X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Minor league auctions are generally a no-fly zone for me. The prices are beyond what I will pay because I'll never see that kind of money if I try to sell it. Most folks who buy in those auctions either don't care what they pay, they just want the jersey (example: Puck Bunnies) or they have no idea what the resale market is for minor league pro jerseys (example: Dr Smith or Lawyer Jones or Mr Duckworth who wants one to frame in their office).

Plenty of long standing jersey collectors get a private chuckle every time someone new comes on a collector forum trying to sell their $1,000 jersey for ONLY $900 because they need the money. Then they get offended when they get offers of $200-$250 for the jersey. "But I paid $1,000 for this at the auction last year..." Yes, you did. Much like a $20,000 car is worth $15,000 the minute you drive it off the lot the jersey devalues to near market price the minute you buy it.

I actually wan't aware that Copley was now in the Chicago market. Pretty much the only way I'm getting one of his Wolves jersey would be to trade a fan for one of his Tech jerseys.

Ryan J
    I hear ya. There are a LOT of jerseys I want, but the pricing is just insane. And that just isn't game-worn. Jersey prices (in all sports) have risen very dramatically. The NFL being absolutely insane.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Minor league auctions are generally a no-fly zone for me. The prices are beyond what I will pay because I'll never see that kind of money if I try to sell it. Most folks who buy in those auctions either don't care what they pay, they just want the jersey (example: Puck Bunnies) or they have no idea what the resale market is for minor league pro jerseys (example: Dr Smith or Lawyer Jones or Mr Duckworth who wants one to frame in their office).

Plenty of long standing jersey collectors get a private chuckle every time someone new comes on a collector forum trying to sell their $1,000 jersey for ONLY $900 because they need the money. Then they get offended when they get offers of $200-$250 for the jersey. "But I paid $1,000 for this at the auction last year..." Yes, you did. Much like a $20,000 car is worth $15,000 the minute you drive it off the lot the jersey devalues to near market price the minute you buy it.

I actually wan't aware that Copley was now in the Chicago market. Pretty much the only way I'm getting one of his Wolves jersey would be to trade a fan for one of his Tech jerseys.

Ryan J

Copley was part of the T.J. Oshie trade. Gave up 7 goals in his first start, and then got a shutout in his second one.

Comment

The problem with 2 and 2 is, with this schedule we can't afford more than about 5 losses and still make an at large spot in the tournament. Its math. We're 2 weeks in and can't lose more than 3, maybe 4 more games. That's a tough row to hoe.
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          I hear ya. There are a LOT of jerseys I want, but the pricing is just insane. And that just isn't game-worn. Jersey prices (in all sports) have risen very dramatically. The NFL being absolutely insane.
          That's one of the main reasons I got into game used/worn jerseys. In college I pretty sizable collection of "authentic" and replica NHL jerseys. I doubt they are worth 10% of what I paid today because they're a commodity over the counter item. Game used on the other hand is one of maybe a handful, has some historical value and if you are reasonable in what you acquire, you can get it for WAY less than the "pro quality / authentic / on-ice" jerseys sold in stores. You can go to a dealer than handles NHL teams and get a game used jersey of some cup-of-coffee NHL player for like $100. Sure its nobody you've every heard of, but it's $100 and already has a name and numbers on it. They get big bucks for the big name players, but they also need to move hundreds of jerseys from players no one knows or cares about and will forget next year. Not to mention game used jerseys are what the teams actually wear on the ice - you're not going to get any more authentic. NHL retail over the counter "authentics" are pretty much what the players wear, but NFL "authentic" isn't even close to the what the players get for game use.

Ryan J
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            The problem with 2 and 2 is, with this schedule we can't afford more than about 5 losses and still make an at large spot in the tournament. Its math. We're 2 weeks in and can't lose more than 3, maybe 4 more games. That's a tough row to hoe.
            Sorry if this is preaching to the choir here but...
            yes I get your concern but no, it depends. We could lose maybe 5 more, if we lose to the right people at the right time. What we can't afford to do much of is lose to bottom 25 teams, and we have to win a few against top 10 teams to offset that.Remember how much that loss to UAA hurt BG last year. A win there and they were in. Winning at MSU will be big for us because of the away bonus.

Plus it depends on how the other top teams do. Bemidji beating UMD was real helpful, assuming UMD wins games, but if they lose, well... Things change so much even during conference playoffs that it's hard to say. Quinnipiac for instance, ran away with the ecac last year, but came real close to losing the conference championship. If they had, they would have dropped down quite a bit and St Lawrence or Colgate might have been in instead of Providence.
            There is more and more parity and so records will be closer to 500 and more losses will still get in.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

That's one of the main reasons I got into game used/worn jerseys. ...
              Just did similar last year for a Game Issued Danny DeKeyser Red Wings jersey from Hockeytown Authentics. It was cheaper to get that jersey than it would have been to get an authentic lettered.

There are a few I've likely over-payed on, but there are a good number in my collection that I got for almost a steal.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Hitting the panic button a little early wouldn't you say? it's not even the end of October yet. long ways to go. Comparing the start this year to last season and you're going to be very disappointed. 10-0 with a number 1 ranking. that's not going to happen again anytime soon.
                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                  Hitting the panic button a little early wouldn't you say? it's not even the end of October yet. long ways to go. Comparing the start this year to last season and you're going to be very disappointed. 10-0 with a number 1 ranking. that's not going to happen again anytime soon.
                  I'm with you, it way too early to be worried about that. MTU certainly needs to be better than .500 at the end but there is plenty of time to get there. Winning the NC games will be huge plus not losing to the. Bottom of the conference but in the grand scheme of things, a loss to NMU and FSU won't look bad at the end.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Tanner Kero has picked up right where he left off last spring with the Blackhawks AHL team - Rockford Icehogs... I find it hard to believe we won't see him in a Blackhawks sweater at some point this season.
                    Might be happening sooner rather than later...
                    Blackhawks recall Kero
                    http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....f18abfe65161f5
                    The 'Hawks next game is Thursday in the 'Peg.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      I'm with you, it way too early to be worried about that. MTU certainly needs to be better than .500 at the end but there is plenty of time to get there. Winning the NC games will be huge plus not losing to the. Bottom of the conference but in the grand scheme of things, a loss to NMU and FSU won't look bad at the end.
                      Great atmosphere at the SDC Saturday night. Was great to be there in person. In regards to the lineup, I don't see Boeing or Lucchini coming out anytime soon. Same with L'Esperance. Not sure who the odd men out will be? I've not been impressed with Gillies at all....even going back to last year. Maybe this will light a fire under him.
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Jackson and Gillies have not found their stride.
                        I think Vallis and P. Anderson will get more time.

Comment

That's one of the main reasons I got into game used/worn jerseys. In college I pretty sizable collection of "authentic" and replica NHL jerseys. I doubt they are worth 10% of what I paid today because they're a commodity over the counter item. Game used on the other hand is one of maybe a handful, has some historical value and if you are reasonable in what you acquire, you can get it for WAY less than the "pro quality / authentic / on-ice" jerseys sold in stores. You can go to a dealer than handles NHL teams and get a game used jersey of some cup-of-coffee NHL player for like $100. Sure its nobody you've every heard of, but it's $100 and already has a name and numbers on it. They get big bucks for the big name players, but they also need to move hundreds of jerseys from players no one knows or cares about and will forget next year. Not to mention game used jerseys are what the teams actually wear on the ice - you're not going to get any more authentic. NHL retail over the counter "authentics" are pretty much what the players wear, but NFL "authentic" isn't even close to the what the players get for game use.

Ryan J
                          In my case, I rarely want a big name player in the first place. For hockey, it's goons and goalies. For football, it's someone I'm just a fan of. I mean, I have a Goddam Kluwe (former punter) jersey. I just want a player I have some sort of fandom for. Hell, I still sport my Vinny Testaverde creamsicle TB jersey.....
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                            Great atmosphere at the SDC Saturday night. Was great to be there in person. In regards to the lineup, I don't see Boeing or Lucchini coming out anytime soon. Same with L'Esperance. Not sure who the odd men out will be? I've not been impressed with Gillies at all....even going back to last year. Maybe this will light a fire under him.
                            There in person good, and more important what beer on tap?

Comment

Might be happening sooner rather than later...
                              Blackhawks recall Kero
                              http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news....f18abfe65161f5
                              The 'Hawks next game is Thursday in the 'Peg.
                              Ryan J
                              I happened to be in Milwaukee Saturday and caught Kero's last game before being called up. I counted at least 10 other MTU jerseys / shirts in the audience and there was a small but audible cheer when Tanner scored for the visiting Icehogs.

Comment

Anyone surprised that Even Anderson hasn't played yet? I haven't heard anything about him being injured, which would make him the only healthy skater to not play yet...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X