PDA

View Full Version : Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Rogie21
12-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Definitely a big win heading into the break. Tough to lose Ahti, hopefully he is back in time for the Beanpot.

- Greenway now has a 5 game point streak. Good to see the points starting to come, he seems to have been playing well consistently all season, just wasn't getting on the scoresheet early on.
- What a season Lane is having. He has already tied his career high in goals, and his PPG of .72 is way above is previous high of .46 (or something close to that).

Teams simply can't take the puck away from Greenway with one defender and he frequently holds his own against two. Three of the last four games, he's controlled the puck in his "office" and found Lane in the left circle for a goal. Almost clicked a second time last night. They may have to vary that set play a bit as teams will be ready for it.

On defense, Diffley played a strong game, jumping up into the offensive zone a bit more than usual. Switzer was solid with no gaffes, though I don't recall many 3rd period shifts. Kudos to Maguire for a poised, focus performance, especially during the 3rd period Quinnipiac onslaught.

Quinn, making a not-so-subtle point about the ECAC officiating, which BU will see again vs. Harvard on Jan. 7:

"But five-to-one penalties. We cannot play two ECAC teams, we got two power plays over the weekend. Welcome to ECAC hockey.

Red Hockey
12-13-2015, 09:34 AM
He certainly wouldn't be the first coach to bring that up. But at least there are linesmen named "Kitchen" and "Drain" in the league, so they have that going for them.

Scarlet
12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
The ref's name was St. Lawrence - does he ever ref games up there?

Bunch of Terriers/Terrier families- past at the games this weekend. Chris Drury, Steve Greely, Mike Pomichter were there at Yale. Last night in Hamden, Patrick MacGregor and his family, who live there, were at the game. Also so Nick Bonino's mom and dad - so good to see them!

I didn't see Dillon Lawrence on the ice at all. Not saying he never made it on the ice, but it had to have been pretty infrequent.

Is it me or has Bobo Carpenter started to pick it up? He had goals in both games this weekend.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
12-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Roger Goodell would've been proud of the ECAC crew for last night's game. St. Lawrence is either the most incompetent or most utterly biased ref I've seen at this level. So bad that he makes Kevin Shea seem only semi-incompetent.

It's not the calls against BU as much as reffing to the score in the 3rd. The 3 blatant non calls (the 2 involving Ahti, plus Greer hauled down from behind with the puck) were atrocious. All 3 happened right in his direct sightline.

The fact that one of the non-calls resulted in a significant injury makes me question the integrity of officiating in the EXAC. I know they've had issues within the league in the past and they tend to let the players play more so than HE refs, but their repeated pattern of being biased towards their league in non-conf home/neutral games is putrid.

ZYanksRule
12-13-2015, 12:45 PM
Roger Goodell would've been proud of the ECAC crew for last night's game. St. Lawrence is either the most incompetent or most utterly biased ref I've seen at this level. So bad that he makes Kevin Shea seem only semi-incompetent.

It's not the calls against BU as much as reffing to the score in the 3rd. The 3 blatant non calls (the 2 involving Ahti, plus Greer hauled down from behind with the puck) were atrocious. All 3 happened right in his direct sightline.

The fact that one of the non-calls resulted in a significant injury makes me question the integrity of officiating in the EXAC. I know they've had issues within the league in the past and they tend to let the players play more so than HE refs, but their repeated pattern of being biased towards their league in non-conf home/neutral games is putrid.

Referees in the ECAC are too incompetent to be part of a giant conspiracy. They're not biased, they're just terrible.

allnightwong
12-13-2015, 01:11 PM

From a QU fan who was there, I agree completely on two of the three calls. Ironically, the one that might hurt the most in the long run seemed the most incidental, two players moving fast and out of control. The officiating stunk, albeit mostly in Q's favor. I wish your player all the best and all the best to the Terriers moving forward.

Friend_of_BU_Hockey
12-13-2015, 01:44 PM
From a QU fan who was there, I agree completely on two of the three calls. Ironically, the one that might hurt the most in the long run seemed the most incidental, two players moving fast and out of control. The officiating stunk, albeit mostly in Q's favor. I wish your player all the best and all the best to the Terriers moving forward.

Thanks. Appears he separated his shoulder on that play. If anything the timing of the injury is "good" given the 3.5 week break between games.

BTW, the TD Bank Sports Center is a very nice facility, but I was a bit surprised by how quiet the Quinnipiac fans were. I expected them to be more into the game and I know some Quinnipiac folks called out their fellow fans on Twitter after the game. Definitely a nice place to watch a game, though, with some of the best sightlines I've seen at any rink.

allnightwong
12-13-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks. Appears he separated his shoulder on that play. If anything the timing of the injury is "good" given the 3.5 week break between games.

BTW, the TD Bank Sports Center is a very nice facility, but I was a bit surprised by how quiet the Quinnipiac fans were. I expected them to be more into the game and I know some Quinnipiac folks called out their fellow fans on Twitter after the game. Definitely a nice place to watch a game, though, with some of the best sightlines I've seen at any rink.

The rink is gorgeous, well lit and as you said you can't beat the sight lines. The fans, mostly the student section simply lacks hockey know-how. They repeat the same lame chants over and over and after the first couple minutes when they're loud and into the game, they seem to fade into oblivion. Our select group of diehards are into it but are limited in our noise level. It seems to have a minor league atmosphere at times as the original student body fans have all moved on or graduated since the opening of the Bank. It's a work in progress but at least the place is full and that's half the battle.

Bomber
12-13-2015, 03:54 PM
And if the Q doesn't lose another game they can make that "1" nice and red. :)

Did mookie make it back from CT alive? Inquiring minds and Prez Brown's office wanna know.

BU Hockey: This Could Get Interesting

brassbonanza
12-13-2015, 05:58 PM

If you're referring to the hit that led to Oksanen's injury, it was anything but incidental. The QU guy sped up from behind to catch Ahti, got a hand on his back, had his stick around and in front of Ahti and pushed/tripped him down in front of the net. The collision into the boards was a result of it and the play wouldn't have warranted a major as his momentum carried him into the boards, not the hit/trip itself, but to not call a minor for the hit from behind or trip was asinine.

mookie1995
12-13-2015, 05:58 PM
Mookie been back for a while

1:40 from hotel to house

Luv waze:D

ZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

allnightwong
12-13-2015, 07:16 PM
If you're referring to the hit that led to Oksanen's injury, it was anything but incidental. The QU guy sped up from behind to catch Ahti, got a hand on his back, had his stick around and in front of Ahti and pushed/tripped him down in front of the net. The collision into the boards was a result of it and the play wouldn't have warranted a major as his momentum carried him into the boards, not the hit/trip itself, but to not call a minor for the hit from behind or trip was asinine.

Yeah Brass, check out the QU thread. I've definitely had the chance to look at it now that you posted the link. Agree that a minor was warranted. Muh bad.

The Zlax45
12-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Referees in the ECAC are too incompetent to be part of a giant conspiracy. They're not biased, they're just terrible.

Yea the ECAC refs suck more than Hockey East. I saw it last year when Gillies was cleaned out by Brown and the Bears scored the OT game winner on it. Took the refs 10 mins to review it and overturn that.

I think the AHA refs do a better job

Nick Papagiorgio
12-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Nice win Terriers!

Those Qpac fans were becoming unbearable. Nice to see them get sent back to the kiddie table where they belong.

I stand by my prediction that BU is going to be a serious threat by the end of the year.

brassbonanza
12-14-2015, 10:07 AM
I stand by my prediction that BU is going to be a serious threat by the end of the year.

Injury statuses will be a major issue for us moving forward. Oksanen and Grzelcyk need to be out there for us to be consistently competitive. Also would be nice if Roberto's study abroad ended.

antioch1098
12-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Nice win Terriers!

Those Qpac fans were becoming unbearable. Nice to see them get sent back to the kiddie table where they belong.

We only have one loss. Nevertheless, congratulations on the big win. I hope that your injured player is okay. I was sitting right in front of where he hit the wall. I was happy to see him skate into the Quinnipiac locker room. Good luck the second half of the season. Have a Merry Christmas!

Tater
12-14-2015, 10:32 AM
We only have one loss. Nevertheless, congratulations on the big win. I hope that your injured player is okay. I was sitting right in front of where he hit the wall. I was happy to see him skate into the Quinnipiac locker room. Good luck the second half of the season. Have a Merry Christmas!

He's a BC fan. But thank you for your sentiments. :)

Nick Papagiorgio
12-14-2015, 11:14 AM
We only have one loss.

More losses are coming. Act accordingly.

Rogie21
12-15-2015, 11:22 AM
Junior National Team training camp is at Agganis today (https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/676806706710650880) through Thursday, with a morning skate at WBA on Friday before the team's exhibition game at UMass. http://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/589474?referrer_id=1093254

brassbonanza
12-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Word on the street is Greer is leaving for the Q.