• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 95th Season of Hockey- Michigan Tech Huskies 2015-2016 - Thread #1

thanks for info.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
      thanks for info.
      96 wasn't great, bout 40-50 mph, 2 accidents and 2 slide offs in my 6 mile drive

Comment

Wow, great start, but losing most of the game, and to pull out the W is huge.

Good TV guys I thought, good broadcast.

Mel's postgame with Dirk:
        need to shore some things up defensively, but like our offensive efforts on the road
        Tyler stuck with it on that last goal
        Jamie maybe didn't have his best game, but need better D, good to get out of here with a W, battled hard
        Unbelievable start, they get a break and a goal on 1st scoring chance
        Hung in there down 3-1
        Heinonen/Eik/L'Esperance all had a good game, that line on for GWG, in 1st period due to a long shift tried that line and they did a real nice job
        Any thoughts to pull Jamie? No, maybe if things got more out of hand, but he's pulled us through some games, Jamied did great in 3rd
        Taxing game, shortened bench in OT, 3 lines playing for win, have some bodies here that we can use tomorrow
        Great turnout by Tech fans, thanks from Mel, appreciate their support

Comment

Our PK is in a funk again. Good to only take two penalties, but you have to kill at least one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by bghockeyphotos View Post
            The suites were awesome. Definitely a nice touch.
            You can thank the Gopher fanbase for them not letting outsiders rent the 2 biggest suites. Shirtless knows...

But yes, love that arena for what it is. It's no Mecca or REA, but it's really awesome.

And Shirtless, if your jersey list is still alive next season, I may be interested in getting a black one. I can't buy another jersey this year.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Part way thru that game last night, my buddy, who is not a big hockey fan, leans over and says, "Boy they look flat.... Just really flat." And really they weren't playing well in any phase of the game, but Coach took a time out, they gathered themselves up and played much better down the stretch. I give them a lot of credit for persevering.
              MSU was absolutely gassed by the last 5 minutes of regulation time, though they played better in OT.
              Close to 50% of the fans were from Tech.
              The changes at Munn are pretty positive, but the lighting is really cold now.

They didn't plow the parking lot though and it took me well over 2 hours to get there.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'll take 3 points on the road in non-conference. Nice to see some fight in the boys to com back from 3rd period deficit both nights.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Frankly, I think they stole what could've easily been two losses. PK was bad, PP was no better. Phillips was not very sharp. They're lucky Hildebrand was still in his rut from the last couple weekends.

The only positive from the weekend is that they escaped with a W-T, and didn't take a lot of penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    Frankly, I think they stole what could've easily been two losses. PK was bad, PP was no better. Phillips was not very sharp. They're lucky Hildebrand was still in his rut from the last couple weekends.

The only positive from the weekend is that they escaped with a W-T, and didn't take a lot of penalties.
                    Well given the very marginal nature of these penalties and what the refs didn't call, especially as time wound down, I wouldn't be too hard on them, though it sure did hurt us a the time.. More important to me was how we played such lackadaisical defense at times. I think if we keep playing from behind like this it will bite us.

It seems to me at least, that we are getting closer to really scoring a lot of goals pretty soon here, but I'd like us to stop allowing so many.
                    I thought that Phillips made the stops he should have made, but we are used to him making the unbelievable ones, and he didn't do that today. I thought Eick had a real good game, as did Mark Auk. I'm waiting for Sturos to break out and start using his strength to keep possession of the puck down low and generate more chances.
                    Also, we lost a lot of face-offs.

What did the coach have to say after the game?
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

What kills me about the goals allowed is how much of last year's defense we returned. We lost one guy on D, and returned loads of experience, and a touted redshirt recruit.

Still, I think if we were told we'd be 7-4-1 at Thanksgiving, we'd take it.

Comment

I agree, probably should've been two Ls, but stole a W-T. Defense needs to shore up.

With the shootout being just for practice, I wonder if the PBP guy and fans in the arena knew, a lot of excitement for that.

Comment

What kills me about the goals allowed is how much of last year's defense we returned. We lost one guy on D, and returned loads of experience, and a touted redshirt recruit.

Still, I think if we were told we'd be 7-4-1 at Thanksgiving, we'd take it.
                          Just remember that Defense might be the name of a position but everyone plays defense, some of the problems are as much forwards turning up for a quick attack before MTU is able to clear the zone, leading to a d-zone turnover and easier offensive opportunities.

While the blueliners are strong, the team might be slightly too offensive minded at times.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Just remember that Defense might be the name of a position but everyone plays defense, some of the problems are as much forwards turning up for a quick attack before MTU is able to clear the zone, leading to a d-zone turnover and easier offensive opportunities.

While the blueliners are strong, the team might be slightly too offensive minded at times.
                            Sure, but without looking at the stats, I find it hard to comprehend that losing one line makes such a substantial difference in GA. Did the Pietila-Kero-Johnstone line have that much possession time?

Comment

Sure, but without looking at the stats, I find it hard to comprehend that losing one line makes such a substantial difference in GA. Did the Pietila-Kero-Johnstone line have that much possession time?
                              well I think Phillips has been good, not outstanding like he was last year.

Comment

No, but they can set the example and set the tone.

Hard to say, but it kind of feels like we have more individual interest in lighting the lamp than we do team interest in getting a W. Philips has been left hanging high and dry too many times this year and at key times. If they can gel on team D, we have the multi threat team that can put up a lot of wins. Each line can score...

Comment

Working...
                                X