This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Mookie gave up commenting on FOH a while ago now. It is one ****ed up enterprise. Just send your money and be happy they take it.

Mookie sent $25 to keep his consecutive status in check so he wouldn't lose points. Other than that, forget it.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I apologize for including the Canadian exhibition game, my mistake. As for the 4 pm games, only the Providence game attendance 'saved' the numbers. If you exclude it then the three remaining 4 pm games dropped 634 per game or 12.8%.
      Why exclude the Providence game though? By that logic we could exclude the Wisconsin (saved by parents weekend / big name OOC) or Northeastern (saved by a good contingent of NU fans making the trip across town).

Really IMO the Denver game should be taken out of the discussion as that game was not going to draw regardless of 7 or 4 with it being Halloween.

So if you exclude Denver the 4PM games actually drew better than the others.

Comment

It seems the underlying point here is that the 4pm starts didn't increase attendance in any significant way. I would expect to, and be OK with, seeing a few of them sporadically throughout the year in strategically placed spots. The exhibition is one, a couple of lower-level HE opponents, maybe one semi-important OOC game. Price those games lower, in the $15 tier, and use those games as a promotional tool for youth teams, families, and the like. That said, I would not like to see big matchups like Michigan and PC at 4 pm.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          Why exclude the Providence game though? By that logic we could exclude the Wisconsin (saved by parents weekend / big name OOC) or Northeastern (saved by a good contingent of NU fans making the trip across town).

Really IMO the Denver game should be taken out of the discussion as that game was not going to draw regardless of 7 or 4 with it being Halloween.

So if you exclude Denver the 4PM games actually drew better than the others.
          I was just pointing out that the Providence game likely had a significant bump that was not related to the 4 pm start, but to the NC game last season. To confirm this assumption I checked the attendance for all Providence games at Agganis and the last time it exceeded this season's figure was in Oct 2010. In all PC has played 19 games at Agganis and this season's game was only the sixth time attendance topped 5,500.

Nov 2015 - 5,508
          Nov 2014 - 4,648
          Nov 2013 - 4,185
          Oct 2012 - 4,850
          Jan 2013 - 5,050
          Jan 2012 - 5,171
          Feb 2011 - 4,643
          Oct 2010 - 5,795
          Feb 2010 - 5,528
          Jan 2009 - 4,242
          Mar 2009 - 4,797
          Mar 2008 - 5,532
          Dec 2007 - 5,360
          Nov 2007 - 5,793
          Jan 2006 - 5,233
          Mar 2005 - 3,444
          Mar 2005 - 3,410
          Mar 2005 - 3,214
          Jan 2005 - 6,224

However, once you start excluding any game you can find a reason to exclude another one, as you point out. That is why I included all of the games for this season when comparing the 4 pm starts to the non-4 pm starts.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
            It seems the underlying point here is that the 4pm starts didn't increase attendance in any significant way. I would expect to, and be OK with, seeing a few of them sporadically throughout the year in strategically placed spots. The exhibition is one, a couple of lower-level HE opponents, maybe one semi-important OOC game. Price those games lower, in the $15 tier, and use those games as a promotional tool for youth teams, families, and the like. That said, I would not like to see big matchups like Michigan and PC at 4 pm.
            I agree with most of this, the increase was not high enough to justify moving as many games as possible to 4pm. I just wouldn't price the 4pm games lower or be averse to having a PC or Michigan type matchup in one of them.

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            However, once you start excluding any game you can find a reason to exclude another one, as you point out. That is why I included all of the games for this season when comparing the 4 pm starts to the non-4 pm starts.
            It's not about looking for a reason to exclude a game because it doesn't support your conclusions, it's about trying to most accurately determine what the impact of moving some games 3 hours earlier had on attendance for those games. I think including the 4pm Halloween game without comparing it to a 7pm Halloween game makes the numbers less accurate, not more accurate.

Comment

Hockey East suspended Brady Shaw one game for his hit on Somerby Saturday night.
              http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...12/dec9hea.php

Former BU assistant coach and Dean of New England Scouts Bob Crocker will received the Lester Patrick Award next week at the US Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Celebration. Chris Drury is in the 2015 class of inductees. LA Kings posted a Q&A with Bob, putting his story-telling skills to good use. He has three Stanley Cup rings, two BU NCAA championship rings and a Calder Cup ring. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GDGgEbhR6o...rs%2Brings.jpg
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Hockey East suspended Brady Shaw one game for his hit on Somerby Saturday night.
                http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...12/dec9hea.php

Former BU assistant coach and Dean of New England Scouts Bob Crocker will received the Lester Patrick Award next week at the US Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Celebration. Chris Drury is in the 2015 class of inductees. LA Kings posted a Q&A with Bob, putting his story-telling skills to good use. He has three Stanley Cup rings, two BU NCAA championship rings and a Calder Cup ring. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GDGgEbhR6o...rs%2Brings.jpg
                Very excited to be going to that event. Will try to get some good pics for the blog.

Comment

See piccinich is 13-17--30 thru 25 games
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Very excited to be going to that event. Will try to get some good pics for the blog.
                    Thanks, Scarlet. See you at Quinnipiac.
                    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                      It's not about looking for a reason to exclude a game because it doesn't support your conclusions, it's about trying to most accurately determine what the impact of moving some games 3 hours earlier had on attendance for those games. I think including the 4pm Halloween game without comparing it to a 7pm Halloween game makes the numbers less accurate, not more accurate.
                      OK, BU hosted UMass Lowell on Saturday 31 Oct 2009 at 7 pm and attendance was 4,792. The Denver game this season was 3,084 or 1,708 less, a 35.6% decline in attendance.

Sean
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        OK, BU hosted UMass Lowell on Saturday 31 Oct 2009 at 7 pm and attendance was 4,792. The Denver game this season was 3,084 or 1,708 less, a 35.6% decline in attendance.

Sean
                        How much of a decrease was that from average attendance that fall, and were there any sellouts?

Comment

Boston Hockey Blog ‏@BOShockeyblog 12m12 minutes ago
                          Grzelcyk "had a setback" in Tuesday's practice and will "probably not" play this weekend per Quinn.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

And no Hickey. Gonna be a tough weekend. Skate 5? Moran to D?
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              And no Hickey. Gonna be a tough weekend. Skate 5? Moran to D?
                              Switzer in for Hickey
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                                How much of a decrease was that from average attendance that fall, and were there any sellouts?
                                I looked up to the same point from that fall:

It looks as if there were 3 sellouts.

10/3/09 - St FX - ??? (Attendance listed as 4 on USCHO???)
                                10/10/09 - U18 - 5403
                                10/23/09 - ND - 5648
                                10/24/09 - Mich - 6221
                                10/31/09 - UML - 4792
                                11/14/09 - MC - 5382
                                11/21/09 - UNH - 6150
                                12/4/09 - UVM - 5009
                                12/5/09 - BC - 6150

So the average for the non Halloween games was 5709, so the Halloween game that year drew almost 1000 less than the average (A similar drop to what we saw this year).

Putting the 4PM game debate aside… wow… looking at this, attendance has seriously dropped over the years.

Comment

Working...
                                X