Looks like he is a LW from Andover, MA, has played for the Jr Monarchs. I can't decipher the different levels. Remparts pick in the 12th round. A '99 birthdate, so 17 years old, so must be at least a year away...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=354321
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Re Quercia: This is fun reading about him visiting the Remparts last August - must be some sort of auto translation that is pretty horrible. But it mentions he dreams of playing for BU, and mentions the Bloomington Thunder of the USHL.

http://stopru.org/matthew-quercia-in...offer-him/5189
        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

OTB's Mark Bilotta :
          99 F Matt Quercia (BU) is an aggressive 6'2 F who really brought it at MA Festival. Displayed physicality, good decisions, possession skills

Matt Grainda ‏@graindaiv
          Matt Quercia (99) commits to Boston University. Skilled offensive player. Good 2-Way game. Competes, generates chances each shift. #WhosNext
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by BSRSQQ View Post
            You obviously don't actually watch Fortunato play if you honestly believe that. His greatest value is his ability to pass the puck and break it out of his own zone. He is undersized but he plays well positionally and has a good stick in the defensive zone. Oh yeah he was T10th in points scored for Dmen in the conference this year but yeah he has little value.
            I've watched every game Fortunato has played at BU. The guy cannot handle a one-man fore check. He consistently struggles, every single game, the moment a player enters the zone. He is horrible defensively and is almost always out of position. I would refer you to the game-tying-goal at UNH this year as a perfect example.

I repeat, a defenseman who can't play defense has very little value. You must be new to BU hockey if you don't understand this. Everyone who sat through the 07-08 season knows that defensemen who don't play defense have no value to the team, no matter how much offensive potential they might have (and I use that term loosely here, since Fortunato can't even bother himself to put the puck on net). I hope Fortunato improves as much in his own end as Shattenkirk did (and Cohen sort of did, some of the time). I have little hope though, since he did not improve at all from freshman to sophomore year.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
              I've watched every game Fortunato has played at BU. The guy cannot handle a one-man fore check. He consistently struggles, every single game, the moment a player enters the zone. He is horrible defensively and is almost always out of position. I would refer you to the game-tying-goal at UNH this year as a perfect example.

I repeat, a defenseman who can't play defense has very little value. You must be new to BU hockey if you don't understand this. Everyone who sat through the 07-08 season knows that defensemen who don't play defense have no value to the team, no matter how much offensive potential they might have (and I use that term loosely here, since Fortunato can't even bother himself to put the puck on net). I hope Fortunato improves as much in his own end as Shattenkirk did (and Cohen sort of did, some of the time). I have little hope though, since he did not improve at all from freshman to sophomore year.
              I am guessing that until you are on the staff, most fans will defer to Quinn, Albie and Young on that one

Stick to fantasy football

Comment

This is just asinine. Sure, he's absolutely struggled at times, mostly because of his size. But to say that he can't bother to shoot the puck tells me that you did not pay any attention this year. His freshman year, yes, I'd be surprised if you told me he attempted 20 shots all year. This year, he was much more aggressive. Still, he's not my favorite player and definitely has a lot of room to improve. But you're just talking nonsense here.
                Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  I am guessing that until you are on the staff, most fans will defer to Quinn, Albie and Young on that one

Stick to fantasy football
                  Ok, we can defer to Quinn ... who started benching Fortunato in tight games in the third period in the last half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                    This is just asinine. Sure, he's absolutely struggled at times, mostly because of his size. But to say that he can't bother to shoot the puck tells me that you did not pay any attention this year. His freshman year, yes, I'd be surprised if you told me he attempted 20 shots all year. This year, he was much more aggressive. Still, he's not my favorite player and definitely has a lot of room to improve. But you're just talking nonsense here.
                    He shot the puck seven times more than Greer did for the season. He's supposed to be an offensive defenseman playing in an offensive scheme driven by the four offensive defensemen on the team. That's not good.

Comment

Ok, we can defer to Quinn ... who started benching Fortunato in tight games in the third period in the last half of the season.
                      No he didn't
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                        No he didn't
                        Yes, he did.

Comment

He shot the puck seven times more than Greer did for the season. He's supposed to be an offensive defenseman playing in an offensive scheme driven by the four offensive defensemen on the team. That's not good.
                          He was second behind only McAvoy in assists for a dman. He isn't a natural shooter but seems like he was making some pretty good decisions out there and is effective offensively. He could shoot more though and I think he will as he gains more confidence in his shot throughout his career. His shot was much improved from freshman to sophomore year and Quinn said he was working on it with him as well. I don't think anyone is saying he is the best dman ever but to say he should be cut and has little value is ridiculous. He would be a top 4 D on any other team in HE. Maybe Top 2. He may be 5 or 6 next year for BU but that's because of BU's depth defensively.

Do you also think the US shouldn't have taken him to World Juniors last winter?

http://baystateroadsports.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, he did.
                            Must've been the other 25 on the ice.
                            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Keller on today's U18 semifinal and how he helped BU expand its 2016 recruit class. 4 p.m. on NHL Network
                              http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...olid-campaign/
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                                Keller on today's U18 semifinal and how he helped BU expand its 2016 recruit class. 4 p.m. on NHL Network
                                http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...olid-campaign/
                                Nice interview. Especially as we reach summer, i.e. "Are they coming?" season.

Comment

Working...
                                X