Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rick Seeley brings Lawsuit vs Quinnipiac

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Now that the law has been clarified, does anyone think Coach Seeley has a shot?
    the Miller drama isn't enough for you?

OK, this is women's hockey, maybe that's an angle to increase attendance and interest, between periods of every game a panel discussion of the Miller & Seely lawsuits, review of what the Kardashien's are up to, Michele Obama's tips for eating right, perhaps even highlights of the Ellen show.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

OK, this is women's hockey, maybe that's an angle to increase attendance and interest, between periods of every game a panel discussion of the Miller & Seely lawsuits, review of what the Kardashien's are up to, Michele Obama's tips for eating right, perhaps even highlights of the Ellen show.
      This thread will not get to 900 posts.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

First thought; why does a coach need a $900 a month car allowance? Was the University going to pay his auto lease or new car payment? Plus fuel and maintenance?

Second thought; this suit is partially predicated on statements made by a parent of a Clarkson player who was allegedly abused by Seeley in 2003-'04. Clarkson didn't find any wrongdoing yet apparently Q30, the student TV station ignored that piece of information and published the statements made by the father of the player. Seeley may or may not win against the University for his alleged abuse of players but he sure seems to have a case against the TV station if in fact they did not present the information regarding Clarkson's dismissal of the charges in 2004.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
          First thought; why does a coach need a $900 a month car allowance? Was the University going to pay his auto lease or new car payment? Plus fuel and maintenance?
          Pretty standard for coaches. They do a lot of driving. $900 is kind of high, though its possibly 450 for himself and 450 for a "staff" vehicle used by assistants.

Still piddly compared to college football coaches, who also get perks like membership to the country club of their choice paid for in addition to their seven-figure salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

Can we get opinions from Cait as well? Maybe ah her fashion tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post

Second thought; this suit is partially predicated on statements made by a parent of a Clarkson player who was allegedly abused by Seeley in 2003-'04. Clarkson didn't find any wrongdoing yet apparently Q30, the student TV station ignored that piece of information and published the statements made by the father of the player. Seeley may or may not win against the University for his alleged abuse of players but he sure seems to have a case against the TV station if in fact they did not present the information regarding Clarkson's dismissal of the charges in 2004.
              The media has no obligation to present both sides of the story. They can present a piece based on one side and move on, so long as they present the comments of the accuser as allegations and not fact. It's bad reporting but not a tort.

I know Clarkson didn't find any wrongdoing 10 years ago but it sure seems that now that this information has become public, the list of alleged wrongdoing is growing longer and longer.
              Clarkson Golden Knights Men
              10 Time ECAC Regular Season Champs
              5 Time ECAC Tournament Champs
              21 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Undefeated - 1956

Clarkson Golden Knights Women
              ECAC Regular Season Champs - 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018
              ECAC Tournament Champs - 2017, 2018, 2019
              12 NCAA Tournament Appearances

Frozen Four - 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2024
              National Champions - 2014, 2017, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
                The media has no obligation to present both sides of the story. They can present a piece based on one side and move on, so long as they present the comments of the accuser as allegations and not fact. It's bad reporting but not a tort.

I know Clarkson didn't find any wrongdoing 10 years ago but it sure seems that now that this information has become public, the list of alleged wrongdoing is growing longer and longer.
                Certain issues like "bullying" weren't as politically popular 10 years ago as they are now. Player sensitivity is at an all time high. The old school style of aggressive coaching is quickly fizzling out. Those that don't change and adapt their ways are slowly being forced out of coaching for one reason or another. In this case it sounds like it's a good thing that his coaching days are over. Same thing with Nate Handrahan and others. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Certain issues like "bullying" weren't as politically popular 10 years ago as they are now. Player sensitivity is at an all time high. The old school style of aggressive coaching is quickly fizzling out. Those that don't change and adapt their ways are slowly being forced out of coaching for one reason or another. In this case it sounds like it's a good thing that his coaching days are over. Same thing with Nate Handrahan and others. Good riddance.
                  Player sensitivity? More like wimpy players!! It almost seems like once they "make it" they forget what it took to get them there! They start feeling like they're entitled to playing time and if they don't get their way they pout, cry, and leave the ice! And to make matters worse, you then start having coaches catering to these girls! I'm not suggesting that bullying (REAL bullying) is tolerable, but if you can't stand the heat (yelling, bench warming, short shifts…) maybe the girls didn't have what it takes to play at the highest level.
                  I would guess (and I don't know this at all) that the coaches of the teams that make it to the NCAA playoffs don't stand for any of that kind of behavior. Work harder than the next kid and improve. Don't EXPECT to play - nothing in life is given to you. I've seen way too much of this "entitled attitude" and maybe it comes from everything given to them before they get there, but it's D1 for crying out loud. Did they never get yelled at by their travel coaches? That's not bullying. I think that's what separates the top teams from the rest of the pack - coaches don't stand for this kind of behavior from their players and players work hard because there is always someone trying to take their spot (rather than crying/pouting/back stabbing for playing time).

Comment

Originally posted by hkypassion View Post
                    player sensitivity? More like wimpy players!! It almost seems like once they "make it" they forget what it took to get them there! They start feeling like they're entitled to playing time and if they don't get their way they pout, cry, and leave the ice! And to make matters worse, you then start having coaches catering to these girls! I'm not suggesting that bullying (real bullying) is tolerable, but if you can't stand the heat (yelling, bench warming, short shifts…) maybe the girls didn't have what it takes to play at the highest level.
                    I would guess (and i don't know this at all) that the coaches of the teams that make it to the ncaa playoffs don't stand for any of that kind of behavior. Work harder than the next kid and improve. Don't expect to play - nothing in life is given to you. I've seen way too much of this "entitled attitude" and maybe it comes from everything given to them before they get there, but it's d1 for crying out loud. Did they never get yelled at by their travel coaches? That's not bullying. I think that's what separates the top teams from the rest of the pack - coaches don't stand for this kind of behavior from their players and players work hard because there is always someone trying to take their spot (rather than crying/pouting/back stabbing for playing time).
                    this.
                    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Player sensitivity? More like wimpy players!! It almost seems like once they "make it" they forget what it took to get them there! They start feeling like they're entitled to playing time and if they don't get their way they pout, cry, and leave the ice! And to make matters worse, you then start having coaches catering to these girls! I'm not suggesting that bullying (REAL bullying) is tolerable, but if you can't stand the heat (yelling, bench warming, short shifts…) maybe the girls didn't have what it takes to play at the highest level.
                      I would guess (and I don't know this at all) that the coaches of the teams that make it to the NCAA playoffs don't stand for any of that kind of behavior. Work harder than the next kid and improve. Don't EXPECT to play - nothing in life is given to you. I've seen way too much of this "entitled attitude" and maybe it comes from everything given to them before they get there, but it's D1 for crying out loud. Did they never get yelled at by their travel coaches? That's not bullying. I think that's what separates the top teams from the rest of the pack - coaches don't stand for this kind of behavior from their players and players work hard because there is always someone trying to take their spot (rather than crying/pouting/back stabbing for playing time).
                      So you are saying that Seeley's problem was yelling, benching players and giving short shifts. You also suggest that the QU players are wimpy and entitled. In summary, you blame the players. Do you have any facts or is this just crap? Because in the absence of facts, this IS crap.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                        So you are saying that Seeley's problem was yelling, benching players and giving short shifts. You also suggest that the QU players are wimpy and entitled. In summary, you blame the players. Do you have any facts or is this just crap? Because in the absence of facts, this IS crap.
                        Not at all. I probably should have started a new thread! I do not know anything about the specifics of this coach or team. My observations are in general from what I've observed and read. I feel there is a fair amount of "entitlement" and am very surprised to have seen this at the D1 level. No first hand knowledge of the UNH situation and don't believe the physical nature that was reported is appropriate, but why can a player be so disrespectful to a coach and not expect ramifications? Why do players feel it's ok to cry and pout because things aren't going as they like? Why are parents suing? Are the kids psyche these days THAT fragile? Again, probably meant for a new thread discussion.

Comment

If I was a player looking at D1 programs, one of the things I would want to see is how the coaches interact with the players. All else being equal, I would rather play for a coach who instilled a positive atmosphere over one who is, shall we say, 'passionate.' If you assume that a positive atmosphere does not mean holding players accountable, or developing discipline, or winning championships, then you have not been paying attention.

I think much of the success that Frosty and Johnson have enjoyed lately is that players feel that they can win and also have fun. Who wouldn't want that? Compare that with the churning that has occurred at some of the programs that employ 'passionate' coaches and you can see how they may have lost some of the recruiting battles.

Comment

Not at all. I probably should have started a new thread! I do not know anything about the specifics of this coach or team. My observations are in general from what I've observed and read. I feel there is a fair amount of "entitlement" and am very surprised to have seen this at the D1 level. No first hand knowledge of the UNH situation and don't believe the physical nature that was reported is appropriate, but why can a player be so disrespectful to a coach and not expect ramifications? Why do players feel it's ok to cry and pout because things aren't going as they like? Why are parents suing? Are the kids psyche these days THAT fragile? Again, probably meant for a new thread discussion.
                            Thanks for clarification and my apologies.

I have a relationship with a firm that has bullying and harassment prevention education among it's portfolio of offerings. They sell to schools (it's a required subject these days for school administrators, teachers, etc) and businesses (they carry significant legal risks these days). I will share with you what I know, with the caveat that I am not an expert.

Bullying and harassment behavior is when an individual who has power over another abuses that power. In the case of a traditional coach-player relationship, there is an inherent imbalance of power favoring the coach.

It is often difficult to know when a coach "crosses the line" and stops being a coach that has criticisms to a coach that is bullying. That line differs based on a variety of factors, and gender is one of those. So let's focus on gender. The theory I've heard: Male coaches are more likely to "cross the line" with female players because some don't understand the physical power imbalance they possess - bigger, stronger, louder. As a footnote, it is thought that some of these coaches are actually aware, but sadly enjoy, the additional power they possess.

Recent awareness of bullying as a problem in both male and female sports is a result of the strengthening of laws against harassment that has brought heightened awareness to players and parents. These laws have forced organizations to a) create avenues for filing complaints against anyone in authority who abuses their power, and b) act swiftly and decisively to prevent lawsuits.

Personally, I think this is evolved thinking. A male coach can yell, scream, throw down his hat, be real angry, and sit anyone he wants on a women's hockey team. Just don't cross the line with physical threats, physical abuse, sexual innuendo, or sexual harassment and you will be OK. Also, if you are a male coach, never have a meeting with a female player without another coach present. Just common sense given the legal climate.

So don't blame the girls. We've got a legal system driving the bus. I also feel bad for the male coaches that were told the bus was coming, but didn't get out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post
                              Probably a typo...1.5 million?
                              Has to be, 15 K is not worth it. By suing he jepordizes future employment with other schools .

Comment

Originally posted by BigSandy View Post
                                Has to be, 15 K is not worth it. By suing he jepordizes future employment with other schools .
                                It doesn't matter because either way his college coaching career is permanently over. Coaches like this get quietly and unofficially blackballed by Athletic Directors so he might as well try to sue and at least get a little money out of the situation. He gets nothing if he goes away without a fight anyway.

Coaches that earn a negative reputation like he has and other recent dismissed coaches have will very likely never work as college coaches ever again in their lives.
                                Last edited by shelfit; 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X