NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NMU Wildcats 2015-2016 Season Thread

Just trying to point out that St. Norbert's group of Defensemen were bigger as a unit than NMU's group of Defensemen this past season.... You can draw your own conclusions from the comparison!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DonorRoomDrinker View Post
      Just trying to point out that St. Norbert's group of Defensemen were bigger as a unit than NMU's group of Defensemen this past season.... You can draw your own conclusions from the comparison!!!!!!!!!!!
      There is no comparison. It's D-3 vs D-1. I've seen St Norbert. There are reasons those guys are D-3. One or two might be able to compete for a depth position at D. But I don't think any would be a guarantee to take the spot of Frantti or Vermeulen in the NMU lineup.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Per Heisenberg's Recruit Tracker, here's who's coming to town next year:

Demico Hannoun-RW 1/28/2016 Penticton (BCHL) 6' 185 10/04/95
        Luke Voltin-LW 1/28/2016 Penticton (BCHL) 5'11 180 04/13/95
        Darien Craighead-RW 8/17/2015 Chilliwack (BCHL) 6'1 170 03/07/97
        Luke Jaycox-LD 5/21/2015 Lincoln (USHL) 6'2 183 08/19/97
        Collin Peters-RW 12/24/2013 Sioux Falls (USHL) 6'0 160 02/05/97
        Brett Heikkila-F 4/10/2011 NM Wilderness (NAHL) 5'9 170 02/11/95

I got to watch Jaycox and Peters play Saturday night. Jaycox has a great sense about him on the blueline, just needs to learn to use his frame. Peters has a wicked quick shot from in close. Had a beauty of a PP goal.
        Jaycox may be still a year away.
        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

NMU has a good core of Defensemen coming back next year.... They'll need to add a few more guys for depth.... According to the previous post Jaycox is the only Freshman Defenseman recruit coming to NMU next year.... Does that mean Junttila will be getting ice time next season???? Does NMU have any transfer Defensemen coming in next year???? Maybe Davyd83 could update us on the Defensive situation for 2016-17....

2015-16 NMU Defensemen coming back next year
          Frosh - Connor Frantti (6'6" 205lbs)
          Frosh - James Vermeulen (6'2" 190lbs)
          Frosh - Ryan Black (5'9" 170lbs)
          Frosh - Jesse Junttila (5'9" 170lbs)
          Soph - Zach Urban (6'3" 205lbs)
          Soph - Jordan Klimek (5'11" 175lbs)
          Junior - Brock Maschmeyer (5'7" 175lbs)

Comment

NMU has a good core of Defensemen coming back next year.... They'll need to add a few more guys for depth.... According to the previous post Jaycox is the only Freshman Defenseman recruit coming to NMU next year.... Does that mean Junttila will be getting ice time next season???? Does NMU have any transfer Defensemen coming in next year???? Maybe Davyd83 could update us on the Defensive situation for 2016-17....

2015-16 NMU Defensemen coming back next year
            Frosh - Connor Frantti (6'6" 205lbs)
            Frosh - James Vermeulen (6'2" 190lbs)
            Frosh - Ryan Black (5'9" 170lbs)
            Frosh - Jesse Junttila (5'9" 170lbs)
            Soph - Zach Urban (6'3" 205lbs)
            Soph - Jordan Klimek (5'11" 175lbs)
            Junior - Brock Maschmeyer (5'7" 175lbs)
            I wouldn't be shocked if there were another candidate or two when the fall comes. This is the time of year where coaches across college hockey are out catching games as the Juniors get into the playoff drive looking for additional help.

Comment

NMU carried (9) Defensemen in 2015-16 and will have (7) coming back in 2016-17 along with 2016-17 Defensive recruit Jaycox so that would give them (8) Defensemen for the 2016-17 season.... Davyd83 said Jaycox may be a year away from playing at NMU so will Walt bring in a couple of additional Defensemen for next season in order to have some depth at the position???? How close am I with this 2016-17 NMU Defensive Depth Chart???? Will Connor Frantti be more of a factor next season???? What does Davyd83 think about this NMU Defensive depth chart????

Possible 2016-17 NMU Defensive Depth Chart
              #1 - Brock Maschmeyer
              #2 - Zach Urban
              #3 - James Vermeulen
              #4 - Jordan Klimek
              #5 - Connor Frantti
              #6 - Ryan Black
              #7 - Jesse Junttila
              #8 - Luke Jaycox
              Last edited by DonorRoomDrinker; 03-28-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

NMU carried (9) Defensemen in 2015-16 and will have (7) coming back in 2016-17 along with 2016-17 Defensive recruit Jaycox so that would give them (8) Defensemen for the 2016-17 season.... Davyd83 said Jaycox may be a year away from playing at NMU so will Walt bring in a couple of additional Defensemen for next season in order to have some depth at the position???? How close am I with this 2016-17 NMU Defensive Depth Chart???? Will Connor Frantti be more of a factor next season???? What does Davyd83 think about this NMU Defensive depth chart????

Possible 2016-17 NMU Defensive Depth Chart
                #1 - Brock Maschmeyer
                #2 - Zach Urban
                #3 - James Vermeulen
                #4 - Jordan Klimek
                #5 - Connor Frantti
                #6 - Ryan Black
                #7 - Jesse Junttila
                #8 - Luke Jaycox
                How the depth chart falls will be determined when they get on the ice. I do think that a good offseason will help Urban following his injury that cost him half the season. Vermeulen took big strides late in the season and looked like he could fill a bigger role next year. Klimek had an outstanding sophomore year. If he continues his upward trend, he could be even better. Maschmeyer is a proven veteran leader who should have a better year as a senior. Frantti is a solid 3rd pair defender who will be given every opportunity to see more ice as a sophomore. He certainly exceeded my expectations as a freshman. Black showed some flashes as a freshman and could be a smaller, speedier version of Jones, Kesti or Trenz as that swingman who can play up front or back on D depending on the match ups. Juntilla will battle for a depth spot with any late recruits. Jaycox is well regarded and has a lot of upside. The question is can the team afford to be patient and give him another year in junior to develop and mature or do they get him into the lineup this year.

Comment

Always nice to have Davyd83 add his insight into what's going on with the NMU Hockey team.... Behind the scenes info is hard to come by with very little ever posted on the NMU Sports website and no NMU Hockey blogs out there on the internet to follow.... You don't get much here in Marquette from the Mining Journal or the North Wind on a regular basis to keep fans informed on any coaching moves or recruiting by NMU Hockey.... I wish somebody would start up a NMU Hockey blog and post current info on the team.... NMU Hockey needs a PR person to provide info to fans on a regular basis.... I'm glad Davyd83 provides us with his insight and info regarding the NMU Hockey team on this USCHO fan forum otherwise we would be totally in the dark about the team.... Former Mining Journal sportswriter Matt Wellens used to have a NMU Hockey blog that kept fans informed on team news but he's now over in Duluth covering the UMD Hockey team so NMU Hockey fans are now in the dark about what's happening with the team due to limited coverage.... Thanks to Davyd83 for providing NMU Hockey fans with updated info here on this forum....

Comment

There are rumors around Marquette that NMU Men's Club Hockey team Captain & leading scorer Gavin Porter is trying to "walk-on" the NMU Hockey team for the 2016-17 season.... Porter is a (6'2" 210lb) Forward from Boyne City, MI and is good friends with current NMU Wildcat player Robbie Payne and played Juniors with him so Robbie told Gavin to try out for NMU for the upcoming season. Porter has previously played for the Marquette Electricians (NLHL), Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL), Granite City Lumberjacks (MNJHL) & NMU Men's Club Hockey team (ACHA) so he has a lot of experience and is a good player.... Hopefully Walt Kyle will sign him and Porter can add some scoring punch to the 2016-17 NMU Hockey team as they could use some more offense.... Has Davyd83 heard anything about this and is he aware of Gavin Porter's past success on the NMU Men's Clun Hockey team????

Comment

There are rumors around Marquette that NMU Men's Club Hockey team Captain & leading scorer Gavin Porter is trying to "walk-on" the NMU Hockey team for the 2016-17 season.... Porter is a (6'2" 210lb) Forward from Boyne City, MI and is good friends with current NMU Wildcat player Robbie Payne and played Juniors with him so Robbie told Gavin to try out for NMU for the upcoming season. Porter has previously played for the Marquette Electricians (NLHL), Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL), Granite City Lumberjacks (MNJHL) & NMU Men's Club Hockey team (ACHA) so he has a lot of experience and is a good player.... Hopefully Walt Kyle will sign him and Porter can add some scoring punch to the 2016-17 NMU Hockey team as they could use some more offense.... Has Davyd83 heard anything about this and is he aware of Gavin Porter's past success on the NMU Men's Clun Hockey team????
                      I don't know Gavin, but I do know there is a huge difference between D-2 club hockey & D-1 NCAA. The NOJHL and MNJHL. The NOJ is a low level Tier II Junior league where he played only 5 games before dropping to the Tier III Dells Ducks in a pay to play league coached by exCats G Bill Zaniboni. Then he played a year in the NAHL's Tier III NA3HL and spent the season with Granite City and never got called up to the NAHL level. Based upon his resume and the fact that he's a '93, I'd rate his chances of seeing regular season ice time with the varsity as slim.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 03-29-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        I don't know Gavin, but I do know there is a huge difference between D-2 club hockey & D-1 NCAA. The NOJHL and MNJHL. The NOJ is a low level Tier II Junior league where he played only 5 games before dropping to the Tier III Dells Ducks in a pay to play league coached by exCats G Bill Zaniboni. Then he played a year in the NAHL's Tier III NA3HL and spent the season with Granite City and never got called up to the NAHL level. Based upon his resume and the fact that he's a '93, I'd rate his chances of seeing regular season ice time with the varsity as slim.
                        You're being very kind.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

yeah, BGSU did that this season--briefly adding Andrew Savage, the captain of the DII club team, in November.
                          at that point the NCAA team was down to 7 bodies on D and needed urgent help. I believe Andrew did join the team for practices, but it was only temp. until Adam Smith and Jordan Ernst came in after the Xmas break. Savage never dressed for a game.
                          Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

• Originally posted by blackswampboy View Post
                            yeah, BGSU did that this season--briefly adding Andrew Savage, the captain of the DII club team, in November.
                            at that point the NCAA team was down to 7 bodies on D and needed urgent help. I believe Andrew did join the team for practices, but it was only temp. until Adam Smith and Jordan Ernst came in after the Xmas break. Savage never dressed for a game.
                            and at that it was only for a practice body. NMU called up G Brian Garavaglia several years ago when they had a run of injuries. He actually made a token appearance, but only once the game was decided. Tech had a club call up that actually played when Jamie Russell's squad was crushed by injuries. That whole crazy NCAA "gotta be a student" rule really limits you when needing help.

Comment

and at that it was only for a practice body. NMU called up G Brian Garavaglia several years ago when they had a run of injuries. He actually made a token appearance, but only once the game was decided. Tech had a club call up that actually played when Jamie Russell's squad was crushed by injuries. That whole crazy NCAA "gotta be a student" rule really limits you when needing help.
                              I played club hockey for 2 seasons during my NMU tenor. We had a kid who was good... really good. He tried out for NMU and did really well but did not get called up. He ended up leaving NMU and playing for a top Tier D3 team and dominated. We all agreed he would have been a solid 3rd line guy... but it is hard to make it as a walk on with scouting what it is today. There are almost ZERO unknown players. If you are good, or look like you might be, you are scouted and tracked. I had a good conversation with Walk Kyle after the Tech game at the Landmark asking him for advice for my friends 14 year old kid out in Washington who really wants to play college hockey in Michigan. He was very specific about the Junior A leagues that are scouted and those that are not.. at least not by D1. For instance, I asked him about some of the teams in my area that play in the MWJHL. He said there are some solid players in that league, but they are rarely scouted.
                              Go Cats!

Comment

I also think that davyd83 should write a weekly hockey column for the Mining Journal!
                                Go Cats!

Comment

Working...
                                X