X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
    If the two referees don't see it, but one of the linesmen do, they can confer and make the call. Especially when it is something egregious.
    As was explained to me, linesmen can only confer and call things that aren't judgmental - black and white calls like too many men. This was a judgmental call, one that was 100% missed.

Re: Santaguida's injury, it looked like he hurt his back from what I saw in how he was slumping over. Seems he actually hurt it a few seconds before we scored the third goal when he was down and lost his stick. Tough for him, he played really well all weekend.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      As was explained to me, linesmen can only confer and call things that aren't judgmental - black and white calls like too many men. This was a judgmental call, one that was 100% missed.
      I checked the 2014-16 NCAA Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules and Interpretations and rule 34.3 is very clear that linesmen are required to tell the referees of any penalties that they see:

34.3 Stopping Play - The lineman shall stop play:
      1. When the puck goes outside the playing area;
      2. For encroachment into the faceoff area;
      3. For the puck being played with a high stick or hand pass;
      4. For the goal cage becoming dislodged;
      5. For premature substitution of a goalkeeper (see Rule 75);
      6. For an injured player(s) (see Rule 8) or official;
      7. For too many players on the ice;
      8. When a stick, puck or any foreign object is thrown on the ice;
      9. To report a goal not observed by the referee;
      10. To report an ineligible player playing the puck; or
      11. When a player or goalkeeper’s helmet becomes dislodged.
      At the first stoppage of play, the linesman must report to the referee any
      incident or conduct calling for a penalty.

The referees are not required to call a penalty, but may do so based on what they are told by the linemen according to rule 33.1:

33.1 Disputes -
      ...In case of any dispute, the referee may change the decision or that of any other official, provided the change is made before play is renewed. The referee’s decision is final; there is no appeal...

Sean
      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
      BU Hockey highlights and extras
      NCAA Hockey Financials
      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        I missed the game as my daughter had two of her own, but I don't mind if refs confer to get a call right. When they get it wrong however...

Yes, but I'm not so sure that LaCouvee would have given up the first or second goals. That said, he gave up too many goals today, but it would appear the team played better overall so it didn't cost them.
        Watching the highlights, you can see that Shaw came quite a few strides and then went in very high on Somerby. Sneddon said the refs told him Brady "ran him from the red line." Maybe not from that far, but it sure looked like textbook charging. Because he clearly intended to go high on the 6-5 Somerby, the major was justified. As you say, getting it right is what counts.

Disagree about LaCouvee last night. While he certainly would like to have the first goal back, the second and third were the direct result of horrendous turnovers by MacLeod (who was also beaten on the first goal) and by MacAvoy. You can watch the last one on the video highlights and see LaCouvee had no chance. The number of d-zone turnovers in the two games was, to me, the most distressing aspect of the series.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          Watching the highlights, you can see that Shaw came quite a few strides and then went in very high on Somerby. Sneddon said the refs told him Brady "ran him from the red line." Maybe not from that far, but it sure looked like textbook charging. Because he clearly intended to go high on the 6-5 Somerby, the major was justified. As you say, getting it right is what counts.

Disagree about LaCouvee last night. While he certainly would like to have the first goal back, the second and third were the direct result of horrendous turnovers by MacLeod (who was also beaten on the first goal) and by MacAvoy. You can watch the last one on the video highlights and see LaCouvee had no chance. The number of d-zone turnovers in the two games was, to me, the most distressing aspect of the series.
          Thanks for the recap of the major.

As for LaCouvee, I was referring to goals Maguire gave up on Friday, not Saturday's game.

I also agree about the d-zone turnovers, which have been occurring for far longer than this past weekend. As Coach Quinn was a d-man you would think that it would not be an issue, but it is. The opposing teams are doing a great job of intercepting far too many attempts to get the puck out of the d-zone. Just another reason why I have been told Coach Quinn needs to be fired (seriously).

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

Just another reason why I have been told Coach Quinn needs to be fired (seriously).

Sean
            Seriously?
            It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
              Seriously?
              Hoky has pretty much nailed him to the cross already for the numerous holes in his coaching

Seems unless jack can recruit another Eichel for DQ we are just spinning our wheels
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

The defense has a big test this weekend, especially if Grizz isn't back as Hickey will be at the WJC camp for Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  The defense has a big test this weekend, especially if Grizz isn't back as Hickey will be at the WJC camp for Canada.
                  We don't have any games during the WJCs, right? Because I think we'd be in some trouble if we did. If Hickey, McAvoy and JFK made their respective rosters and Grizz, Olsson and Roberto were unable to play, we'd only have 17 skaters.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    We don't have any games during the WJCs, right? Because I think we'd be in some trouble if we did. If Hickey, McAvoy and JFK made their respective rosters and Grizz, Olsson and Roberto were unable to play, we'd only have 17 skaters.
                    Correct, which we should expect to be the new normal under Quinn's staff, a smart move given who they are recruiting. I am unsure if Hickey is leaving for his camp before or after this weekend's games though.

Comment

New normal? BU has always had kids in the WJC just like other programs. Certainly don't have a problem building your schedule like that, it's a shrewd move. Now I'm curious if any other programs do that or will do that. If everyone started doi g it, kinda takes away from the holiday tournaments.

Comment

If Charlie makes the US team Mookie is betting heavy on their opponent every game. He is slower than every 23yo in HEA.
                        Can't imagine how low his +\- will be against talented like-agers

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          New normal? BU has always had kids in the WJC just like other programs. Certainly don't have a problem building your schedule like that, it's a shrewd move. Now I'm curious if any other programs do that or will do that. If everyone started doi g it, kinda takes away from the holiday tournaments.
                          New normal was in reference to the schedule being built that way, not that BU kids are going to the WJC. But to that point does anyone have any idea the most BU players to ever go to one WJC? When this schedule was built there were 7 BU players that were candidates (JFK, Greenway, Letunov, MacLeod, Fortunato, McAvoy, and Hickey), although now 3-5 is probably the realistic range, but would 5 still be the most ever for the school?

Comment

Good luck in Hamden on Saturday. It should be a good game. Eli's on Whitney and Sidestreet Bar and Grill are two great places down the road for dinner. Tailgating also might be permitted in the TD Bank Sports Center parking lot. Go Bobcats!

Comment

Lucky US camp starts on 14th

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                                New normal was in reference to the schedule being built that way, not that BU kids are going to the WJC. But to that point does anyone have any idea the most BU players to ever go to one WJC? When this schedule was built there were 7 BU players that were candidates (JFK, Greenway, Letunov, MacLeod, Fortunato, McAvoy, and Hickey), although now 3-5 is probably the realistic range, but would 5 still be the most ever for the school?
                                US camp roster: Kieffer Bellows, Clayton Keller, Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Fortunato, Chad Krys.
                                http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...nt-camp-roster.

Lots of drama on the BC thread about players not invited. Very surprised Tuch wasn't invited. Bracco also snubbed and it seems his family has gone over the edge and thinks York had a hand it it.
                                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X