PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

HawkStar12
10-26-2015, 01:27 PM
My instinct on the 4PM vs 7PM debate is that for everyone who does not like 4PM there is someone who prefers it.

Haven't read the entire thread, so not sure if it was mentioned, but coaches like 4pm so they can go recruit after the games. A lot of junior games are at 7 or later, so it free's them up to go to a game or get a head start on a recruiting trip. From a coaches perspective, it's ideal.

brassbonanza
10-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Oh, and ericredaxe, if there is anything worse than a Saturday 4pm start, it is a Sunday 4pm (or anytime) start. :eek:

In this case, the Sunday game works better. Absolutely no one will be there because of Halloween. The only better option would've been a 1 pm game, but with both teams playing the night before the turnaround time is too short. Denver having traveled so far, a Sunday game is probably not to their liking, but I would've bet the attendance would be comparable or better Sunday at 4 as opposed to Halloween at 4 or 7.

That said, include my group of STHs, about 10 in total, who all prefer the 7pm games. Wasn't a deterrent for us getting tickets, but the preference for us is clear. My beef has been with the way BU handled it, not necessarily the start time itself. That they first did not tell STHs prior to renewing that start times would be changed for non-TV purposes (as this is to be expected among STHs) then sprung that after payments were made is borderline dishonest. Then they go and claim there was "overwhelming feedback" from fans when, at least in my group, not a single one of us was solicited for said feedback on start times. From what I understand, there was no actual "overwhelming feedback", that it was a cover story for them simply wanting to try it out and get more kids and families into the games. What it comes off as though is the STHs being taken advantage of.

Scarlet
10-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Certainly that notion of 85% supporting it or whatever that garbage that the AD was trying to serve us isn't true.

It was 85% of the people that responded to the survey last year. Not 85% of season ticket holders. You don't respond, this is what happens. Majority of people who responded said 4pm is good, apparently.

mookie1995
10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
It was 85% of the people that responded to the survey last year. Not 85% of season ticket holders. You don't respond, this is what happens. Majority of people who responded said 4pm is good, apparently.

And 85% also felt FOH should just collect the money and that's it? The program that was set up as before appears gutted and now there is a $2500 level only for coaches corner.

brassbonanza
10-26-2015, 02:23 PM

Not sure what survey that is, but none came to my inbox that I'm seeing. When did it go out?

Rover
10-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Not sure what survey that is, but none came to my inbox that I'm seeing. When did it go out?

Same here. Don't recall being asked about 4PM start times, and isn't it a little convenient they announced this AFTER season ticket renewals were due?

This is a dumb idea that appeals to like 2 people, both of whom are probably in bed by 7:30 most nights. ;) It amazes that BU as a whole has spent years living down Silber's top down, my way or the highway philosophy which led to paltry alumni giving, but now the same attitude seems to be prevailing in the athletic department.

Rogie21
10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
I've been wondering this for the past two years... The Terrier TV Webcast is pulled directly from the Jumbotron, which really bugs me because the quality is terrible. I'm curious why they can't just stream directly from whatever is filming those HD goal videos like you mentioned?

Did some checking and learned that TerrierTV game Webcasts utilize the Arena’s four standard-definition cameras. The individual goal videos posted are from the team’s own video system, which has a single HD camera that is set higher up in the arena than the four SD units. The game highlights video, in this case, is largely from the Agganis cameras, with the exception of Hickey’s knock-hockey goal.

A nice addition to the BU athletics Web site is posting links to each player’s goals scored on their bio page, e.g. Fortunato. (http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-hockey/mtt/brandon_fortunato_921031.html)

Tater
10-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Trick or Treat in my town is from 5-7 PM (yes local police departments generally announce the time now) so weather the game is at 4 or 7 if someones kids want to trick or treat you are not going to the game. My group should have 16 tickets going unused if anyone is looking for extras.

Wow, that sucks. Probably our most marquee OOC home game this year.

I swear I trick or treated after dark when I was a kid. Times have changed. (though I think that when we roll the clocks back for EST is later in the calendar now?)

I have received (and taken) a couple of surveys the past several years. I don't recall one asking about 4pm start times.

Agganis
10-26-2015, 03:04 PM
My beef has been with the way BU handled it, not necessarily the start time itself.

I agree that BU should have communicated that they were moving more games to 4pm (even without specifics of which games) as soon as whoever in the university decided to change their scheduling philosophy.

Same here. Don't recall being asked about 4PM start times

I recall a survey sent via email late spring or early summer. I don't specifically remember whether or not it reference game time changes or what was asked about it, but I remember a survey.

And in case anyone cares I sit in a group of over a dozen 23-26 year olds who overwhelmingly support the 4pm start time as we have 3 more hours of drinking time post game on these handful of Saturdays, which is more valuable to us than the late afternoon time gained by a 7pm start.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
10-26-2015, 03:41 PM
In this case, the Sunday game works better. Absolutely no one will be there because of Halloween. The only better option would've been a 1 pm game, but with both teams playing the night before the turnaround time is too short. Denver having traveled so far, a Sunday game is probably not to their liking, but I would've bet the attendance would be comparable or better Sunday at 4 as opposed to Halloween at 4 or 7.

A 1pm Sunday game could have worked for both teams. It may have mitigated potential attendance concerns for a 4pm start on Halloween, would not have conflicted with a Patriots game, and would've enabled Denver to still fly home on Sunday evening and for their student-athletes to be in class on Monday.

That said, include my group of STHs, about 10 in total, who all prefer the 7pm games. Wasn't a deterrent for us getting tickets, but the preference for us is clear.

Ditto w/ most STHs I know. Most of the issues I know people have with 4pm are first-world problems.

For me, the 4pm start this past Saturday was a bit of a nuisance given what I had to do that day. I even considered skipping the game just so I wouldn't have to rush around earlier in the day.

For this Saturday I had booked my return flight to Boston months ago assuming the game would be 7pm. Even if my flight arrives on time, I may have just enough time to run home and drop my luggage off before heading to Agganis.

ericredaxe
10-26-2015, 04:15 PM

It was sent out sometime late spring / early summer after the end of the season. I remember it as I responded favorably for having some 4PM games.

Wow, that sucks. Probably our most marquee OOC home game this year.

I swear I trick or treated after dark when I was a kid. Times have changed. (though I think that when we roll the clocks back for EST is later in the calendar now?)

This year daylight savings is Nov 1st. Sunset on the 31st is 5:39... so yes it will be odd trick or treating in the daylight. Most years previous I think daylight savings was a few days before Halloween so even at 5:00 it was still basically dark.

Yes it sucks that the best OOC game of the year is on a holiday that will keep people with kids from attending.

Sean Pickett
10-26-2015, 07:41 PM
This year daylight savings is Nov 1st. Sunset on the 31st is 5:39... so yes it will be odd trick or treating in the daylight. Most years previous I think daylight savings was a few days before Halloween so even at 5:00 it was still basically dark.DST has ended the first Sunday in November since 2007. One of the claimed reasons (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/an-extra-hour-of-daylight-thank-the-candy-lobby/?_r=0) was to give trick-or-treaters an extra hour of daylight for safety.

As has been stated here by others, when I was young we always went out after dark. I am older, but I really don't understand trick-or-treating during daylight; it defeats the whole purpose of Halloween. Then again, having towns set trick-or-treating times, and in some places locations, also defeats the whole purpose of Halloween. Then again, Halloween is much more commercialized now then it was 40 years ago.

Sean

ericredaxe
10-26-2015, 08:10 PM
DST has ended the first Sunday in November since 2007. One of the claimed reasons (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/31/an-extra-hour-of-daylight-thank-the-candy-lobby/?_r=0) was to give trick-or-treaters an extra hour of daylight for safety.

As has been stated here by others, when I was young we always went out after dark. I am older, but I really don't understand trick-or-treating during daylight; it defeats the whole purpose of Halloween. Then again, having towns set trick-or-treating times, and in some places locations, also defeats the whole purpose of Halloween. Then again, Halloween is much more commercialized now then it was 40 years ago.

Sean

Interesting. I don't remember that much daylight while trick or treating the past couple of years, but maybe It just because it is dark by the end.... And people do tend to stay out slightly past the designated hours.

I agree it seems odd that towns set the trick or treat hours now. I don't ever remember that from when I was a kid.

Sean Pickett
10-26-2015, 08:13 PM
For the record, BU has played on Halloween 8 times, 6 at home. Here are the official attendance figures for all 8 games:
1986 at WBA – 2,774 (opening night)
1987 at Lowell – 1,182
1992 at WBA – 3,013 (opening night)
1997 at WBA – 3,467
1998 at WBA – 2,886
2004 at WBA – 3,806 (sellout)
2009 at HAA - 4,792
2014 at PC - 2,978 (sellout)

FYI, last year was the first BU Halloween game I have missed.

Sean

ericredaxe
10-26-2015, 08:32 PM
For the record, BU has played on Halloween 8 times, 6 at home. Here are the official attendance figures for all 8 games:
1986 at WBA – 2,774 (opening night)
1987 at Lowell – 1,182
1992 at WBA – 3,013 (opening night)
1997 at WBA – 3,467
1998 at WBA – 2,886
2004 at WBA – 3,806 (sellout)
2009 at HAA - 4,792
2014 at PC - 2,978 (sellout)

FYI, last year was the first BU Halloween game I have missed.

Sean

At what point though did BU start announcing actual attendance vs tickets sold?

Edit: For that matter, do we actually know that what they announce for attendance today is number of tickets scanned?

defkit
10-26-2015, 09:23 PM
Interesting. I don't remember that much daylight while trick or treating the past couple of years, but maybe It just because it is dark by the end.... And people do tend to stay out slightly past the designated hours.

I agree it seems odd that towns set the trick or treat hours now. I don't ever remember that from when I was a kid.

My take on the "arranged" hours is that it held give guidance to parents of younger kids, and allows the police/safety crews focus their time on the streets. Of course, it's not like you can't trick or treat after the allotted hours. You may just be more likely to find houses with their lights off.

ericredaxe
10-26-2015, 10:03 PM
My take on the "arranged" hours is that it held give guidance to parents of younger kids, and allows the police/safety crews focus their time on the streets. Of course, it's not like you can't trick or treat after the allotted hours. You may just be more likely to find houses with their lights off.

True the posted times are not a law, and it seems to go a little later than the posted time, but in my experience the past few years people do start shutting off their lights and it winds down pretty quickly.

Rogie21
10-27-2015, 09:41 AM
If you subscribe to TerrierTV, you get tonight's BU-UConn game as part of the package.
http://www.goterriers.com/collegesportslive/

ZRhett1
10-27-2015, 09:52 AM
If you subscribe to TerrierTV, you get tonight's BU-UConn game as part of the package.
http://www.goterriers.com/collegesportslive/

Will be interesting to compare this feed to what we have at Agganis. I'm not sure how many schools in HE stream in HD but I figure it's a decent amount of them. I'd think UConn would be one, especially considering the venue.

I'm curious what it'd take to upgrade our equipment. I'm sure it's not the cheapest thing in the world, but it can't be to ridiculous, can it?

ericredaxe
10-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Looking at both Ticketmaster and the Ticket Exchange, it seems as if tickets are available in abundance for the Halloween game.