X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boston University Terriers 2015-2016 Season Thread Part the 1st

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Wow - no idea. Is it someone since 1987? If so, I'll try to rack my brain. Otherwise, it is hopeless.
    Sorry, it was before 1987.

Did Oksanen start with 3 before going to 2?
    Yes, he did.

Can your database answer this? - what number is the one most frequently moved "from". I remember a string of guys starting with 25 (I think that was the number) and switching away from it. I think Magowan was one.
    Yes, although I manually tallied the information. I have 155 number changes in my database and the two numbers most frequently moved from are 2 and 25 with 12 each. However, in the fifties the number 1 goalie usually wore #1 and the number 2 goalie usually wore #2 and four of those moves from #2 are backup goalies taking the top spot and the #1 jersey. And yes, Magowan was one of three players in a row (and 4 of 5) to wear 25 then change to another number. It started in 1993-94 when Jon Coleman wore it his freshman year, before switching to 26. No one wore for 2 seasons before Dan LaCouture wore it his freshman (and only) season in 1996-97. After not being worn the following season Mike Pandolfo wore it his freshman season in 1998-99 before switching to 19. After again not being worn for a season Ken Magowan wore for his freshman and sophomore seasons from 2000-02, before switching to 15. After yet again not being worn for a season Eric Thomassian wore his freshman season in 2003-04 before switching to 17. The following season, 2004-5 Pat Percella wore it his freshman (and only season). Then after not being worn for 2 seasons Colby Cohen wore it for his three seasons as a Terrier (2007-10). The last Terrier to wear 25 for four seasons was Darin MacDonald (1987-91). It is also the number with the largest differential of players moving from and moving to it, at -8.

FYI, 11 and 27 are tied for most players moving to them with 11 each, but 27 has the largest differential with a +10.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      I realize that the season is underway, but as I was updating my database with player numbers I noticed that Oksanen and Lawrence are both wearing their third different number at BU. That makes them the 9th and 10th Terriers to do so, and Lawrence could become just the second Terrier to wear four different numbers in his BU career next season. Does anyone know who the only Terrier to wear four different numbers was (and what 4 numbers he wore)?

Sean
      While you're mulling over Sean's stumper, here's another one to ponder. Which BU player wore one number on his home sweater, and a different number on his road sweater for an entire season? Player and the numbers, please. Sean isn't eligible.
      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
        While you're mulling over Sean's stumper, here's another one to ponder. Which BU player wore one number on his home sweater, and a different number on his road sweater for an entire season? Player and the numbers, please. Sean isn't eligible.
        Wasn't it Joe Sacco who wore 14 at home, 24 on the road? Don't recall which season, though...But didn't Mike Sullivan wear 24 and they were teammates for 3 years?

Comment

Too bad, because I don't even need my database to answer that one. However, I have no idea why, so if you can enlighten us I would appreciate it.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
            Wasn't it Joe Sacco who wore 14 at home, 24 on the road? Don't recall which season, though...But didn't Mike Sullivan wear 24 and they were teammates for 3 years?
            Well, to the best of my recollection, it was Sullivan who wore 14 at home, 24 on road. He did this for one season (87-88, or 88-89). Why this was so, I have no idea. I don't recall Joe Sacco doing so, but I may be wrong (tall beers were much cheaper in those days).
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Well, to the best of my recollection, it was Sullivan who wore 14 at home, 24 on road. He did this for one season (87-88, or 88-89). Why this was so, I have no idea. I don't recall Joe Sacco doing so, but I may be wrong (tall beers were much cheaper in those days).
              Yes, it was Mike Sullivan his freshman season (1986-87) He then wore #24 his final three seasons (1987-90), while Joe Sacco wore #14 his three seasons at BU (1987-90).

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Does Agganis have WiFi yet? #Cubs
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                  Does Agganis have WiFi yet? #Cubs
                  You can connect to BU guest wifi but the reception during games, especially intermissions is god awful.
                  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I saw on twitter that there is a new Cane's Challenge video.

mookie is so not going to be happy......

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDuhLW10odw
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Yes, it was Mike Sullivan his freshman season (1986-87) He then wore #24 his final three seasons (1987-90), while Joe Sacco wore #14 his three seasons at BU (1987-90).

Sean
                        How odd...that '86-'87 season was my first at BU and the first time I ever saw a hockey game. I didn't notice that quirk, but then again, it was all mass confusion to me ("tell me again why is Scott Young up by the blue line when we have a power play if he is a forward?"). And didn't the ref also lift their arms up when a goal was scored back then, rather than point at the net (even though it was the same sign as a penalty)? See, more confusion...

So did anyone else wear 24 at home and/or 14 on the road during that same season? Could this be as simple as due to a mix up when ordering jerseys? Such that they literally didn't have the matching 24 home jersey?
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          Why is mookie not going to be happy about that? I like that they used actual BU people in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            Why is mookie not going to be happy about that? I like that they used actual BU people in it.
                            Jasmine didn't make a guest appearance.
                            Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post

Goddammit

There were 2 sweetie pies in the original
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

woo boy... pee UUUUUUUUUUUUU

a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X