Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Didn't see a thread for the season, so thought I'd start it out.

Not a bad start to the season...sweep of #6 Minnesota State at their place. So far, so good.
    If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Re: UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Suppose I should add....moved up to #4 in the polls, highest ranking in school history. Not that it matters at all this early. But, again, so far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
      Didn't see a thread for the season, so thought I'd start it out.

Not a bad start to the season...sweep of #6 Minnesota State at their place. So far, so good.
      Thanks for starting it. I was gonna. Was agonizing over what to call it. Great job, by the way. Sometimes simplicity is best. Was in Mankato last weekend with about 500 other UNO fans (400 of which were on a Mavpuck junket--which I was not a part of).

FYI & FWIW. This is the highest UNO has ever been in the polls, but, they are currently #3, by the way, not # 4. The 8 first place votes they received today are more than they have in the entirety of the history of the program, much less, in a single poll.

Last weekend was the 2nd road sweep of a ranked team in school history. The other was in October, 2010, against Minnesota in UNO's first ever series with the Gophers. Neither of those games was a shut-out, though. We spent 4 weeks at #4 in the USCHO poll around that time-frame and, of course, we finished last season at #4.

I'll post some tidbits about my Mankato trip when I have more time. I am currently traveling on business.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        Thanks for starting it. I was gonna. Was agonizing over what to call it. Great job, by the way. Sometimes simplicity is best. Was in Mankato last weekend with about 500 other UNO fans (400 of which were on a Mavpuck junket--which I was not a part of).

FYI & FWIW. This is the highest UNO has ever been in the polls, but, they are currently #3, by the way, not # 4. The 8 first place votes they received today are more than they have in the entirety of the history of the program, much less, in a single poll.

Last weekend was the 2nd road sweep of a ranked team in school history. The other was in October, 2010, against Minnesota in UNO's first ever series with the Gophers. Neither of those games was a shut-out, though. We spent 4 weeks at #4 in the USCHO poll around that time-frame and, of course, we finished last season at #4.

I'll post some tidbits about my Mankato trip when I have more time. I am currently traveling on business.

Great way to start the season. The UNO fans were definitely making their presence known on the TV broadcast (MSU Sports on Charter)
        UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
          Great way to start the season. The UNO fans were definitely making their presence known on the TV broadcast (MSU Sports on Charter)
          Saw your folks at the game on Friday night in Mankato. They said they had baby-sitting duties in the Cities on Saturday night and they weren't there for that one.

Comment

Anybody here have the NCHC Annual Pass? I see they have women's teams listed. I was just wondering if they offer them too.
            "My greatest achievement."
            Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Duh....terrible typo...number 3! Now the success needs to continue to Vermont. Two road sweeps would be huge to start off the season.

Comment

I've been thinking about it. One thing I know is that they have a great support team. They've answered all my questions within a few hours of sending them in. I just dont know if the $100 is worth it since I will be able to either attend most of the games or watch them on TV. Plus, you can't have two people log onto the same account at the same time. I was going to split it with a fellow Mav fan that just moved to Alaska, but now I might just buy games individually.

But Blais seems confident in the team this year. He said he never expected last years team to make that run, but this year he believes we have a chance to go the distance. If Weninger gives us some consistent goalie play we have as good a chance as anyone.

It's a good time to be a Mavs fan. First time season ticket holder here along with 4 other recent grads.

Comment

Saw your folks at the game on Friday night in Mankato. They said they had baby-sitting duties in the Cities on Saturday night and they weren't there for that one.
                  Yeah, they originally wanted to go to both, but they got roped into babysitting my niece. If my brother had Charter or Comcast, they could've at least watched it on TV like I did.

Comment

Are you coming to STC in December for the series?

Comment

Man vs. Food. Ryan Massa takes on UNO's new Taco Cannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e33OdspxMg

Comment

Tried to give that one up last night. A couple poor decisions on defense made the game closer than it should have been. I felt comfortable with a 4-1 lead. Whoops! But a road win against a ranked opponent is a road win. Would be nice to start off 4-0 on two road series...we'll see tonight!

Comment

Tried to give that one up last night. A couple poor decisions on defense made the game closer than it should have been. I felt comfortable with a 4-1 lead. Whoops! But a road win against a ranked opponent is a road win. Would be nice to start off 4-0 on two road series...we'll see tonight!
                          It looked like we lost focus and packed it in after having a 4-1 lead. Being a fairly young team, we're going to have to learn that you have to play the last half of the game as well as you played the first half.

After getting a fairly easily accomplished 4-1 lead, we looked like we played not to lose, instead of to win, the rest of the way.

All this said, this team already looks superior to last season's. We are playing astoundingly (but not completely unexpectedly) well. There are times when we've looked scary good.

I bet Weninger is in goal tonight. Another win for us tonight would be very big come March, methinks. Vermont is a good team just like MSU is a good team.

Comment

Hard to not be pleased with a 4-0 start with two series on the road. Good start to the season.

Powerplay leaves something to be desired. That's one area that we need serious work on. Goaltending has been solid both weekends. So far, so good.

Comment

Hard to not be pleased with a 4-0 start with two series on the road. Good start to the season.

Powerplay leaves something to be desired. That's one area that we need serious work on. Goaltending has been solid both weekends. So far, so good.
                              Power play has been anemic. Most of the opportunities have come after we've "packed it in" though.

4th game in a row that we've been outshot and won, which just underscores what a meaningless stat that really is, particularly since there has been absolutely nothing fluky about all 4 of these wins on any level.

UNO is currently #1 in Pairwise, which is essentially meaningless at this point of the season. Nevertheless, I am trying to recall when this has EVER occurred before in program history at any point of any season.

No matter what, it is well deserved at this point with road sweeps against two different ranked teams in consecutive weekends, one of whom is the consensus pick to win their conference title.

I expect us to be 6-0-0 after next weekend, frankly, and we'll be #1 or # 2 on the country on Monday, too, probably.

Not exactly buying in to North Dakota who has a first year head coach, who has never been a head coach before at any level of hockey, previously.

This is the best overall product we have ever sent out on to the ice in the history of the program. By a mile.

Weninger will be the full time goalie by January 1st. Mark my words. I'm not afraid for us to play anybody, anywhere, based on what I have seen so far.
                              Last edited by Red Cows; 10-18-2015, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X