X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    BU is too busy worrying about promoting its other teams that they don't do much for hockey from what I understand. The words that were given to me, secondhand of course, is that they think they do well enough on hockey and it'll take care of itself and they want to spend their resources promoting the basketball, lacrosse, etc. teams.
    This is a pattern I've noticed for at least the last few years following the athletics' FB, Twitter and Instagram accounts. IMO a lot of this is attributed to a confluence of events that occurred in 2012-2013: move to the Patriot League, task force recommendations, Parker->Quinn transition.

I will say, though, that I feel the current AD is more invested in hockey than Lynch was in his final years on the job. I've seen Marrochello at considerably more games (including road trips) in the past 1.5 years than I saw Lynch during his final years as AD. From what I understand Marrochello/Quinn have a very good relationship, whereas the Lynch/Parker relationship was a bit strained by the end of their respective tenures.

Comment

I'll say again for the money they're being paid they need to juggle multiple priorities or get people in here who can. I doubt Providence, fresh off a hockey title, has decided to put the hoops program on the back burner even though its their highest profile sport. Similarly while I wish all the success in the world to the lacrosse, soccer, and Quidditch teams that represent BU, if they can't get students to show up for the highest profile sport they aren't earning their paychecks.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
        This is a pattern I've noticed for at least the last few years following the athletics' FB, Twitter and Instagram accounts. IMO a lot of this is attributed to a confluence of events that occurred in 2012-2013: move to the Patriot League, task force recommendations, Parker->Quinn transition.

I will say, though, that I feel the current AD is more invested in hockey than Lynch was in his final years on the job. I've seen Marrochello at considerably more games (including road trips) in the past 1.5 years than I saw Lynch during his final years as AD. From what I understand Marrochello/Quinn have a very good relationship, whereas the Lynch/Parker relationship was a bit strained by the end of their respective tenures.
        well hells bells.. muuch opened up the vault for DQ! least he can do is be there to hold hands in case there was a tough call against the coach!!

mookie remembers the school not wanting to send the band to grand rapids for an ncaa regional in what? 2008?? mookie (alon with others according to the woman in brownie's office mookie spoke with) call the prez and told them that if they wouldn't pay, where could mookie send the check to cover the cost. in light of said phone calls the school did in fact send the band (not that it mattered of course. bu lost and some of the guys continued the tradition of playing dirty once the outcome was determined )
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

That's good to hear, though judging by the amount of promotional material I see around campus when I'm nearby, through social media as you said, etc. they're still wasting far too much of their resources on nonstarters. At some point you have to realize that putting up banners on campus trying to get people to go to the next swimming meet is a losing proposition. You also run into people tuning your message out in full because they throw up so many promotional tweets, banners, emails that are interpreted the same as junk mail. Thus, when they do send out something about a hockey game or a big basketball game, it's ignored, deleted, or scrolled past. It's promotional overload. While I applaud them for not making hockey like an SEC football team and essentially ignoring the rest of the athletic department, there comes a point where you do more harm to your department overall by investing so much effort and resources into advertising sports the vast majority of sports fans have no interest in. BU has still not figured this out and are still trying to be "fair to everyone."
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            I'll say again for the money they're being paid they need to juggle multiple priorities or get people in here who can. I doubt Providence, fresh off a hockey title, has decided to put the hoops program on the back burner even though its their highest profile sport. Similarly while I wish all the success in the world to the lacrosse, soccer, and Quidditch teams that represent BU, if they can't get students to show up for the highest profile sport they aren't earning their paychecks.
            mookie bought tickets through pc at one point. mookie is amazed at the email alerts for those two high profile sports that he gets along with promotions to entice butts in seats.
            bu (and foh) sit on their asses and figure you will come hat in hand to be a part of such a storied program

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Exactly. While PC isn't the best example since their BB team this year is really good and they have a legit Wooden Award candidate, you can promote your top programs at the same time. There's no reason they can't be trying to get kids to show up to basketball and hockey games at the same time, they almost never play on the same night. I remember when I was a student we had a meeting with some Athletics Department people about promotional materials, and for the life of them they could not understand why the 10-foot long banners they'd put in Warren where you swiped in that listed every single athletic event on campus for the upcoming month was a bad idea. It took at least three explanations from us for them to realize why no one would stop to read an enormous banner with 30 or 40 events in a long list. Granted, this was around 2007 or so, but it doesn't appear that type of mindset has changed all that much.
              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Hey BU faithful,

QU diehard and season ticket holder here. Went up to the rink today to see if my buddy could get a standing room ticket and they wouldn't even grant him that. This is the first time in my memory a game was officially sold out multiple days in advance except of course the Yale games. While sell outs are often announced, it's extremely rare that they wouldn't hand out standing room. I'm assuming you guys will bring a large contingent of fans. Best of luck, hope you enjoy the Bank!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  mookie bought tickets through pc at one point. mookie is amazed at the email alerts for those two high profile sports that he gets along with promotions to entice butts in seats.
                  bu (and foh) sit on their asses and figure you will come hat in hand to be a part of such a storied program
                  I received an email from BU yesterday about buying a Terrier hat trick ticket plan for men's hockey which listed all six remaing games, highlighting the BC game, and announcing mini bobble head dolls of BU's three Hobey winners. I also receive emails regularly about upcoming men's hockey games, as well as emails highlighting promotions and big games for other sports.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    I received an email from BU yesterday about buying a Terrier hat trick ticket plan for men's hockey which listed all six remaing games, highlighting the BC game, and announcing mini bobble head dolls of BU's three Hobey winners. I also receive emails regularly about upcoming men's hockey games, as well as emails highlighting promotions and big games for other sports.

Sean
                    I'm not positive, but I believe mookie was referencing promotional materials to students.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

BU is too busy worrying about promoting its other teams that they don't do much for hockey from what I understand. The words that were given to me, secondhand of course, is that they think they do well enough on hockey and it'll take care of itself and they want to spend their resources promoting the basketball, lacrosse, etc. teams.
                      And yet...

BU All Access Premieres Thursday on NESN
                      First episode features Matt Grzelcyk, Scott Young, Red Hot Hockey

Dec. 10, 2015
                      BOSTON - BU Terriers All Access, a new show dedicated to Boston University men's ice hockey, will debut this Thursday (Dec. 10) on NESN at 7 p.m.

The show will provide an inside look at this year's squad along with features on current and former Terriers. The first episode covers the team's trip to New York City for Red Hot Hockey along with features on senior captain Matt Grzelcyk and assistant coach Scott Young.

In addition to Thursday, the show will air on Friday (Dec. 11) at 9 p.m. and Sunday (Dec. 20) at 3 p.m. For those in parts of the country with NESN National, the first episode will air on Saturday (Dec. 12) at 2:30 p.m.

The show will also be made available online later this week.
                      http://www.goterriers.com/sports/m-h...121015aaa.html

Don't get me wrong. There's much more that can be done to promote the team and boost attendance.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Mookie didn't get no email yesterday.

I'm not positive, but I believe mookie was referencing promotional materials to students.
                        Both.

And rogie-- I get those notices from you. Not the school. Seems they rely on you and our other friend who has that list to keep the faithful up to date.

I'll get emails from the alumni assoc about giving $$$, so they have a way to get in touch with Mookie-- when they want

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                          And yet...

Don't get me wrong. There's much more that can be done to promote the team and boost attendance.
                          I should've been more clear, I meant that with respect to on-campus promotions to current students as opposed to already established season ticket holders.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I keep checking those plaques on the wall of Agganis listing "Generous Benefactors" but I haven't seen mookie's name yet. Must be using an alias...

I think The Ghost of John Silber has taken over the athletic department. They function in the same way the university used to, which was solely for the benefit of wealthy donors at the expense of everybody else. The trick is to find a balance which the school is getting better at but the sports people are not. I half expect to hear the AD has been building mansions for assistant coaches out in Brookline...
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

I should've been more clear, I meant that with respect to on-campus promotions to current students as opposed to already established season ticket holders.
                              Current students AND recent grads.
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                                And yet...

That show on NESN sounds interesting. I wish this was being promoted before the day it debuts? Anyone know if they are doing "The Season" again? If they have clips from MSG, etc., I would venture to say yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X