X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Putting the 4PM game debate aside… wow… looking at this, attendance has seriously dropped over the years.
    That's kind of the underlying problem, attendance is down across the board for nearly everyone. Some schools are responding to it certain ways. It seems BU's 4pm experiment rendered a neutral result. This was discussed among some on Twitter last night, but BU ditching Ticketmaster in favor of a less expensive (for the fan) ticket retailer, such as the one BC uses, might help. Family of four buying tickets to the next home game would be $90+ using the me plus three ticket offer. An equivalent BC game would be roughly $50. Going on the normal face value, it's a $7 per ticket fee on top of $21 face value, so $112 for four tickets. BC charges a flat $10 order charge, so that family of four pays $2.50 per ticket fees on top of a $10 ticket option. BU tiering tickets based on location might be an option worth considering, even though there are few "bad" seats at Agganis.

And I think we all can agree Hockey East needs to rework their deal with ASN/NESN and get rid of these awful 6 pm Friday games. They are infinitely worse for attendance across the board than 4 pm Saturday games.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Switzer in for Hickey
      Barry's Grandson?

It Happened!!!!

Comment

10/3/09 - St FX - ??? (Attendance listed as 4 on USCHO???)
        Hockey East Online lists 4,425. That makes the average attendance excluding the Halloween game 5,548, with the Halloween game 13.6%, or 756, less. If you include the RPI game on 11 Dec, the last home game of the first half, the average attendance was 5,466 and the drop was 12.3%, or 674, less. This season the average attendance excluding the Halloween game was 4,280 with the Halloween game 27.9%. or 1,196, less. So while it is true attendance is down this season from last season and even more so from the 2009-10 season, the Halloween game this season took double the hit that the game in 2009 took.

Speaking of Halloween games, there were 26 DI games this year and the BU-DU game was 11th in attendance. Two Atlantic Hockey games were at the bottom, but the Capital City Classic was a debacle with only 655 fans in attendance for both games, third lowest attendance for the day. The average attendance for all games was 2,762 (counting the C3 twice - if you only count the 2 games as one the average goes up to 2,847).

Sean
        Last edited by Sean Pickett; 12-10-2015, 12:46 AM. Reason: Added Halloween games attendance
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          That's kind of the underlying problem, attendance is down across the board for nearly everyone.
          Looking at BU's annual average attendance since Agganis opened the average attendance increased slightly for the first full season at HAA and then remained stable in 2006-07 before dropping in 2007-08. Attendance remained pretty stable for the next four seasons before dropping again in both 2012-13 and 2013-14. It rebounded back above the 2012-13 average last season before dropping back to again this season. There are only 6 regular season games left at Agganis, but at least 3 or 4 of them should have good attendance, so the average will likely rise, although any home playoff games will likely lower it. Still, I think the average could end up in the same range as 2012-13.

Back in Aug 2010 I posted average BU season ticket prices since 1990 through the 2010-11 season. Unfortunately I don't have the prices for 2011-12 and 2012-13 available and have been unable to find them online, but the past three seasons are below:
          2013-14 - $21.94 average
          2014-15 - $21.05 average; $15.50 (ex)/$20/$24
          2015-16 - $21.05 average; $15.50 (ex)/$20/$24

Below are the average attendance and average season ticket price for each season since Agganis opened. The first attendance number includes exhibition games while the second excludes them (the game vs. the US World Junior team at WBA is not included in last season's average).
          2004-05 - 5,256/5,313 - $18
          2005-06 - 5,410/5,569 - $18
          2006-07 - 5,466/5,498 - $20
          2007-08 - 5,138/5,170 - $20
          2008-09 - 4,969/5,055 - $21.67
          2009-10 - 5,143/5,167 - $21.67
          2010-11 - 4,996/5,027 - $22.71
          2011-12 - 4,913/4,963
          2012-13 - 4,468/4,527
          2013-14 - 4,084/4,112 - $21.94
          2014-15 - 4,682/4,787 - $21.05
          2015-16 - 4,180/4,441 - $21.05

I don't recall season ticket prices rising much, if at all, in 2011-12 and 2012-13, but if anyone has that information I would appreciate it. However, it seems that ticket prices are not the main factor driving the increase and decrease in attendance. Although attendance was not hurt much in 2010-11 or 2011-12 it appears clear that the team's lack of Beanpot and post season success in 2009-10 through 20112-13 took a toll on attendance. Last season's increase can be attributed to Jack Eichel, but it appears that many fans are not sold on the team being back just yet.

Sean
          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 12-10-2015, 12:50 AM.
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I noticed that the Pirates traded 2B Neil Walker to the Mets for LHP Jon (No, Honest She's My) Niese.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

I actually received a survey from Agganis Arena today. Regarding the Season Ticket card. Which I love by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                I noticed that the Pirates traded 2B Neil Walker to the Mets for LHP Jon (No, Honest She's My) Niese.
                Nutting hates spending money. He puts the T in turd
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Haven't been to a game this year for a couple of reasons but watching on TV the student sections look empty. That's a problem as that's your future attendees. The idea that casual fans are going to flock to Agganis to see a game is ridiculous. Unless you plan on bringing in an Eichel every year that's not going to happen.

$100 for tix for family of 4 + $12 to park, + $30 in concessions = not worth the cost of attending in person.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Haven't been to a game this year for a couple of reasons but watching on TV the student sections look empty. That's a problem as that's your future attendees. The idea that casual fans are going to flock to Agganis to see a game is ridiculous. Unless you plan on bringing in an Eichel every year that's not going to happen.

$100 for tix for family of 4 + $12 to park, + $30 in concessions = not worth the cost of attending in person.
                    Student section has varied- Packed for Providence and an electric atmosphere- Pretty good for Vt Friday but awful for 4 Pm Sat
                    Parking is now $10 but just park in Brookline and walk 1/4 mile- Eat before you go to game
                    Hockey is the one sport that is still far better in person. More though are watching or not watching as attendance is down in many hockey hobeds

Comment

Originally posted by DLG View Post
                      Student section has varied- Packed for Providence and an electric atmosphere- Pretty good for Vt Friday but awful for 4 Pm Sat
                      Parking is now $10 but just park in Brookline and walk 1/4 mile- Eat before you go to game
                      Hockey is the one sport that is still far better in person. More though are watching or not watching as attendance is down in many hockey hobeds
                      No data, but my impression is that student attendance overall is down this year (and certainly as compared to 5 years ago) for both the 4PM games and the "normal" game times alike.

You are correct though, attendance issues seem to be a subject for many teams recently. (Similar discussion on the BC, Minnesota etc threads)

Is going to the hockey games not "the thing to do" for students on campus anymore? Rewind 20 years to when I was in school, if students didn't get their tickets by Monday they would find the tickets all gone. Obviously not the case anymore.

Comment

Is going to the hockey games not "the thing to do" for students on campus anymore? Rewind 20 years to when I was in school, if students didn't get their tickets by Monday they would find the tickets all gone. Obviously not the case anymore.
                        I was a student the same time as you, so I was also spoiled by the sustained success the program had during the 90s and it's a major reason why I follow/support the program the extent I still do. But I think some of the factors that might impact student attendance compared to when we were students are:

* Tickets. There's greater supply b/c of the move from WBA->Agganis. Knowing that most non-BC games don't sell out, I can imagine students waiting 'til last-minute to decide whether or not they wanna go.

* Student demographic and interests. I think there are even more BU students than ever from non-traditional, non-hockey areas who may not have the same level of sustained interest in the hockey program over their 4 years. I think there are also even more on-campus student activities than ever, not to mention the information overload students have nowadays thanks to social media. Thus I don't think hockey stands out as much as it once did compared to other activities.

* Program's recent performance. Last season notwithstanding, the current students haven't experienced anywhere near the sustained level of success that those of us who were in school in the 90s did.

In looking at the current state of the team and the remainder of the home schedule, I don't think we'll see a strong student turnout. This includes the BC game, which is before classes start.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          I actually received a survey from Agganis Arena today. Regarding the Season Ticket card. Which I love by the way.
                          Agreed. Love not having to remember which tickets I need. Hope they continue to move in that direction next season and beyond for all STH.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Although attendance was not hurt much in 2010-11 or 2011-12 it appears clear that the team's lack of Beanpot and post season success in 2009-10 through 20112-13 took a toll on attendance. Last season's increase can be attributed to Jack Eichel, but it appears that many fans are not sold on the team being back just yet.

Sean
                            I've been to almost every game this year but I certainly wouldn't say I'm sold on the team being back. Considering the talent out there, they've been pretty awful.

Comment

I'm not sure how much money the AD, the assistant AD, the assistant to the assistant AD, and various other flunkies in the athletic department make, but I imagine its a pretty good gig. Therefore, in order to earn their salaries, its their job to drive student interest in the hockey program. Yes, kids have access to more social media but they can always text/post/whatever while at the game, so I'm not sure that's the problem. I've heard arena security is overbearing but I haven't had any experience with them myself. I do wonder how well the school is promoting the team on campus.
                              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                I'm not sure how much money the AD, the assistant AD, the assistant to the assistant AD, and various other flunkies in the athletic department make, but I imagine its a pretty good gig. Therefore, in order to earn their salaries, its their job to drive student interest in the hockey program. Yes, kids have access to more social media but they can always text/post/whatever while at the game, so I'm not sure that's the problem. I've heard arena security is overbearing but I haven't had any experience with them myself. I do wonder how well the school is promoting the team on campus.
                                Security was so overwhelming in the late 2000s and early 2010s that it got to the point where people stopped showing up, and security's presence became useless - despite still being there. Up until 2013, they still had an RSIG guy standing in the official's entryway below 106 whose job it was was to stand facing the student section and try to read student lips to see if anyone was swearing. It's that ridiculous. I've read that things similar to this are starting to happen over at Northeastern as well.

BU is too busy worrying about promoting its other teams that they don't do much for hockey from what I understand. The words that were given to me, secondhand of course, is that they think they do well enough on hockey and it'll take care of itself and they want to spend their resources promoting the basketball, lacrosse, etc. teams.

Example: This was also told to me secondhand as well, but I have no reason to doubt its validity, the BU Band was invited to play at the Union road game this year. Union reserved a block of tickets specifically for the band to come, instruments and all, and play. As far as I know, NCAA rules dictate a visiting band cannot come and play unless explicitly invited by the home school. This is the first time I've ever heard of that happening while I've been following the program. From what I understand, athletics would not pay for a bus for the band to go out to the game that night, the band didn't have the funds set aside to pay for it themselves, thus they did not go. Yet, BU found the funds to pay for a fan bus with food included to a field hockey game against Holy Cross (Turnpike Trophy!!!!!! GET EXCITED!!!!) the same week that garnered exactly zero interest. Literally no one signed up to go from what I was told. That should tell you all you need to know about where their priorities are. A group of hard-working band members willing, able, and invited to go and represent and play for their school on the road, and BU decides to spend the money instead on a ridiculous fantasy land idea of filling a bus of fans to a field hockey game at 5:00 on a Friday. Sure would've made for a heck of an environment at Union, that already was good, if our band was there as well. Who knows, the team sure looked like they could've used a little boost that night at times.
                                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                                X