Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Seeley brings Lawsuit vs Quinnipiac

Here is the article

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20151013/former-quinnipiac-womens-hockey-coach-rick-seeley-files-suit-against-university

Re: Rick Seeley brings Lawsuit vs Quinnipiac

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/201...nst-university
    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

$15K! Doesn't value his time, reputation and opportunity costs much, does he?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
        $15K! Doesn't value his time, reputation and opportunity costs much, does he?
        Probably a typo...1.5 million?

Comment

Never really liked this guy. In life you get what you give and I always figured he'd get what he deserved. I can't see him winning any lawsuit.

Comment

From the article
            Seeley, the longest-tenured and most successful coach in Quinnipiac women’s hockey history, is seeking in excess of $15,000 in damages.
            $15,000?
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
              Never really liked this guy. In life you get what you give and I always figured he'd get what he deserved. I can't see him winning any lawsuit.
              Didn't like him much either, nevertheless, seems to have as strong a case for suing, as QU did for firing him. $15,000 is probably just the minimum to kick it to a higher court.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                They are going to have to take numbers for all the players who will want to testify against him.

Comment

"is seeking in excess of $15,000 in damages"

*sigh*some of the reading comprehension of the people here

my advice for him is to claim he is gay, or a transvestite, that's where the big bucks are

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                    "is seeking in excess of $15,000 in damages"

*sigh*some of the reading comprehension of the people here

my advice for him is to claim he is gay, or a transvestite, that's where the big bucks are
                    I saw the in excess of and I am wondering why so small an amount?

It's only 3 more strokes of the secretary's pinkie to make it $1,500,000.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                      They are going to have to take numbers for all the players who will want to testify against him.
                      Agreed and not only because players today are much more selfish, vindictive, and full of entitlement issues than ever before, but because he has genuinely left behind a slew of dissatisfied players and their parents during his coaching career from Quinnipiac, Clarkson, and Manhattanville. He's been a "successful" coach but his success has come at a cost too.
                      Last edited by shelfit; 10-14-2015, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bc6696 View Post
                        Didn't like him much either, nevertheless, seems to have as strong a case for suing, as QU did for firing him. $15,000 is probably just the minimum to kick it to a higher court.
                        This is close. From the Connecticut rules on pleadings:

When money damages are sought in the demand for relief, the demand for relief shall set forth: (1) That the amount, legal interest or property in demand is fifteen thousand dollars or more, exclusive of interest and costs; or (2) that the amount, legal interest or property in demand is two thousand five hundred dollars or more but is less than fifteen thousand dollars, exclusive of interest and costs; or (3) that the amount, legal interest or property in demand is less than two thousand five hundred dollars, exclusive of interest and costs. In addition, in a contract action in which only money damages are sought and in which the amount, legal interest or property in demand is less than fifteen thousand dollars, exclusive of interest and costs, the demand for relief shall also set forth whether or not the remedy sought is based upon an express or implied promise to pay a definite sum.
                        All this figure says is that Seeley is suing for at least $15,000; it gives no indication of how much he is seeking beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          This is close. From the Connecticut rules on pleadings:

All this figure says is that Seeley is suing for at least $15,000; it gives no indication of how much he is seeking beyond that.
                          You're not allowed to. That's why the rules say what they do. Many states have rules that simply say you are suing for "an amount in excess of ____", and then set a small amount, like $15,000. The reason for this is lawyers would just put an absurd number in the Complaint, like $50,000,000,000.00, and the headline of next day's paper would read, "Coach sues school for Fifty Billion dollars!" It's a rule designed to put an end to that nonsense, and has nothing to do with the actual damages claimed by the plaintiff, or what they might recover.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

In my process service days the documentation always read "not less than" $XXXXX.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Now that the law has been clarified, does anyone think Coach Seeley has a shot?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X