PDA

View Full Version : UNO 2015-16 Season Thread: Frozen Four, New Barn, What Next?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

5thYearFreshman
10-19-2015, 12:22 PM
UNO is #1 in the USA Today/USA Hockey poll

http://www.usahockey.com/college

#2 in the USCHO poll

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

Red Cows
10-19-2015, 12:43 PM
UNO is #1 in the USA Today/USA Hockey poll

http://www.usahockey.com/college

#2 in the USCHO poll

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

Awesome. Thought it would actually end up being the other way around.

Much deserved.

Weninger has exceed my wildest expectations of him so far in goal. My goal for this team, now, is to finish the regular season with a single digit loss total. I think this is attainable. For example, I think we quite likely win all our remaining non-conference games, all of which are at home and are against teams that are in quite different "places" than where we currently are, shall we say. Then, it's a matter of getting through conference with 9 losses or less. I could see that happening. Not saying it will, but, that is my hope.

Target. Being. Firmly. Affixed.

Polls = meaningless, though.

Chest thumping value, only. However, I would enjoy being consensus #1 next Monday.

gomavs#1
10-20-2015, 01:23 PM
According to the World-Herald, the Frozen Four banner will be dropped Friday night (as it should). Script could not have been written any better....opening new sold-out arena after first Frozen Four appearance and ranked #1 in the country for the first time. That building should be electric. Can't wait.

SilversSports
10-20-2015, 03:09 PM
Wow, #1 awesome. Really can't believe that this game on Friday isn't being aired on TV. However, I can't make the trip from South Texas this weekend, so I wanted to ask, how is the NCHC stream? The only times I've seen in were back in the pressbox on the streaming computer at a home game. It seemed okay, but I'm considering probably getting the Annual pass and want to make sure it's a decent investment before I do considering I usually get at least one NCHC game a week on my cable package (although unfortunately that's rarely the Mavs).

Red Cows
10-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Wow, #1 awesome. Really can't believe that this game on Friday isn't being aired on TV. However, I can't make the trip from South Texas this weekend, so I wanted to ask, how is the NCHC stream? The only times I've seen in were back in the pressbox on the streaming computer at a home game. It seemed okay, but I'm considering probably getting the Annual pass and want to make sure it's a decent investment before I do considering I usually get at least one NCHC game a week on my cable package (although unfortunately that's rarely the Mavs).

This game is being aired nationally on the American Sports Network:

http://americansportsnet.com/schedule/

SilversSports
10-20-2015, 07:15 PM
This game is being aired nationally on the American Sports Network:

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available in the Rio Grande Valley. So I guess I'm still wondering if the NCHC pass is worth the price.

Red Cows
10-20-2015, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available in the Rio Grande Valley. So I guess I'm still wondering if the NCHC pass is worth the price.

I can't speak to this as I have never seen a game on NCHC.tv.

I checked and the game is not available (either night) on the Mountain West network (online), either:

http://campusinsiders.com/network/mw/live

Red Cows
10-20-2015, 09:01 PM
Note to anyone in the local Omaha market wanting to watch UNO's arena opening home game with Air Force this Friday night.

It is being erroneously reported on Mavpuck (where I do not have an account) that the game is on Altitude, Direct TV channel 681.

Nope. It is on ALT2, which is 681-1 and is what channel American Sports Network says is carrying the game in this market when you type an Omaha zip code into their affiliate finder:

&

http://www.altitude.tv/pages/zip-code-search/

FYI, the Direct TV channel guide for this game's time slot says, at this writing,"To Be Announced".

I actually emailed NCHC Commissioner Josh Fenton about this yesterday and he provided me with the following reply:

Mr. ****,

Thank you for the email and interest in Omaha and NCHC Hockey.

The ASN relationship is a syndicated national relationship where stations locally and nationally are cleared to carry the games (this is true for all sports beyond hockey). The clearance happens on a week to week basis. We will likely have clearance information on the Friday game in the next 12-24 hours, which will then be promoted to our fan base, including those most interested in Omaha hockey. Because of the syndicated relationship, the clearance on channels varies and changes from week to week.

I will send you a specific email when I get the clearance information from ASN.

Thanks again for reaching out.

Best!
Josh

I take this to mean that it will show up in local viewing guides on Direct TV shortly, since it does not as I write this. I note that it also appeared in the guide (channel 42-1 on their system) for COX Cable TV here locally today, finally. Generically listed as "College Hockey" in the appropriate time frame.

Red Cows
10-21-2015, 12:58 PM
Local radio interview with Coach Blais from this morning were not a lot of substance gets covered, mostly because the local media knows almost diddly about hockey (one of the interviewers in this segment is former Husker RB Damon Benning):

https://soundcloud.com/liquid-shane-o/oct-21-seg-6-with-uno-hockey-coach-dean-blais

The most interesting takes from this interview were Coach Blais comparing his current team to his title teams at North Dakota and him mentioning that, for the first time in his career, apparently, he can now walk to work and does.

Red Cows
10-24-2015, 11:20 PM
I'll just leave it at this.

When you haven't trailed for even so much as one second of any game you've played, things are going pretty well.

Red Cows
10-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Tick, tick, tick, tick.............

That sound you hear is the countdown clock to freshman goalie Evan Weninger and his nation leading .980 save percentage, to say nothing of his 2nd best in the country .06679 GAA, being the full time UNO goalie.

We are already at the point of "What on Earth is Kirk Thompson doing out there?"

Being an upperclassman, despite the fact that you have never played particularly well when given the chance, previously, is a lousy reason to be playing, period.

Thompson doesn't stink. Weninger has just markedly outplayed him.

Not. Even. A. Contest.

SilversSports
10-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Tick, tick, tick, tick.............

That sound you hear is the countdown clock to freshman goalie Evan Weninger and his nation leading .980 save percentage, to say nothing of his 2nd best in the country .06679 GAA, being the full time UNO goalie.

We are already at the point of "What on Earth is Kirk Thompson doing out there?"

Being an upperclassman, despite the fact that you have never played particularly well when given the chance, previously, is a lousy reason to be playing, period.

Thompson doesn't stink. Weninger has just markedly outplayed him.

Not. Even. A. Contest.

I don't disagree that it's where we're heading. But I don't think you'll see that until at least closer to Thanksgiving, maybe even after Christmas. A couple years ago Massa wasn't anything special either, but he kept improving. I haven't physically watched him this year, but the description of his play is much more promising then it has been in the past. From play-by-play call it seems Thompson is moving quicker and bigger, and not giving up the big rebounds. And his stats through three games are the best start in his career.

The other thing I think needs to be done, is make Weninger prove he can do this over 7-8 or more games to make sure its not some mirage, which I don't think it is. Also, if you sit Thompson now, and Weniger implodes after Christmas to the point we need a change, you'll see them rolling out goalies who haven't played in two months.

I think Thompson plays until Christmas unless he gives up a couple straight 4-5 goal nights. I project he'll have one 5 goal night, go 2-2 in NCHC and 4-2 down the stretch to the break.

Red Cows
10-25-2015, 09:54 PM
I don't disagree that it's where we're heading. But I don't think you'll see that until at least closer to Thanksgiving, maybe even after Christmas. A couple years ago Massa wasn't anything special either, but he kept improving. I haven't physically watched him this year, but the description of his play is much more promising then it has been in the past. From play-by-play call it seems Thompson is moving quicker and bigger, and not giving up the big rebounds. And his stats through three games are the best start in his career.

The other thing I think needs to be done, is make Weninger prove he can do this over 7-8 or more games to make sure its not some mirage, which I don't think it is. Also, if you sit Thompson now, and Weniger implodes after Christmas to the point we need a change, you'll see them rolling out goalies who haven't played in two months.

I think Thompson plays until Christmas unless he gives up a couple straight 4-5 goal nights. I project he'll have one 5 goal night, go 2-2 in NCHC and 4-2 down the stretch to the break.

Well, I've said in some other posts that I believe that Weninger will be the full time goalie by New Years, at the latest. I think there is also something of a political side to this for Coach Blais. That said, take a look at Thompson's juniors numbers (or Blankenberg's, for that matter) as opposed to Thompson's. Thompson's numbers almost make you wonder why we'd have offered him, even. Weninger's juniors numbers are a highlight reel.

Both guys have played 3 complete games. Aside for the numbers I have already cited above (besides my own eye test--I've attended 4 of UNO's 6 games and seen the other two) you can look it at like this. Thompson, in the same number of minutes played, has allowed 3 1/2 times the number of goals that Weninger has. Three and one half! Yes, it is sort of small sample size but it sure isn't insignificant. More importantly, 3 of the goals that have gone in against Thompson were ones that I am sure he wishes back (the first goal Air Force got on him on Friday night was just plain awful). Untrue of either goal against Weninger. One of which was gotten in a 5 on 3 situation and the one Air Force got on Saturday night no goalie, anywhere, was stopping that shot.

We are already pretty clearly a title threat. I thought so before the season, based on what was coming back and I am even more sure of that, now, even just 6 games in. Accomplishing that feat is going to rest mostly on goaltending on this team, making the decision of who that is a huge one. Every other piece of the puzzle seems to be in place. We beat Air Force on Saturday night, mostly on the backs of our 4th line! Most schools don't even have 4 real lines. We have the most depth and firepower in the history of the program. The best goaltender we have needs to play and he needs to play all the time. IMHO, that is Weninger, both on paper and based on performance so far as well.

By the way, speaking of Massa, even before his best-season-in-goal-in-program-history season last year, he was already 5th, career all time, in GAA in program history and was 2nd in save percentage.

He hadn't exactly been chopped liver even before his off-the-charts performance last year.

I think Coach Blais is going to give Blankenberg a start somewhere in here, too, to see what he has there, as well. My guess would be a game against Ohio State, Arizona State, or the exhibition against Trinity Western. No way would I risk a league game with an unknown commodity, now.

Coach Blais did say today that it is going to be Thompson Friday and Weninger Saturday for awhile, though.

I don't like musical goalies and I don't think teams win titles with musical goalies, either.

vizoroo
10-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Congratulations on a successful Opening weekend!

5thYearFreshman
10-26-2015, 08:12 AM
I don't like musical goalies and I don't think teams win titles with musical goalies, either.

I agree with this if it is February, but as of right now, you don't want to burn out your goalie. If you have two that can get you the win, stick with two for now and go with the hot hand after the winter break

SJHovey
10-26-2015, 08:50 AM
I don't like musical goalies and I don't think teams win titles with musical goalies, either.You guys don't remember Fish on Fridays, Manno on Saturday (http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/denver/mens-hockey/2004-2005/)?

By the way, congrats on the new arena. I look forward to coming down and breaking it in, say like we did Amsoil. :p

It does look nice, though.

5thYearFreshman
10-26-2015, 12:02 PM
UNO (6-0) loses votes and ground to UND (4-0-2) due to UND's incredible sweep of the same Vermont team that UNO swept last week.

Uno and Quinnipiac are the only two unbeaten, untied teams in the nation if you exclude the smart kids who haven't had to play yet

SJHovey
10-26-2015, 01:34 PM
UNO (6-0) loses votes and ground to UND (4-0-2) due to UND's incredible sweep of the same Vermont team that UNO swept last week.

Uno and Quinnipiac are the only two unbeaten, untied teams in the nation if you exclude the smart kids who haven't had to play yetExactly one year ago Minnesota was the unanimous choice for #1. They struggled to make the tournament. Not a lot of rhyme or reason to first half college hockey polls.

Dirty
10-26-2015, 03:59 PM

Uno and Quinnipiac are the only two unbeaten, untied teams in the nation if you exclude the smart kids who haven't had to play yet

You're right, it was incredible. Winning both games by multiple goals and outshooting Vermont in both games.

gomavs#1
10-26-2015, 05:38 PM
You're right, it was incredible. Winning both games by multiple goals and outshooting Vermont in both games.

I have no problem with UND being ahead of UNO. The Fighting Hawks (that can't seriously be a finalist for the mascot, can it?) have played a tougher schedule up to this point (especially considering Minnesota State's start this season). We can only hope that both UND and UNO are still ranked 1,2 when they meet at Baxter Arena. Considering that is the second-to-last series of the year, it would be extra crazy if it happened. I'll just say it now, not going to happen.